Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador

Time for a fresh 2013 GS thread?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:34 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We need a thread for everyone who called at 12:01am today.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ari
We need a thread for everyone who called at 12:01am today.
Though I have refrained from calling to see if I was renewed as a GS, I did check the expiration date of my online reprintable MP GS card and it still says 1/31/13.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by RealFan
Though I have refrained from calling to see if I was renewed as a GS, I did check the expiration date of my online reprintable MP GS card and it still says 1/31/13.
Same here, I'm just gonna wait, and if not re-qual, will ask for a challenge, ask first quarter 2013 looking pretty heavy anyway...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM
I haven't heard a thing. My account is all snake eyes with the exception of 6 global upgrades. Sucks being a single mom - had to stay local most of the fall so should I ask for a challenge in Q1?

(2012 was 120K PQM, ~$48K spend, 90% F/C/D/Z)
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
This may sound like a stupid question, but I will ask anyway:

Do large discounts hurt your chances of obtaining GS (e.g. government or corporate contracts with UA) ?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
This may sound like a stupid question, but I will ask anyway:

Do large discounts hurt your chances of obtaining GS (e.g. government or corporate contracts with UA) ?
They lower your spend, and overall spend seems to be the primary factor. Beyond that it's speculation, my speculation is no.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: EK I/O, BA Gold, UAGS, Sirius Gold
Very new to FT (but have been lurking over my co workers shoulders as they type away for years). I just joined MP in 2010 - never bothered before as the 4-6 flights I take on UA a year have always been credited to SQ. Took a total of 5 flights in 2012 but my spend was over 50K (all one ways from SYDNEY-JFK) This brought me to Gold. I was quite surprised to see I became a GS last week. Sort of makes me wish I joined years ago.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Made it to GS

Went to book a FF trip on Friday to Houston and was told I was GS! Same thing when I looked at my iphone ap... no notice, no call, no email... funny... you would think they would make a big deal out of this?? I flew 200K mostly all on United (a few on Star Alliance)...out of LAX. I had 6 business class trips overseas (Brazil and China). Lots of coach domestic. I figure my spend was right around $50K.

Now here is where it gets interesting... my colleague, who is also 1K flew 220K miles this year, spent more than me, always flys business class but had lots of his flights on Lufthansa (code share or Star Alliance).. didn't get invited to GS. I will have him call, he should get something at least for the call.

Travel safe everyone!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by 1stClassScotty
Went to book a FF trip on Friday to Houston and was told I was GS! Same thing when I looked at my iphone ap... no notice, no call, no email... funny... you would think they would make a big deal out of this?? I flew 200K mostly all on United (a few on Star Alliance)...out of LAX. I had 6 business class trips overseas (Brazil and China). Lots of coach domestic. I figure my spend was right around $50K.

Now here is where it gets interesting... my colleague, who is also 1K flew 220K miles this year, spent more than me, always flys business class but had lots of his flights on Lufthansa (code share or Star Alliance).. didn't get invited to GS. I will have him call, he should get something at least for the call.

Travel safe everyone!
If its mostly on Luftunsa, it will affect your GS qualifications a lot.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EWR ATC Hold
I just made it for the first time. 86k pqm. Looking at my account it looks like I only have the two rpu. Spend was just north of 40k (all j/c/d and one short haul y). Surprised, but happy.
I talked to GS today and they said that for people that are "bumped up" from Platinum to GS that they won't receive GPUs unless they reached the 100k PQM. I don't really have anything to complain about as this seems fair, but I know some people had been asking, so thought I'd share.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:14 pm

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

This last post makes me wonder about threshold for re-up. I am 40-45K spend and 120K PQM - seems like I should get back in based on last few posts, but have heard nothing - card still expires 1/31/13.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Platinum (ambassador), Marriott Gold
Qualified for GS for the first time but questions...

Hi All, just saw I was offered the GS status for the first time. Now I worry about my re-qualifications. :-) I saw that the estimate for requalification will be >$35K spend and >60 FF miles. However, I bought two tickets, one RTW business and another B classs ticket in December of 2012 for Q1, 2013 travel. Both are international trips. I am wondering those will be counted towards my 2013 qualifications for both spend and miles or not.

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by FLYINGCAGATOR
Hi All, just saw I was offered the GS status for the first time. Now I worry about my re-qualifications. :-) I saw that the estimate for requalification will be >$35K spend and >60 FF miles. However, I bought two tickets, one RTW business and another B classs ticket in December of 2012 for Q1, 2013 travel. Both are international trips. I am wondering those will be counted towards my 2013 qualifications for both spend and miles or not.

Thanks

You theoretically could buy them in 2012 and cancel them before the flight. That's why they will count after you fly them.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Platinum (ambassador), Marriott Gold
RTW ticket

Originally Posted by iluv2fly

You theoretically could buy them in 2012 and cancel them before the flight. That's why they will count after you fly them.
Thank you!

Now for the RTW business ticket, the first segment is United (SFO to SIN) and the rest of segments are all star alliance (return on LH). But the ticket was issued by united. The ticket is over $14K. So now is the entire ticket counted as United revenue or only the first segment? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.