Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-PDX Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
SFO-PDX Changes

What gives. Used to be able to fly out at 8:30AM and back home at 7PM on 737s and A320s over the past 2 months. Now if i want to do a day trip for work it is showing an CRJ-200 on the way up in the morning. No thanks, I'll just stay home. Or look at a later date...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by snowed
What gives. Used to be able to fly out at 8:30AM and back home at 7PM on 737s and A320s over the past 2 months. Now if i want to do a day trip for work it is showing an CRJ-200 on the way up in the morning. No thanks, I'll just stay home. Or look at a later date...
I dunno. As I noted in the CLE-PDX thread, SFO-PDX flights are at a nearly 10 year high in terms of frequency (x9 daily in the summer), but I think the timings of the flights (and capacity) are to best match up with SFO hub banks, not to optimize SFO->PDX day trips.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: VAG
Frequencies are super-high. Prices are super-low. SFO-PDX used to be an absolute ripoff ($350+) back in 2010ish when I used to fly it semi-regularly. Now I don't need to fly it, it's cheap-cheap ($170). Damn you, UA! The entry of Virgin seems to be the important factor.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Frequencies are super-high. Prices are super-low. SFO-PDX used to be an absolute ripoff ($350+) back in 2010ish when I used to fly it semi-regularly. Now I don't need to fly it, it's cheap-cheap ($170). Damn you, UA! The entry of Virgin seems to be the important factor.
SFO-AUS frequency is up as is SFO-EWR. VX is the common element.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:09 pm

Ditto for Seattle. The only outbound flight that now works for me is on a CRJ-200 ... glad it is under 2hrs.

Originally Posted by snowed
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SFO-AUS frequency is up as is SFO-EWR. VX is the common element.
Maybe - but, 1x daily by VX isn't really a huge play for the market.

I also think part of it is that with some of the excess capacity freed up by overlapping UA/CO routes, the extra planes backfilled some of the losses on routes like SFO-PDX that used to have high frequency before the 737s were retired in 2009.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I've booked $158 but also $349 and $588 so not cheap-cheap every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.