Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disabled passenger sues UA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boghopper
.. Scam to get through security and board early?
Originally Posted by craz
I find the opposite as many people use the need for a WC as an excuse to 1- get thru Security ASAP, 2- get to board before Group1 then when they arrive they simply walk off leaving many times WCs lining the jetway with no one using them, since they would have to wait till everyone else gets off 1st. ...
As mentioned earlier -- I had a recent wheelchair phase and would agree some misuse the process but I think they are the minority -- and for many while they may be able to do short distance, the long concourses are the issue. But a few do abuse the system. Which is spotty between airports. (at SFO expect to wait 20-40 minutes for a WC at check-in)
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
SkyWest had a CYYC-KORD flight divert to KMKE in 2008...
Thanks but Plantiff was booked on a flight YYC to MKE but was put on a YYC to ORD. Is it just me or does anyone else find the YYC to MKE flight a strech?

Safe Travels!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As mentioned earlier -- I had a recent wheelchair phase and would agree some misuse the process but I think they are the minority -- and for many while they may be able to do short distance, the long concourses are the issue. But a few do abuse the system. Which is spotty between airports. (at SFO expect to wait 20-40 minutes for a WC at check-in)
Thank you WineCountyUA. Yes, I agree some abuse the system and some are very impatient waiting for a wheelchair. Since my injury, I am one of those who can go short distances with my cane, but in long concourese like SFO and ORD C or HKG, I go with the wheelchair. I wish all airports were like SNA! Safe Travels!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 14, 2013 at 3:46 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by northsideguy
Thank you WineCountyUA. Yes, I agree some abuse the system and some are very impatient waiting for a wheelchair. Since my injury, I am one of those who can go short distances with my cane, but in long concourese like SFO and ORD C or HKG, I go with the wheelchair. I wish all airports were like SNA! Safe Travels!
I hear ya but at least do you ask the GA at the Departing airport to CX the WC at an arriving airport where you know you will be able to walk by yourself eg SNA? at least that way it wont hold up a Departing passenger or another arriving passenger from getting a WC that they need. Or call up and ask the rep to CX your arriving WC.

Im not sure if that late on the game it can be CXed by at least its worth trying to, in order to help out those who need it
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I hear ya but at least do you ask the GA at the Departing airport to CX the WC at an arriving airport where you know you will be able to walk by yourself eg SNA? at least that way it wont hold up a Departing passenger or another arriving passenger from getting a WC that they need. Or call up and ask the rep to CX your arriving WC.

Im not sure if that late on the game it can be CXed by at least its worth trying to, in order to help out those who need it
I don't pre order the WC. It all depends on the travel and the gates. If I do get one at ORD and go to SNA, I let the TA/GA know that I only need it for ORD. If I leave from SNA, I ask the TA/GA to kindly order one for ORD if we come into the C concourse. If it's B gates I usually don't request one. I request a WC for only the segments I need one and let the TA/GA know when I don't need one.

By the way, I don't need to get ahead of the regular security line, I'm Global Entry and Pre-Check. So far for 2013, I'm 100% on Pre-check. I also don't need to board early with the passengers with disbilities as I can manage to board myself with the other 1K's.

I'm also a little insulted that you would think I would abuse the system and take away this service from others. I turn down the offer for a WC 90% of the time. I'm not going to address my use of a WC any further as it is getting off topic.

Last edited by northsideguy; Mar 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE

And it took the plaintiff 5 years to figure out she was "wronged" and sue? Maybe she fell and couldn't get up all these years...

Ridiculous.
-
No, what is ridiculous is for you to assume she took 5 years to file her case.

I am puzzled why you would ridicule a handicapped person and say "maybe" "she couldn't get up all these years."

If you had read the link, you would see that the case was filed almost five years ago and that the case is just now making news because the case went to appeals. Courts don't conclude suits rapidly.
-
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by northsideguy
I don't pre order the WC. It all depends on the travel and the gates. If I do get one at ORD and go to SNA, I let the TA/GA know that I only need it for ORD. If I leave from SNA, I ask the TA/GA to kindly order one for ORD if we come into the C concourse. If it's B gates I usually don't request one. I request a WC for only the segments I need one and let the TA/GA know when I don't need one.

By the way, I don't need to get ahead of the regular security line, I'm Global Entry and Pre-Check. So far for 2013, I'm 100% on Pre-check. I also don't need to board early with the passengers with disbilities as I can manage to board myself with the other 1K's.

I'm also a little insulted that you would think I would abuse the system and take away this service from others. I turn down the offer for a WC 90% of the time. I'm not going to address my use of a WC any further as it is getting off topic.
I never said you abused the system, I just know several people who need say a WC due to an injury and like you said if departing or landing at the likes of a LAX,SFO,JFK,EWR,MIA,IAD etc etc will need assistance and arrange in advance for a WC didnt think to CX if they wont need it for the likes of a SNA

So it wasnt meant for You alone but anyone who may need assistance but wont at the arriving airport, cant tell you how many folks never thought of CXing what they didnt need. it wasnt in order to abuse the system but they simply didnt realize that by ordering a WC and not using it they could be preventinga person who Needs it from getting it since the agent is waiting on the jetway with it for the person who was #6 off the 200 off the plane and the agent has to wait till they get the 'No left on board' before leaving.Otherwise another lawsuit UA left my sister fend for herself as the agent with the WC left before she was able to get off
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
And it took the plaintiff 5 years to figure out she was "wronged" and sue? Maybe she fell and couldn't get up all these years...

Ridiculous.
How could you not read the article before commenting?

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Yep, smells of shake down.
LOL. Yeah right. You don't take an appeal in that situation.

Originally Posted by NathanJ
People will sue over anything these days.

-Nathan
Yeah - I guess disability access is "anything"

Originally Posted by rusrocket
Read the article carefully. It clearly states that her lawsuit was reinstated by the appeals court. The original lawsuit was probably filed within the first 2 years or whatever the the statute of limitations is applicable in this case.
2 years for negligence. Possibly 3 years for the Unruh Civil Rights Act.

Originally Posted by halls120
I have trouble with the idea that after being wronged in 2008 by United, she flew them again in 2009.

And while 2 years is the supposedly the "norm" for cases like this, that raises my suspicions as well. Many years ago I had the occasion to file a tort action on behalf of my then minor daughter who was injured by another's negligence. We filed six months after the event.
Many years ago, the statute of limitations in most states was 1 year on a negligence action. After 9/11, many - including California, where this action took place - extended it to 2. This was for a variety of reasons.

While I don't do much personal injury work, I have several colleagues who do. It is quite normal to attempt to resolve the case prior to filing and use most of the 2 year statutory time to do so. It benefits all involved.

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I don't get it either. If the first time around was so bad, why fly the same airline the very next year? Unless of course that classic quote comes into play here that people say whenever they have a bad air travel experience.

"Never flying this airline again.... until they have the best price"
The idea that an airline would do something so horrifically stupid twice is one she probably didn't bank on.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've never seen an empty wheelchair go into the jetway during pre-boarding, but I've seen plenty come off empty after all the passengers disembark. The abuse is obvious. What also gets me is the number of companions that sometimes board with a WC-bound passenger. Probably the same people who park in HC spot at supermarket, hang dead grandma's HC sign from mirror, and sprint into store.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flavorflav
This is 100 percent speculation on my part, but three possible reasons for a two-year interval: 1. The alleged injurious conduct had a cumulative effect and the extent of the injury did not become evident until well after the last flight. 2. The case involves complex questions of law and of regulation, and it took time to find the right attorney and then more time to prepare the case. 3. The parties were involved in informal talks to resolve the matter without litigation, talks that ended without a resolution but took up a lot of time nonetheless.
Any of those explanations are indeed possible. I just find the delay to be suspicious.

Originally Posted by flavorflav
I hope the matter involving your daughter, halls120, was resolved to your (and her) satisfaction.
It was, thanks.

Last edited by halls120; Mar 15, 2013 at 5:27 am
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I've never seen an empty wheelchair go into the jetway during pre-boarding, but I've seen plenty come off empty after all the passengers disembark. The abuse is obvious. What also gets me is the number of companions that sometimes board with a WC-bound passenger. Probably the same people who park in HC spot at supermarket, hang dead grandma's HC sign from mirror, and sprint into store.
I tolally agree. Last night on a flight from SFO to IAD I was one of the last to disembark and there were 7 empty wheel chairs.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:48 am

If someone needs use of a wheelchair and needs early boarding, I have no problems with that. I do however believe that everyone (wheelchair bound or not) should wait in the security line.

Being in a wheelchair does not mean you are allergic to waiting in a line.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The easy solution to curb abuse is to not give early boarding or line skipping privileges to wheelchairs. There's no reason they can't wait in line, sitting in their wheelchair, like everyone else who is standing.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
I tolally agree. Last night on a flight from SFO to IAD I was one of the last to disembark and there were 7 empty wheel chairs.
You should see the EWR-Flrida flights! Jetway healing, indeed.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by eastnortheast
If someone needs use of a wheelchair and needs early boarding, I have no problems with that. I do however believe that everyone (wheelchair bound or not) should wait in the security line.

Being in a wheelchair does not mean you are allergic to waiting in a line.
I don't disagree that everyone should have to wait in line, but consider that wheelchairs at airports are a finite resource, and it does not make sense for them to spend 45 minutes with a person in a security line when they could be used to get people on/off planes.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I think many of you don't understand how difficult it is, emotionally, physically, and psychologically, to use a wheelchair, especially in an airport. To be in a wheelchair is to become a non-person to many people, invisible, ignorable, non-existent. Why in the world would anyone subject themselves to that? I use a motorized wheelchair in my everyday life, and travel in my own (manual) wheelchair. Let me give you a taste of the joys of travel in a wheelchair:

Arrive at the airport, an hour before everyone else is supposed to arrive, because security measures take longer for wheelchair passengers, even if (like me), they travel in F or J. Wait for the wheelchair pusher. Outside. In the cold. This usually takes a good 10 to 15 minutes. Get pushed into the check-in area. Check in luggage.

Get pushed to security area. Depending on airline, the wheelchair pusher may only be pushing you, and may realize you are traveling in premium class (yayy!). Otherwise, you may be stuck in 20 minute line with every other wheelchair passenger.

Arrive at security. Remove shoes, jacket, etc. Wait. And wait. And wait. Then, when they are ready, a TSA officer arrives, and you will be felt up. No two ways about it. Hands on bra. Lift yourself up enough to get her hands on your a$$. Between your legs. It's not the most pleasant experience.

After that's over, the real fun begins. You are in a crowded airport, and down the halls and in the lounges, and all the way onto the plane, you are invisible to 90% of people. People will bump into your wheelchair with their oh so precious rollaboards. They will hit you on the head with their computer bags, and either ignore you or call you a female dog for your trouble. They will try to pass you in areas that are too tight, and mutter nasty things about you when they realize that they don't fit. They will use the handicapped bathroom in the lounge to change their clothes, make personal phone calls, and, AFAIK, nap, then call you names when, 45 minutes later, the lounge attendant knocks on the door to let them know someone in a wheelchair needs to use the one and only bathroom in the lounge available to them.

And then, when you pre-board, as both an F or J passenger and a wheelchair passenger, people question whether you are gaming the system. After all, that wheelchair is suddenly just a way to get on board before you, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.