Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saver award spaces hold because of 787

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

It's not just TPAC, TATL are also gone. Would be bizarre for UA to be advertising No1 in award availability and then pull it all. Could it be he impact of the 787 as the OP suggests, or a response to falling yield. I notice a few other things. Many low cost tix TATL . However, direct flights from SFO are expensive. Almost as if encouraging flights on non SFO route to make space for those that might be effected by the loss of the 787. Speculation. Would be nice to hear from UAInsider.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA
Not sure what is going on either because there is close to no award space available. But the system does not even show me much standard award space on UA metal TATL. TPAC I can barely see anything either and AA has lots of space available for the dates we looked at (August).
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Yet looking at the UA website within Asia or between Asia and EU there is saver business availability showing as available on Asiana and Thai.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
It's not just TPAC, TATL are also gone. Would be bizarre for UA to be advertising No1 in award availability and then pull it all. Could it be he impact of the 787 as the OP suggests, or a response to falling yield. I notice a few other things. Many low cost tix TATL . However, direct flights from SFO are expensive. Almost as if encouraging flights on non SFO route to make space for those that might be effected by the loss of the 787. Speculation. Would be nice to hear from UAInsider.
Much like the on-time rates, the new UA is no longer *best in class* when it comes to the FFP.

Also - if you look at the weighted average of availability, it would probably skew towards shorter domestic flights...the int'l premium cabin inventory we all like just isn't there, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in order to still make that claim.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Mar 31, 2013 at 5:56 pm
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Much like the on-time rates, the new UA is no longer *best in class* when it comes to the FFP.

Also - if you look at the weighted average of availability, it would probably skew towards shorter domestic flights...the int'l premium cabin inventory we all like just isn't there, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in order to still make that claim.
I've been monitoring various TATL routes on EF lately, and have noticed that R/I inventory is popping up 7-14 days out on flights that would have once been easily bookable upgrades/awards a month or two out. My theory is that UA is moving toward an LH model (that is, an LH-if-you're-MP model) in that UA is more willing to let BF seats go empty (or be occupied by nonrevs) than it used to be. The fewer I/O long-haul seats are available months in advance, the fewer MP members book awards on the flights. Perhaps instead, the miles are used on domestic F awards - flights on which UA would otherwise fill the front cabin with CPU'd elites, rather than the last-minute paid customers who theoretically might book long-haul routes for big money.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA *Gold
I've been monitoring various TATL routes on EF lately, and have noticed that R/I inventory is popping up 7-14 days out on flights that would have once been easily bookable upgrades/awards a month or two out.

I am currently doing tea leaf-goat entrail reading of the following routes to Narita. UA 7(IAH)-79(EWR)-803(IAD)-881(ORD). There is no R space far out (December), but some flights are R6-R9 the night before takeoff.

So, if you are a flexible traveler and can stand the suspense, try to book close in. And, the prices are pretty good. Even if you can't do this, take advantage of UA's same day change if you can.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jbsay
I've been monitoring various TATL routes on EF lately, and have noticed that R/I inventory is popping up 7-14 days out on flights that would have once been easily bookable upgrades/awards a month or two out. My theory is that UA is moving toward an LH model (that is, an LH-if-you're-MP model) in that UA is more willing to let BF seats go empty (or be occupied by nonrevs) than it used to be. The fewer I/O long-haul seats are available months in advance, the fewer MP members book awards on the flights. Perhaps instead, the miles are used on domestic F awards - flights on which UA would otherwise fill the front cabin with CPU'd elites, rather than the last-minute paid customers who theoretically might book long-haul routes for big money.
I sincerely hope you are right. I will wait until this july to see if there are saver award space poping up.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:06 pm

If I can't book comfortable seats more than a few days out the Mileage Plus has become absolutely worthless. It would be cause for shifting program to another airline. I have already dropped the Explorer card and now use Amex and Sapphire to spread the risk. My miles are used to have family travel with me, as I am often in far away places. I can't have UA jerk them around. But before I throw in the towel, let's see what's going on. It might just be a case of an unsupervised intern messing with the program.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Yet looking at the UA website within Asia or between Asia and EU there is saver business availability showing as available on Asiana and Thai.
For saver award within Asia, it is almost no change. It is easy to find award space of Singapore air, air china, ANA...
But it is hard to find UA metal.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
If I can't book comfortable seats more than a few days out the Mileage Plus has become absolutely worthless. It would be cause for shifting program to another airline. I have already dropped the Explorer card and now use Amex and Sapphire to spread the risk. My miles are used to have family travel with me, as I am often in far away places. I can't have UA jerk them around. But before I throw in the towel, let's see what's going on. It might just be a case of an unsupervised intern messing with the program.
It is definitely not an unsupervised intern. United changed its policy.
Or I heard a rumor. Chase points inflate united miles. There are too many united miles in the market. And some people take advantage of award booking. And united tried to shut it down.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
It is definitely not an unsupervised intern. United changed its policy.
Or I heard a rumor. Chase points inflate united miles. There are too many united miles in the market. And some people take advantage of award booking. And united tried to shut it down.
This makes sense to me. UA pimped out its miles to Chase and now the market is flooded. I thought this was coming, and could sense the growing displeasure of airline partners. Now, all those folks who bought into the UA dream of travel are going to feel cheated,
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
For saver award within Asia, it is almost no change. It is easy to find award space of Singapore air, air china, ANA...
But it is hard to find UA metal.
Unfortunately, that is not the case transpac to Australia - unless you want to go the long way via Asia.

The only Star option here is NZ which is next to useless when trying to get award seats.

UA is the way to go if you have MP points or instruments and want to get to Australia. Sadly award and upgrade businessfirst seats are getting rarer and rarer prior to the few days before departure window. Even then , you can be unlucky even if 1K!

I am getting close to sticking with Qantas now.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is this economy or C/F? Because the latter has been unavailable for years, unless you are willing to roll the dice and gamble close to date of travel. Economy was generally available at the 330 day mark in prior years, but less so recently.

Basically the entire saver award chart is a lie, as far as premium international travel is concerned, notwithstanding an occasional exception.

Really nothing new here. You need to look for *A partner awards if you want to fly premium cabin TATL or TPAC.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is this economy or C/F? Because the latter has been unavailable for years, unless you are willing to roll the dice and gamble close to date of travel. Economy was generally available at the 330 day mark in prior years, but less so recently.

Basically the entire saver award chart is a lie, as far as premium international travel is concerned, notwithstanding an occasional exception.

Really nothing new here. You need to look for *A partner awards if you want to fly premium cabin TATL or TPAC.
Disagree - int'l F was readily available. Was a great way to get to/from some of the most far flung destinations. That all changed though recently when they took away ON as an award bucket.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea, but isn't same day change only good for domestic runs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.