Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any science to UA's paid upgrade offers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Any science to UA's paid upgrade offers?

Is there any science or logic to the paid upgrade offers when booking an economy fare on UA.com? I'm guessing not.

Have to book a coach leg from LAX to JFK in November (on a Weds. morning) and both the 6 AM and 8:30 AM are wide open in C.

I've gotten the offer to upgrade a few times on these same PS flights before (at booking) -- but as far as I can tell there's no rhyme or reason to their offering.

A bit of background: could book directly in C, but it's always a much better/cheaper option than booking directly in C. And don't mind if I have to fly that leg in coach as I'm connecting to an SQ flight in C from JFK onwards to SIN.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by filmwill
Is there any science or logic to the paid upgrade offers when booking an economy fare on UA.com? I'm guessing not.

Have to book a coach leg from LAX to JFK in November (on a Weds. morning) and both the 6 AM and 8:30 AM are wide open in C.

I've gotten the offer to upgrade a few times on these same PS flights before (at booking) -- but as far as I can tell there's no rhyme or reason to their offering.

A bit of background: could book directly in C, but it's always a much better/cheaper option than booking directly in C. And don't mind if I have to fly that leg in coach as I'm connecting to an SQ flight in C from JFK onwards to SIN.
As best we can tell, the higher the status you have, the higher the dollar offer will be for the upgrade.

To answer your original question: no.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks.

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
As best we can tell, the higher the status you have, the higher the dollar offer will be for the upgrade.
Well that sort of defies logic. But, then again, with all of UA's changes that are directed less and less towards their most loyal customers, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
The OP said November, it's Jan now so in the future that's now oh 10 months away. Of course they have not opened up upgrade opportunities yet if this sequence is correct.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Sounds like you don't want to spend too much for an upgrade, but if you've got the miles to burn, waitlisting 10 months out is probably a decent bet. When I was a premier exec in 2010 I cleared several p.s. upgrades with miles, and never failed to clear when I tried. (Of course a lot has changed between then and 10 months from now, both in the system and the p.s. plane configuration)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT

To answer your original question: no.
There is explicit language in the upgrade offer that says something like the price offered is determined by the highest status on the reservation. Logic would say this was meant as an assurance to status pax that the higher the status the better the price. If all systems were working correctly this might be the case. But they aren't working properly and United has not made upgrade transparency a priority. They are enjoying strong growth in paid upgrades along with lagging overall performance compared to competitors.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Cynical of United. Assumes higher status flyers are able or willing to pay more, and makes upgrades feel more valuable to them.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:28 am

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
1k here. How come I have never gotten an offer to pay for an upgrade?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by arisaa
1k here. How come I have never gotten an offer to pay for an upgrade?
Because the system is broken. There have been documented cases where non-status customers are offered buy-ups, while Elite customers are offered more expensive or no buy-up at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.