Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weight and Balance issue - seat moved for takeoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Flying an ERJ145 yesterday EWR-MCI.

When I can't get row 12, I take 2A if available, since it's not as cold as 1A and (when the FA isn't in the galley) you pop the arm rests and sit diagonally stretching your legs into the galley. Probably the most legroom outside of row 12. Very helpful on a 3+ hour RJ flight.

On this flight, the FA told me and pax in 1A that because of Weight and Balance issues, we would have to move behind row 16 for takeoff. I've seen this on empty flights before, but this one only had 5 open seats (4 windows and the dreaded 19B).

What actually determines when this is necessary? I'm assuming that the request isn't optional (I can't say, "no thanks" and expect them to go to the next passenger). Hard to believe that the relocated 300-350 lbs for 2 people on a nearly full flight made that much of a difference.

It wasn't too bad, since the FA let us come back up as soon as we passed 10K feet, but I could see an FA insisting you wait for the seat belt sign to go off, which on this flight was at least an hour into the flight.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Usually they want N pax from Rows A-B to move behind Row C.

They don't usually single out a person or two.

Usually this happens when they're light on bags and need the weight in the rear for balance. If they're completely full and still need the weight in back, they'll load extra weight in the back (ballast) to make the numbers work.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Didn't know that about the ballast. Maybe this flight had a lot of day trippers (like me) who just brought a briefcase.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Maybe this flight had a lot of day trippers (like me) who just brought a briefcase.
Actually, it's usually the DAY TIPPERS, carrying only their wallet that are exempt from relocation!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am not certain of the exact zones for the 145, but it seems 1A and 2A are always prime candidates for re-seating due to weight and balance...probably since they are so far forward.

I agree they are decent seats if 12A is not available, but I have stopped selecting them due to the potential move issue.

But then again, if 12A is not available, I will not usually pick that flight. I have done 12B a couple times as an exception for flight times that I greatly preferred, but anything else is a no-go for me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am not certain of the exact zones for the 145, but it seems 1A and 2A are always prime candidates for re-seating due to weight and balance...probably since they are so far forward.
I'm not confident that 1A and 2A are a zone, or if the FA likes having them empty because they're close to the galley.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I started avoiding anything in front of Row 3 at the ERJ-145s due to the weight and balance thing; I see this more than on CRJ-200 for some reason.

I try and stick with Row 12 for these flights.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by channa
I'm not confident that 1A and 2A are a zone, or if the FA likes having them empty because they're close to the galley.
They are indeed a distinct zone on the 145 and the pilots tell the FA which zones people need to move out of for weight and balance. The FAs probably like having those seats empty, but they don't get to make the decision. 2A is actually the most likely seat on the plane to be moved. Many of the crews try to avoid moving 1A since it's considered E+, so they'll pick 2A if they only have to move one person. Sometimes they'll try to see if someone from Zone 1 (1A and 2A) and someone from Zone 2 (rows 3 - ?) will satisfy the numbers instead of reseating 1A.

My colleagues tell me that UAX ExpressJet has a new computerized weight and balance system that's exactingly precise and is requiring them to move people for weight and balance a lot more than they used to do.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I was on one of United small prop planes. There was only 5 passengers on it, and they had us all move toward the back for weight/balance reasons
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
1A is zone one. I've been asked to move to the back for takeoff and then I get a wink and a nod when we're at cruising that it's ok to return to my seat.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
When ever this happens to me, I always ask if I can move back after takeoff and they say yes. Never been an issue.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Close to inconceiveable that this would be an issue once aircraft is at or close to level flying.

The FA has zippo to do with this. It's the Captain and dispatcher working from other w&b inputs such as bags, freight, fuel.

Smaller the aircraft, the more common this is.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
While I've never had this happen on the ERJ-145, it does happen quite often on the Q400. Had an FA ask me to move to the last five rows for the entire flight.. At least I slept the entire flight, or else I would have been mad that I lost all of the legroom that I originally had in the exit row.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The larger airplanes have the baggage in compartments under the floor so they can control how much of the bag weight is in the front and the back. The smaller airplanes have a single baggage area so the only way to adjust the balance is to move passengers.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:13 pm

On the ExpressJet 145's, zone 1 is rows 1 and 2. Zone 2 is rows 3-6. Zone 3 is rows 7-10. Zone 4 is rows 11-15 and zone 5 is rows 16-19. The computer simply returns a message telling the crew how many passengers to move and from which zone to which zone. And yes, it is exactingly precise since its computerized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.