Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I have had no trouble making the following changes:

Originally: (1) LHR-IAD-BOS (10 p.m. Friday IAD-BOS)

Expected IAD-BOS would cancel. Called and rebooked to:
(2) LHR-EWR-BOS (3 p.m. Friday IAD-BOS)

Expected EWR-BOS would cancel. Called and rebooked to:
(3) LHR-BOS (DL, booked into Y! 10 a.m. Friday LHR-BOS)

This got cancelled by DL an hour later. Called and rebooked to:
(4) LHR-IAD-BOS (6 p.m. Friday IAD-BOS)

The IAD-BOS segment got cancelled. Called and rebooked to:
(5) LHR-IAD-BOS (Saturday morning IAD-BOS, same LHR-IAD as originally planned).

These were all 10min phone calls except the one where the agent waited on hold with DL Reservations first.

Every LHR-EWR on Friday has been cancelled! Most flights into BOS on Friday are cancelled!

Even LH422 FRA-BOS Friday is zeroed out (but not cancelled).

I'm not sure this is gonna fly. I'm not so sure a Saturday-morning IAD-BOS is gonna operate (that may be the peak of the storm).

Last edited by mherdeg; Feb 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:37 pm

My sister was supposed to fly HNL-EWR tonight. Got switched to HA HNL-JFK but ticketing is taking forever and a half.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by salesna
40 minutes and counting.
I'm at 40 minutes too. This is absurd. I am desperately trying to get out of BOS tonight. I originally had a flight scheduled at 10:45am yesterday which I thought would be safe, considering the heavy snow wasn't supposed to start until 2pm. I guess I was wrong. Anyone have luck rescheduling?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Seph87
I'm at 40 minutes too. This is absurd. I am desperately trying to get out of BOS tonight. I originally had a flight scheduled at 10:45am yesterday which I thought would be safe, considering the heavy snow wasn't supposed to start until 2pm. I guess I was wrong. Anyone have luck rescheduling?
Finally got in at the 1 hour mark a couple of minutes ago .. at least the agent knew what she was doing.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: Continental
I was supposed to fly UA235 tomorrow - IAH to SFO. Agent told me this flight is cancelled due to weather, even though Houston will not be impacted. I was rebooked on UA1515. It appears that United is shifting planes around to accommodate the storm.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
I got out of BOS (needed to be in NJ for weekend) at 6am this morning instead of tomorrow night. Wound up changing it before the waivers were in place so I wound up spending a few dollars, but it was well worth knowing early yesterday that my plans were in place then waiting until later in the day when UA put up the waiver.

Good luck to everyone trying to fly tonight/early tomorrow.

On a side note, what's with the "weather industry" naming every storm now? Very very lame.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA HH SPG
Do you think we will have issues getting out of EWR on 2/10?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC Update

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
FYI - latest update issued by NYC OEM, based on revised NWS forecast - Blizzard Warning is ON for NYC, which is already in effect for points north & east of the city - and, given previous practices - expect widespread & preemptive shutdown ahead of the snowstorm's actual arrival in the next 18 to 24 hours. Watch for more flights to be cancelled & grounded elsewhere overnight (500+ thus far, majority @EWR ??? urrrhhh)

Blizzard Warning - 2/8 to 2/9 (Citywide)
Notification issued 2/7/13 at 4:15 PM. The National Weather Service has issued a Blizzard Warning for New York City from 6:00 AM Friday, 2/8 to 1 PM Saturday, 2/9. The current forecast calls for 10-14 inches of snow accompanied by strong winds. With visibility expected to be one quarter mile or less, caution should be exercised when traveling. For more information visit www.weather.gov/nyc.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
depending on how much snow EWR gets the recovery could easily take until Monday or Tuesday. i am scheduled to fly into EWR on Sunday afternoon and i will not be surprised if it cancels.

in GRR right now with the same storm, lake enhanced here, snowing about an inch an hour, give or take. but surprisingly our flight landed basically on time after a quick run around the pattern while they were finishing up plowing the runway. airport ops were fairly normal with one or two cancels and a couple of delays but most flights showing as on time by all operating carriers.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Flying Monday Feb 11 YYZ-EWR-HNL

I've got 2.5 hours between the scheduled arrival and departure

If we miss UA15 to HNL what are our options? Would it be best to try and avoid EWR and fly something like YYZ-LAX-HNL?

Any recommendations welcome

Also, I'm a UA premier gold (currently on a status match) would that make any difference in priority for being rebooked

Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Flying Monday Feb 11 YYZ-EWR-HNL

I've got 2.5 hours between the scheduled arrival and departure

If we miss UA15 to HNL what are our options? Would it be best to try and avoid EWR and fly something like YYZ-LAX-HNL?

Any recommendations welcome

Also, I'm a UA premier gold (currently on a status match) would that make any difference in priority for being rebooked

Thanks
current weather waiver only applies to travel on 2/7-8. if you try to rebook now for a different set of flights you will have to pay change fees plus fare difference. looking all the way out to monday i would stick your schedule out thru saturday and see how the storm goes in EWR.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FortFun
Same for me (both parts). Between 10:30 and 11 Mountain.
Sounds about right. I called at about noon eastern. I think they had just started cancelling everything in and out of BOS at that time

The woman said she was working a 14 hour shift. She was in a good mood so i'm assuming she was just starting. The wait times was one of the reasons i was thinking about using the waiver instead of waiting to be cancelled so I could refund
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
Maybe one of the reasons that CO is so quick to cancel is because they know they do not have the infrastructure to expeditiously rebook customers.
Huh...my EWR-IST got rebooked JFK-IST (agent offered LH without prompting but I wanted TK) and done in about 5 minutes, other than waiting for TK to confirm the seat. Seems like the infrastructure worked just fine in my case.

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
SFO and LAX have later flights to HNL which I think you can catch but it isn't easy. Also, the weather policy doesn't apply to Monday yet so there isn't much for you to do about it right now.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Huh...my EWR-IST got rebooked JFK-IST (agent offered LH without prompting but I wanted TK) and done in about 5 minutes, other than waiting for TK to confirm the seat. Seems like the infrastructure worked just fine in my case.
Yeah, I have likewise had no trouble with a sixth rebooking (giving up and moving LHR-BOS to another weekend later in the year). Took the agent only about 5 minutes to get the itinerary re-ticketed.

I can believe that other agents might have had more trouble getting a ticket reissued. I think for one of the six changes I've made, the ticket was never 100% properly reissued and the record was left in a pretty messy state (extra protection segment thrown into the record in the middle of the journey, OLCI didn't work).

Why would you prefer TK over LH for service to IST? I love onboard vişne as much as anyone, but aren't the LH mileage earning rules a little better?

(Not that the actual mileage is any different, http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-ist,jfk-fra-ist )
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why can't they run the TLV flight to IAD which would offer many of the same connections as EWR. That should be one of the benefits of the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.