Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best strategy if R space appears within 24 hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F

I don't know if this should belong to any particular thread. If so, mods please feel free to merge this into the thread.

Nowadays it becomes more and more common that R space would only be opened within 24 hours of the flight. I've thinked of the following strategies:
  1. Do not apply RPU/GPU. When R space shows up within 24 hours, call UA to apply them manually.
  2. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online but do not check in. When R space opens, call UA to upgrade into R manually.
  3. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online and check in. When R space opens, call UA to upgrade into R manully.
  4. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online and check in. At the airport, find an agent to upgrade into R manully.
  5. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online and check in. At the airport, do the battle field fight.

I've successfully used #3 a few times, although most of the time the phone agent just pushed me to use #5. Is #1/#2/#4 possible? Has anyone used #1/#2/#4 and succeeded?

Also, it is very frustrating that sometimes after I check in, I am NOT on the upgrade waiting list anymore! I have to find an airport agent to put me manually on the upgrade waiting list first. But most of them don't know how to do it correctly and put me in the same category with those using CPU. Is that common? What can I to do avoid such situations to happen again?

Thank you for your inputs.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
That is not true at all. I always find R space open way before my flight (several weeks or even months). I look for flights that have R availability. If none are available, I book the flight, apply a GPU/RPU online and set up an Expert Flyer alert to get notified when R space opens up. As soon as it's open, I double check my reservation, if the upgrade did not clear I call and have them manually clear it. Never wait until you get to the airport if R is open as someone will grab it.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
I am discussing the strategy under the assumption that R space opens within 24 hours. It won't be a problem if R space opens at least 24 hours.

Did you call within 24 hours of the flight to manually clear the upgrade? In my experiences, 9 out of 10 agents would refuse to help and demand me to do the airport battle field.

Originally Posted by sammyindc
That is not true at all. I always find R space open way before my flight (several weeks or even months). I look for flights that have R availability. If none are available, I book the flight, apply a GPU/RPU online and set up an Expert Flyer alert to get notified when R space opens up. As soon as it's open, I double check my reservation, if the upgrade did not clear I call and have them manually clear it. Never wait until you get to the airport if R is open as someone will grab it.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by cloudybw
I am discussing the strategy under the assumption that R space opens within 24 hours. It won't be a problem if R space opens at least 24 hours.

Did you call within 24 hours of the flight to manually clear the upgrade? In my experiences, 9 out of 10 agents would refuse to help and demand me to do the airport battle field.
I've never had an agent refuse to clear the upgrade if R space is open. I've had this done way ahead of the 24 hour window and within 24 hour of the flight.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've never had an agent refuse to clear the upgrade if R space is open. I've had this done way ahead of the 24 hour window and within 24 hour of the flight.
I have. "The computer will take care if it". No thanks. Then I hang up and call again.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
What is R space?

ETA: thank you sammyindc

Last edited by duranza; Apr 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
What is R space?
The fare class in which GPUs and RPUs (upgrades) clear. If R is available your upgrade will clear, if not then it will be waitlisted.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I have. "The computer will take care if it". No thanks. Then I hang up and call again.
I've had similar luck. Even had an agent un-check me in once in order to clear a mileage upgrade, was very lucky!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Plat
I don't know if this should belong to any particular thread. If so, mods please feel free to merge this into the thread.

Nowadays it becomes more and more common that R space would only be opened within 24 hours of the flight. I've thinked of the following strategies:
  1. Do not apply RPU/GPU. When R space shows up within 24 hours, call UA to apply them manually.
  2. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online but do not check in. When R space opens, call UA to upgrade into R manually.
  3. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online and check in. When R space opens, call UA to upgrade into R manully.
  4. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online and check in. At the airport, find an agent to upgrade into R manully.
  5. Apply RPU/GPU 24+ hours ahead online and check in. At the airport, do the battle field fight.

I've successfully used #3 a few times, although most of the time the phone agent just pushed me to use #5. Is #1/#2/#4 possible? Has anyone used #1/#2/#4 and succeeded?

Also, it is very frustrating that sometimes after I check in, I am NOT on the upgrade waiting list anymore! I have to find an airport agent to put me manually on the upgrade waiting list first. But most of them don't know how to do it correctly and put me in the same category with those using CPU. Is that common? What can I to do avoid such situations to happen again?

Thank you for your inputs.
I've used option #2 a few times on RPUs domestically.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'll try to use #2 later. It seems many R spaces opens 20-23 hours ahead of flight. I just have to resist the temptation to check in early...

But why sometimes I am NOT on the upgrade waiting list anymore after checkin? Has anyone encountered similar situations?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
But why sometimes I am NOT on the upgrade waiting list anymore after checkin? Has anyone encountered similar situations?
It's the randomness of SHARES apparently - the gift that keeps on giving
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
For CPU - yes, agent will refuse to clear the upgrade. That is SOP.

For RPU/GPU/miles - agent should clear your upgrade when R space is open.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
For CPU - yes, agent will refuse to clear the upgrade. That is SOP.

For RPU/GPU/miles - agent should clear your upgrade when R space is open.
I know - was talking about GPU/RPU (however I have had some agents clear CPUs over the phone in the past).
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone used #1? I know the online upgrade option disappears within 24 hours, but I remember to read someone being able to apply upgrade manually over the phone within 24 hours.

Any thoughts/experiences?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Has anyone used #1? I know the online upgrade option disappears within 24 hours, but I remember to read someone being able to apply upgrade manually over the phone within 24 hours. ...
#1 works but you miss the opportunity to clear prior to check-in -- clearing in the last week or two does happen.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm Reason: BBcode fixed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.