Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to retire 22 757s in 2013 -- feelings on this action?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to retire 22 757s in 2013 -- feelings on this action?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
I think it's terrible as they will be replaced by 739ERs which are nothing short of being craptastic. Just another part of the CO agenda at UA. Thoughts on this?
I agree. ^ to the OP and to the retirement of the UA 752's. Since moving to SAN I have spent a ton of time on these birds, they are great!

The pay IFE on a TCON in Y is a real kick in the teeth (IMO). Even if they provided 1 channel that was a free loop of the stuff like the sUA fleet is showing it would be better.

Whats next? Hemispheres magazine will be in a vending machine by the lav?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by star_world
Less comfortable seats: entirely subjective. Not exactly specific to the aircraft type either, UA would have to upgrade the old seats in the 752 sooner rather than later and the industry trend is towards modern, lightweight, less padded seats.

IFE: Same. Sooner or later the IFE on the old 752s would have been upgraded to modern standards, if they were being kept. Whether or not it is pay per view in the future is also not dependent on the aircraft type

Lower cruising altitude: Be careful of what you believe on internet forums. A 3 second search showed the following as an example: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N.../KRSW/tracklog

Believe me, it can cruise a lot higher than FL320.

Performance: You will find that in most cases on domestic flights the 752 will operate at a similar cruising speed to the 737, mainly due to fuel burn. Therefore there is negligible difference on the vast majority of flights. And why would a passenger care about takeoff performance? It's up to the airline to schedule the right aircraft for the right mission.
It's pretty noticeable. Some of the BOS-SFO flights are split 737 and 757 and the 737 flights are up to a half hour longer than the 75's (this past week up to 7 HOURS!)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes and the ontime records for the sCO 757s is 6 points worse than the sUA 757s.
It's not an excuse by any means, but there is a lot more slack in the schedule of the sUA 757s than the sCO birds. This is entirely deliberate; earlier in 2012 when UA attempted to increase utilization of the 757 fleet, dispatch reliability fell apart. To overcome this, UA pushed more 757s through MCO to address deferred maintenance items and launched an interior refresh program. At the same time, additional spares and greater slack was built into the schedule. Obviously, the initiative worked because the reliability of the fleet is dramatically improved.

Those numbers are more of a testament to the effectiveness of the work performed to improve dispatch reliability of the sUA 757s than it is an indictment of the sCO 757 fleet, but you certainly may perceive it however you wish.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by EWR764
It's not an excuse by any means, but there is a lot more slack in the schedule of the sUA 757s than the sCO birds. This is entirely deliberate; earlier in 2012 when UA attempted to increase utilization of the 757 fleet, dispatch reliability fell apart. To overcome this, UA pushed more 757s through MCO to address deferred maintenance items and launched an interior refresh program. At the same time, additional spares and greater slack was built into the schedule. Obviously, the initiative worked because the reliability of the fleet is dramatically improved.

Those numbers are more of a testament to the effectiveness of the work performed to improve dispatch reliability of the sUA 757s than it is an indictment of the sCO 757 fleet, but you certainly may perceive it however you wish.
Yes then I look at the other list of sCO vs. sUA at all the large stations and sCO is still several points lower at all the hubs except IAH. That means the 737s reliability are something to look at as well.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It's pretty noticeable. Some of the BOS-SFO flights are split 737 and 757 and the 737 flights are up to a half hour longer than the 75's (this past week up to 7 HOURS!)
Right. Now instead of just regurgitating information from other threads it would be beneficial to look at it in a more analytical way, using a broader data set over a reasonable period of time. You've already been told by 752 pilots that cost index is used to negate most / all of the difference in almost all cases since it just costs too much to operate at the higher speed.

If you can show me a sustained, quantitative analysis that demonstrates there is a real difference then we're getting somewhere. I have't seen the data to support such a gap though.

Yes then I look at the other list of sCO vs. sUA at all the large stations and sCO is still several points lower at all the hubs except IAH. That means the 737s reliability are something to look at as well.
How does on-time rate automatically translate into needing to look at aircraft reliability (of any aircraft type, not just 737s)?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Fuel efficiency? Nice to fly the planes you want, but UA is in the business of making money.
Could've fooled me.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TODs and less F-seats > not a good combination!
Plays right into the hands of UAs competitors.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'll take PPV live TV IFE over looped "comedy" every day of the week. Don't get me wrong, the pmUA 752 is my favorite domestic bird - I love the bulkhead rows in E+ and upgrades were relatively easy - but having a good selection of live TV during flight, even for a reasonable cost, seems better than watching the same couple of episodes of TV comedies all month long.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Personally I like the 739ER's newer and much more modern cabin. I may be in the minority but I don't mind paying for the IFE either since you are actually getting something for it.

Although it would be nice to have a few programs looping like someone suggested.

I'll miss boarding through 2L and the more FC seats but I enjoy watching football on a Sunday or Monday night flight more... even if I have to pay a few extra dollars for it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Does the 737-900 have changing tables? Does the sUA 752?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I am not 100% sure this is the case with the 739, but in general the aisle on the 737s seems to be narrower than that of either the 752 or the Airbus twins. It was downright painful trying to get to the lav in Y on my 737 a week or so ago--squeezing past anyone in the aisle required feats of acrobatics.

Speaking of lavs, I love how the 752 has one at the front of Y in addition to the rear lavs; that always made it easier for pax in E+ to make use of them during transcons without having to stand in line for 20 minutes.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
It will be a sad day when the 757s are gone... certainly a sportscar for the skies. Contrary to somone's assertion, the 757 can fly significantly faster than a 737. Certainly the cocnomics negate some of that impact it is nice to have... where pilots can actually "make-up" time. Of course the CO fuel heging has made that cost dynamic even more profound.

Last, I wonder if the JS team re-thinks this as the 787 could be on the shelf for many more months. If they retire too many 757s and the 78 isn't available, they will need to really work on their scheduling.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
I am not 100% sure this is the case with the 739, but in general the aisle on the 737s seems to be narrower than that of either the 752 or the Airbus twins. It was downright painful trying to get to the lav in Y on my 737 a week or so ago--squeezing past anyone in the aisle required feats of acrobatics.

Speaking of lavs, I love how the 752 has one at the front of Y in addition to the rear lavs; that always made it easier for pax in E+ to make use of them during transcons without having to stand in line for 20 minutes.
Maybe you haven't flown on a 739 yet and only 738s?? 739s also have a lav at the front of the Y cabin like 757s.

According to Boeing the cabin width is the same on the 757 and 737:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/757...f_200tech.html
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...00ER_back.html
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:03 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDS747
Maybe you haven't flown on a 739 yet and only 738s?? 739s also have a lav at the front of the Y cabin like 757s.

According to Boeing the cabin width is the same on the 757 and 737:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/757...f_200tech.html
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...00ER_back.html
I know I've flown 739s, but of late seem to get 738s much more often, so I am thinking of those I suppose.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Like another poster, i liked boarding in the middle of the plane, the multiple bulkhead/exit rows compared to the 737s. When upgraded, it does make a much more pleasant preflight service, and bag stowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.