Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is UA's Mileage Calculator Buggy/Broken? {YES} and Now Gone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is UA's Mileage Calculator Buggy/Broken? {YES} and Now Gone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Is UA's Mileage Calculator Buggy/Broken? {YES} and Now Gone

Noticed something interesting about mileage postings from trips I did on full fare (Y class) tickets.

Flight from LGA - IAH is 1,416 base miles. With the 25% bonus for Y, I should get a 354 mile bonus, bringing the total to 1,770. However, since I am Silver, i'm supposed to get 25% for that as well, so shouldn't I actually receive a total of 1,416+354+354 = 2,124? (Unless they choose to compound the bonuses which would bring it to 2,212.5 miles.)

I only received 1,770 miles - 1,416 base miles and a 354 mile bonus.

I feel this is an error due to the way their own Mileage calculator works here:
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...es/united.aspx

If I put in LGA-IAH one-way on a discount economy with no status, I get 1,416. If I change to Y class, I get 1,770. If I then bump up to Silver, I get 1,770 also, however it actually lists two separate bonuses of 354 each - yet it must only be adding one of them.

If I choose GS status, it still shows 1,770, even though it lists two bonuses - one at 354, and one at 1,416 (the 100% bonus for 1k & GS) - effectively proving that it is ignoring the bonus for premiere members.

Here is the kicker - if I then change the ticket type to standard economy, it changes the value to 2,832 miles - the single 100% bonus for Premiere status.

If anyone is still with me after all that, is this an error with the way mileage is posting? It seems that if there is a Premiere member and the base miles are anything more than 100% based on fare class, it only gives the fare class bonus and ignores the Premiere bonus.

Can anyone else who took Y/B flights while being a premiere confirm how their mileage posted?

Last edited by emt60; Jun 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
It sounds to me like you have an error in posting. You should get both bonuses.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:48 pm

Yes, you should get both bonuses.

Note that the "Award Miles" column on the statement should already included the Y/B booking class bonus, and the "Bonus" column just the bonus Silver miles.

I flew SFO-MSY and back earlier this year. One direction was full Y, the other was L. For the full Y, the miles posted as 2388+477, and for the L they posted as 1911+477. Is it possible you were just looking at the bonus column and didn't notice that the base miles column was already 1770?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by penner42
Yes, you should get both bonuses.

Note that the "Award Miles" column on the statement should already included the Y/B booking class bonus, and the "Bonus" column just the bonus Silver miles.

I flew SFO-MSY and back earlier this year. One direction was full Y, the other was L. For the full Y, the miles posted as 2388+477, and for the L they posted as 1911+477. Is it possible you were just looking at the bonus column and didn't notice that the base miles column was already 1770?
Nope, looks like I am only getting the one bonus. At least my elite miles seem to be posting correctly.

Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by mrberger202
Noticed something interesting about mileage postings from trips I did on full fare (Y class) tickets.

Flight from LGA - IAH is 1,416 base miles. With the 25% bonus for Y, I should get a 354 mile bonus, bringing the total to 1,770. However, since I am Silver, i'm supposed to get 25% for that as well, so shouldn't I actually receive a total of 1,416+354+354 = 2,124? (Unless they choose to compound the bonuses which would bring it to 2,212.5 miles.)

I only received 1,770 miles - 1,416 base miles and a 354 mile bonus.

I feel this is an error due to the way their own Mileage calculator works here:

If I put in LGA-IAH one-way on a discount economy with no status, I get 1,416. If I change to Y class, I get 1,770. If I then bump up to Silver, I get 1,770 also, however it actually lists two separate bonuses of 354 each - yet it must only be adding one of them.

If I choose GS status, it still shows 1,770, even though it lists two bonuses - one at 354, and one at 1,416 (the 100% bonus for 1k & GS) - effectively proving that it is ignoring the bonus for premiere members.

Here is the kicker - if I then change the ticket type to standard economy, it changes the value to 2,832 miles - the single 100% bonus for Premiere status.

If anyone is still with me after all that, is this an error with the way mileage is posting? It seems that if there is a Premiere member and the base miles are anything more than 100% based on fare class, it only gives the fare class bonus and ignores the Premiere bonus.

Can anyone else who took Y/B flights while being a premiere confirm how their mileage posted?
The online calculator has been giving erroneous results for quite some time. They have not made it a priority to get it fixed. (That's ok - I would rather fix errors with posting before they go about working on secondary items like the calculator.)

You should have earned 100% + 25% bonus for Y + 25% bonus for Silver = 150% redeemable miles for any flights actually taken after 3/3. Note that the 25% bonus for Y started on 3/3.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Note that the 25% bonus for Y started on 3/3.
For PMCO, PMUA or both?

I haven't flown any Y tickets since 3/3, and those that I did fly on PMCO were after I became silver.

Does anyone have the pre-3/3 mileage chart for OnePass accounts?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrberger202
For PMCO, PMUA or both?

I haven't flown any Y tickets since 3/3, and those that I did fly on PMCO were after I became silver.

Does anyone have the pre-3/3 mileage chart for OnePass accounts?
http://web.archive.org/web/201012231...91BF04E95C553F
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Perfect, thanks. This clears it up since all my Y Fare flights were on PMCO.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: Lots
I am experiencing this issue as well. Full fare bonuses are apparently wiping out the premier bonuses.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Looks like this still is not fixed....

I just tried the following (ORD-LHR - 1 way each time)

Econ + No Status
First + No Status
Econ + 1K
Full Econ + 1K
Business + 1K
First + 1K

And on a few of the results is does not add in the bonuses...

Does anyone have an update to the question if after ACTUAL travel they are having consistant incorrect postings of bonus miles?

I really dread the idea of going back and triple checking flights that "on the surface glance" posted correctly...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by tasnam
Looks like this still is not fixed....

I just tried the following (ORD-LHR - 1 way each time)

Econ + No Status
First + No Status
Econ + 1K
Full Econ + 1K
Business + 1K
First + 1K

And on a few of the results is does not add in the bonuses...

Does anyone have an update to the question if after ACTUAL travel they are having consistant incorrect postings of bonus miles?

I really dread the idea of going back and triple checking flights that "on the surface glance" posted correctly...
The calculator is definitely broken. But the miles should post correctly. For this 1K all my bonuses have posted correctly on the first try since April.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Inaccurate UA mileage calculator?

I am trying to compute the miles I can get for EWR-BOS. UA calculator says 402+bonus for RDM and 250 for PQM. Shouldn't it be 500+bonus and 500?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zig2
I am trying to compute the miles I can get for EWR-BOS. UA calculator says 402+bonus for RDM and 250 for PQM. Shouldn't it be 500+bonus and 500?
the 500 elite min is not handled in the calculator. Just one of its many issues.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nus-error.html
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:58 pm

Exclamation Is UA's Mileage Calculator Buggy? Additional 75% / 150% Member Bonus?

Hi all,

From UA's mileage calculator, it seems that something is slightly off:

1. UA's mileage table

2. UA's mileage calculator
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...r/default.aspx

Let's take Business (J,C,D) class as an example:
Actual miles between SFO-NRT: 5124
According to (1) RDM: 5124 * 1.75 = 8967 EQM: 5124 * 1.5 = 7686
According to (2) RDM: 5124 * (1.75 + 0.75) = 12810 EQM: 5124 * 1.5 = 7686

I don't understand the 75% "Member (no Premier status) Bonus" part, can someone clarify?

It gets even crazier if you go to 1st Class, the RDM goes up to 400% (250% according to the table, and additional 150% from "Member Bonus".
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, spordniar
Originally Posted by spordniar
....it seems that something is slightly off: ....
your title word -- buggy -- is probably the best description. unreliable is another word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.