Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to retire 22 757s in 2013 -- feelings on this action?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to retire 22 757s in 2013 -- feelings on this action?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Absolutely not hyperbole.

I'm a fairly skinny guy, and it was a royal pain making it back to the lavs on the 738 I was on a couple of weeks ago. Every pax who came out of one of the two lavs at the back had to return to their seat, squeezing past pax waiting in line. This usually meant acrobatics or imposing oneself into the personal space of seated pax along the aisles.

Yeah, the 739 has lavs at the front; I'd forgotten that (and I said upfront that I wasn't sure that was the case with the 739, thank you very much). The other 737s in the fleet do not, and I expect the aisle width is the same even in the 739.
It's the same on the 752 as well since the aircraft have the same cross-section, unless the 737 seats are wider. I don't have those figures to hand.

What you are describing above is typical of any single-aisle aircraft. Not sure why you believe the 752 is different and this is a step backwards.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world
What's the problem with 739ERs?

The 757-200 is significantly less efficient than the 739ER, which is a major reason for it being phased out for domestic routes. Not sure how replacing old aircraft with new can be construed as a "CO agenda"?
If they are only going to the sCO side, it puts sUA pilots out of work.

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I'll miss the 2L boarding and the slightly calmer, more civilized FC cabin. Easy to use the lav, easier for FA's to offer drinks, less worry of Y pax grabbing FC bins, etc. I get why it has to be done and I look forward to the wifi but I'll miss the big old birds.
I also understand why it has to be done, but I'll miss the 757.

Originally Posted by jcg20
I once had a 757 pilot tell me that they were "wildly overpowered" which made them very fun to fly.

I personally don't mind the 739, but will lament the loss of at least 8 F seats.
My brother has flown the 727, MD-88, 757 and 767, and the 57 is by far his favorite ride.

to loss of F seats.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by mre5765
Retired this year and replaced with what?

There is no single aisle order, nothing is coming this year.

So 737s will replace 757s. What replaces the 737s? CRJ200s.

And a CRJ200 is more fuel efficient per passenger mile? Bollocks.

Horrible decision.
Oh, and don't forget that many of the 737's still don't have E+. And likely won't for years to come; half of UA's deliveries last year were without E+, and you think Jeff is going to pay for a refit just to put in E+? No way, it'll have to wait a few years until the first mid-life service comes around.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gailwynand
Oh, and don't forget that many of the 737's still don't have E+. And likely won't for years to come; half of UA's deliveries last year were without E+, and you think Jeff is going to pay for a refit just to put in E+? No way, it'll have to wait a few years until the first mid-life service comes around.
Simply false.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
The GNP of Goose Bay will go way down, unless they make EWR, ORD and IAD one stops in the 737-900
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
If they are only going to the sCO side, it puts sUA pilots out of work.
There won't be two separate "sides" for pilots in the near future though.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by channa
The on time record of all of CO was several points worse than all of UA going into this thing. I'm not sure what that has to do with the 757.

If anything, PMUA proved that fleet age and ON TIME were not correlated.
Take EWR out of the equation and what happens to that on time number?

(just idly curious ...)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:16 pm

I flew in economy on a 739 last week from LAX to SFO and about 6 months ago from IAH to DCA, both with the new Boeing interior. I also flew in first class in December from EWR to SFO. Still subject to individual preference, I felt that the seats in both classes were comfortable and sufficiently similar to PMUA's seating options. The new sky interior was nice (not sure if I personally go for the new look), but I'm not adverse to it. All the seats had access to power outlets and DirectTV, which, I feel, is better than watching the overheads on UAs 757s. The 739s will soon be outfitted with WIFI, which I feel has much more value than Direct TV.

It seems as though there are certain individuals who are hell-bent on United management.

Perhaps the real cause for the upset is are fewer upgrade opportunities.

I'm a fan of the 757 myself for a number of reasons already mentioned, but we mustn't pretend that our preference for one aircraft type over another is a crucial factor for United, such that they keep older, less fuel-efficient and more error prone 757s flying.

To the average consumer, traveling .2 mach slower, having better takeoff performance and flying a thousand feet higher are negligible. What will impact their experience is the 739's advance in flight technology and passenger comfort. They'll have a choice in TV programming, access to power and WIFI (as it's rolled out across the fleet), larger overhead bins, and for some a really cool interior look and feel.

The bottom line is that 757s aren't as fuel efficient. Fuel costs money and represents United's single greatest cost. Would you rather have United stick with the 757s and pass on the costs of greater fuel efficiency to you in the form of higher ticket costs?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by iker
I flew in economy on a 739 last week from LAX to SFO and about 6 months ago from IAH to DCA, both with the new Boeing interior. I also flew in first class in December from EWR to SFO. Still subject to individual preference, I felt that the seats in both classes were comfortable and sufficiently similar to PMUA's seating options. The new sky interior was nice (not sure if I personally go for the new look), but I'm not adverse to it. All the seats had access to power outlets and DirectTV, which, I feel, is better than watching the overheads on UAs 757s. The 739s will soon be outfitted with WIFI, which I feel has much more value than Direct TV.

It seems as though there are certain individuals who are hell-bent on United management.

Perhaps the real cause for the upset is are fewer upgrade opportunities.

I'm a fan of the 757 myself for a number of reasons already mentioned, but we mustn't pretend that our preference for one aircraft type over another is a crucial factor for United, such that they keep older, less fuel-efficient and more error prone 757s flying.

To the average consumer, traveling .2 mach slower, having better takeoff performance and flying a thousand feet higher are negligible. What will impact their experience is the 739's advance in flight technology and passenger comfort. They'll have a choice in TV programming, access to power and WIFI (as it's rolled out across the fleet), larger overhead bins, and for some a really cool interior look and feel.

The bottom line is that 757s aren't as fuel efficient. Fuel costs money and represents United's single greatest cost. Would you rather have United stick with the 757s and pass on the costs of greater fuel efficiency to you in the form of higher ticket costs?
Oh sure -- because the tickets will be a lot cheaper as a result of brand new 739s -- you forget that these new planes are expensive and if anything the ticket prices will increase
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Simply false.
Perhaps instead of drive-by posting, you could explain which part of this is false? According to this site, which is unofficial but widely relied on by this forum, half the 2012 deliveries had no E+ and I haven't read anything about refit plans in the immediate future.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Horrible decision.
About the bolded portion, UA would beg to differ. From last week's fourth quarter earnings release:

United announced an order to purchase 100 Boeing 737 MAX 9 aircraft and 50 Boeing 737-900ER aircraft for delivery beginning in 2013. These new aircraft will allow United to replace older, less-efficient aircraft to reduce fuel and operating costs, enhance the customer experience and maximize network opportunities.
http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....521&highlight=

It's not AA's 500 plane order, but it is an order for 50 739s beginning this year.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Perhaps instead of drive-by posting, you could explain which part of this is false? According to this site, which is unofficial but widely relied on by this forum, half the 2012 deliveries had no E+ and I haven't read anything about refit plans in the immediate future.
Hundreds of sCO aircraft were fitted with E+ in the last year - it is done overnight. You are completely misinformed if you think that "Jeff" "won't pay" for this to be done, as that is exactly what has been done in the last year.

The newer aircraft that were delivered without E+ will be retrofitted just like all the other aircraft. You'll notice that the newest aircraft are now being delivered with E+, eliminating the need for this step. But on what basis are you saying they won't do it?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Absolutely not hyperbole.

I'm a fairly skinny guy, and it was a royal pain making it back to the lavs on the 738 I was on a couple of weeks ago. Every pax who came out of one of the two lavs at the back had to return to their seat, squeezing past pax waiting in line. This usually meant acrobatics or imposing oneself into the personal space of seated pax along the aisles.

Yeah, the 739 has lavs at the front; I'd forgotten that (and I said upfront that I wasn't sure that was the case with the 739, thank you very much). The other 737s in the fleet do not, and I expect the aisle width is the same even in the 739.
I'm 6'2" and 165 pounds with an athletic build. I went to the bathroom and didn't have a problem passing passengers who were on their way back from the rear lavs. I didn't have to perform acrobatics, nor have I for that matter ever seen anyone perform anything close to an acrobatic feat in the aisle of any Boeing or Airbus aisle. In fact, as already pointed out by another poster, the 757 and 739 (the subject of this discussion) have the same aisle width. So what's the problem?

And yes, I do feel you're deploying hyperbole. "Every passenger . . . squeezing . . . usually meant acrobatics or imposing oneself." I mean did you take a poll of 'every' passenger? Were you so intrigued by the acrobatic feats of others that you had your head turned around for the entire flight so that you in fact witnessed other acrobatic feats? Perhaps United's aspirations to fly a more fuel-efficient jet is all a cover-up to provide a space for future olympians to practice gymnastics on their aircraft.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium

Horrible decision.
Huh?? You're joking right??

https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...-for-2013.aspx
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2342

Last edited by JDS747; Jan 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Read some more. It's clearly noted in the $500 million thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.