Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
I have MUC-EWR on the 9th with a GPU confirmed, how serious is the storm? I have a layover of 5+hours at EWR before going to SJO and actually was thinking of going to Times Square cause needed to buy something.

Nobody knows yet, it's being called a nightmare to forecast especially in the New York area. The Wall Street Journal is calling it a

Weather Journal: Snowstorm of Uncertainty Nears

If the snow is not as major as an event as some are saying, getting into Times Square should not be a huge issue, the storm is expected to be over by early Saturday in the New York area.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pbd456
so the fare differnece means that i need to same booking class only, right?
first time into weather waiver in UA. the fare that i booked was no longer there - obviously, for a MR.
When do we have to decide what we want to do? I tried using the website but its not finding anything in G. I tried EF as well and there is no G to LAS for any day i checked. I guess i'm out of luck unless flight gets cancelled or "Signifigantly Delayed" Anyone know what length of delay needs to be for refund?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
When do we have to decide what we want to do? I tried using the website but its not finding anything in G. I tried EF as well and there is no G to LAS for any day i checked. I guess i'm out of luck unless flight gets cancelled or "Signifigantly Delayed" Anyone know what length of delay needs to be for refund?
i have no idea... i have been very lucky that bad weather never hit me unil this time. in sandy, i was able to reroute on a different city but on the same day. but it seems that i shoud not fly at all...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
This is a pretty unhelpful waiver. For people who might want to travel tomorrow (for example) instead of Saturday, there has to be availability in the same fare class.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
My friend called and cancelled her reservation and they said she can pay fare difference at a later date when she rebooks (within 1 year of initial ticketing) How do we know they wont forget later that there was a weather waiver and try to charge $150. I dont mid sitting on a credit as i know i will be booking before the 1 year point of 12/2013

i have no idea... i have been very lucky that bad weather never hit me unil this time. in sandy, i was able to reroute on a different city but on the same day. but it seems that i shoud not fly at all...
UA wanted to bring me to EWR the day before Sandy after my flight cancelled. I ended up staying in LAX and had them put me on a return flight straight to BOS a few days later.

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 6, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I called as I am due to travel on Friday morning -- the agent was very helpful (but awkwardly singing to me... I kinda freaked out and laughed "with" her). She booked me into M (up from K) in regards to the travel waiver.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by edcho
I called as I am due to travel on Friday morning -- the agent was very helpful (but awkwardly singing to me... I kinda freaked out and laughed "with" her). She booked me into M (up from K) in regards to the travel waiver.
but u travel on the same day?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:34 pm

Sorry couldn't find this answer quickly anywhere... for a flight leaving BOS at 6am on Saturday, any chance to get United / USAirways codeshare to change the origination into JFK/LGA?

I know these cities are not co-terminals at all but I'm just thinking I'll have a better chance of leaving from NYC than BOS on Saturday morning (I'm located in NYC but was leaving with a friend that lives in BOS).

TIA!

Last edited by babiemindy; Feb 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm Reason: added details
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
I basically didn't want to wait for the "waivers" to happen. I tried calling in earlier this morning and seeing if they would waive the fee, no go.

Called again, changed my RT to a one-way return for Sunday, paid 23.00 but they waived the change fee for that.

Then booked a one way out of Boston for tomorrow.

It was WAY cheaper (by over 200.00) then paying for the change fee and changing the outbound flights. I sometimes think when you change a ticket, you don't always get the "best" fare available. When I tried to do a online change, it was showing "H" for Thursday flight I wanted, but booking it now as a one way, I was able to get a "Q" which is bit cheaper.

Bad thing is though, doing all this, one way last minute, means no TSA Pre for me tomorrow
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Called in got a good rep that booked me HEL-FRA-IAH-SJO all on a Y fare, so got the upgrade for IAH-SJO, I was originally booked on W fare, no charge whatsoever. Anyone knows if I will get the 150% PQM bonus?

Going to take a look into upgrading FRA-IAH on Lufthansa on the A380 now...

Last edited by SJOFlyer; Feb 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:00 pm

but u travel on the same day?
I moved it up from Friday to Thursday evening.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:04 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
What about Specials?

The weekend specials (LINTERNET fares) do not allow SDC.

Has anyone been able to do SDC on those during a weather waiver? As a 1K the fee is waived for me anyways, but the no SDC policy is enforced online. I have been able to standby (confirmed or otherwise) at the airport on these fares, but never online.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally I was on the 6am BOS-SFO on Saturday, but had to reschedule to the 10:44am BOS-SFO on Friday. There was a BOS-ORD-SFO flight that departed around 8am, but I didn't take it because I was worried about ORD being backed up from when the storm hits Chicago Thursday night/Friday morning.

Hopefully BOS is still clear at 10:44am and we make it out of the gate. Right now weather forecasts are predicting the snow will start around 9-10am Friday morning.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA1K
i wonder how this will affect the rest of the country. i am doing a mini MR on saturday, LAX-PDX-SEA-SFO-LAX and all of a sudden the flights are getting very tight. would LOVE to get a bump.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by ralfp
The weekend specials (LINTERNET fares) do not allow SDC.

Has anyone been able to do SDC on those during a weather waiver? As a 1K the fee is waived for me anyways, but the no SDC policy is enforced online. I have been able to standby (confirmed or otherwise) at the airport on these fares, but never online.
i have no idea what's going to happen. i just picked up one of those fares this morning before i read about the weather. i'm departing EWR on saturday morning though, so hopefully the majority of the storm will have passed by then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.