Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help me develop plan to get to Australia and New Zealand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Based on feedback from another thread, I believe that United is likely my best bet.

In short, I'm trying to find a way for my wife and I to get to Australia and NZ in July of 2014.

If I am able to get enough miles to cover the first class rewards mileage requirements (through Chase Ultimate Rewards and the United Card), what are the odds of being able to book 2 first class tickets using miles?

Can anyone with more knowledge of United give me some advice on the best timing to book and if there are any ways to book the ticket that would put me through Hawaii with an extended layover?

I'm just trying to plan as much as I can in advance so I maximize rewards and the potential for this trip.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Book 330 days in advance.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Book 330 days in advance.
only if looking for specific United metal flights. @:-)

OP, you can route via Asia, as well as Hawaii.

Hawaii routing would require something like SYD-SIN/BKK/PEK-NRT/ICN-HNL-USA.
2 seats will be tough, but definitely not impossible apart from very busy season, which July is not.

First may be unlikley, but business should be easy.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
I got my wife a RT in First CMH - ORD - LAX - SYD. Not that hard, just had to fork over 160,000 miles.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
If you can't get enough miles, C is not a bad alternative.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
only if looking for specific United metal flights. @:-)

OP, you can route via Asia, as well as Hawaii.

2 seats will be tough, but definitely not impossible apart from very busy season, which July is not.

First may be unlikley, but business should be easy.
Good points. It sounds like OP has worked hard to get the miles to do this trip. Curious as to why he/she wants to go there in July, which is cold and rainy. Also, there has been no mention of saver.

OP: I'd recommend trying to find a route in saver business class. If you're struggling to pull together the miles to barely make this work then why waste it on F when, J is just as good. Same food. Same service. Similar seats.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
we booked two seats in saver C about 300 days in advance for an early October trip.

routing is a variation on SMF-NRT-AKL-HNL-SMF with a s/o in HNL. The US-NRT is on ANA and the flights to and from AKL are on NZ.

in my research before booking the trip, these types of itineraries did have a small number of saver C seats available (~2-3/flight) well in advance, and quite reliably at that. note that the AKL-HNL and vv flight isn't available daily, and that NRT-AKL is not a lie flat every day either, so you have to be flexible with an itinerary like that and do your homework.

another important point is that idk what your US startpoint is but don't get hung up on trying to find saver right away from there. start with LAX or SFO and get the big parts of it booked when they are available, you can always add in flights on the front/back end later (this is what we had to do to get to and from SMF and the US gateways).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
Originally Posted by rankourabu
HNL can also be integrated via CNS-GUM-HNL-Mainland on UA or AKL-HNL-Mainland on NZ/UA.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Good points. It sounds like OP has worked hard to get the miles to do this trip. Curious as to why he/she wants to go there in July, which is cold and rainy. Also, there has been no mention of saver.

OP: I'd recommend trying to find a route in saver business class. If you're struggling to pull together the miles to barely make this work then why waste it on F when, J is just as good. Same food. Same service. Similar seats.
I am 100% new to this and trying to figure out my best options for my chase ultimate rewards which can be transferred to United.

I am trying to figure out all of the codes you all are using and see what my options are.

Going in July because thats when I can get off of work and we prefer cold temps.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
I did this with the Mrs. this in 2012

Yes, you can get two saver awards in F, I found mine about 7 months out and went in the shoulder season of late-October/early-Nov, so should be easier to get seats in July.

Since it is an award ticket, you are able to have open jaws and a stopover, so my recommendation is to go USA - SYD(stopover) - ALK (or ALK then SYD). Also look to BNE or MEL as entry/exit points since you have open jaws to use. For example, I flew IAD-LAX-SYD (stopover) - AKL, then returned on BNE-BKK-NRT-IAD. All seats made beds too and I flew Thai F (BKK F lounge and Spa were awesome!) UA F and NZ C in the pods (NZ doesn't have F) and it "only" cost 320,000 miles for the two of us.

I would look to fly through Asia or even fly East through Europe, guess it depends on where you start in the USA. These flights would be a good chance for you to check-out other carriers premium cabins too, with the service often times much better than what UA has to offer! I don't suscribe to Expert Flyer, but you can piece together a reservation one stop at a time on UA's website and look for available seats through various cities.

Good Luck! There are much better award finder folks here than me! I just used a lot of time doing manuel searches.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Oh, Don't fly through Hawaii

The routings and plane types suck....there can be nothing worse than paying for international first and receiving domestic first for 4-5 flights over 20-25 hours as you take a flight from USA-west coast-Hawaii-Guam-Cairns, etc....all in those comfy 737s!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
CO-Mike used to offer service a couple days a week between Guam & Cairns. Is that option still available? So the routing might end up xxx-HNL-GUM-CNS-SYD/MEL-AKL outbound or AKL-SYD/MEL-CNS-GUM-HNL-xxx return, probably use the more frequent flights between SYD/MEL & SFO/LAX in the other direction.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Be flexible and don't be afraid to do the last minute gamble (as F seats open up close to departure). Feb is a nice time to go and (this year) had plenty of F award availability - I just went.

Personally, I would avoid complex routings and open jaws and just do US-SYD on UA in F, and get the trans-Tasman flight to NZ separately, in Y, with cash. It's 3 hours and comfortable even in Y. Avoid AKL completely and fly SYD-CHC rtn. Construct your other journeys from SYD and CHC separately using car rental (CHC) or cheap LCC flights within Oz (Jetstar, V Australia).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
And keep in mind

United Global First ≠ real first class
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Two tickets in C is a lot easier to find than two in F.

Look at partners as much as possible.

Plan on routing through north asia. OZ in particular is pretty generous with C award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.