Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyway to avoid United Horrendous Change Fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyway to avoid United Horrendous Change Fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yupyup63
AA has allowed me to change a few weeks/days before as long as the flight is for the same day, w/o charge! ...
preqs of being a high level elite -- which you don;t get on a different airline when you are not an elite. I doubt AA would get me such a freebie.

....AA charges $150 Vs $250 for majority of changes ...
believe you find change fees vary between domestic & international and other factors

... AA allows you to change one segment and pay the fare difference for that segment only not the entire flight Vs United even though I want to change only one segment the fare change applies to the whole ticket
there is probably more to this ....

Originally Posted by Wx4caster
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... Same is true for UA, MP Plat and higher are not charge for SDC. ...
MileagePlus Gold and up, actually ...
I thought/think golds were/are charged $50 for SDC. Free changes don't kick in till PLAT, as stated.
Same-day flight changes

Golds now get free SDC (originally did not) but it changed (5/2011). (thanks dmurphynj for the correction)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 25, 2013 at 1:56 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Same-day flight changes

Golds now get free SDC (originally did not) but it changed (5/2011). (thanks dmurphynj for the correction)

Sure enough! Thanks for the link - it's not every day I see a fee that UA eliminated
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I thought/think golds were/are charged $50 for SDC. Free changes don't kick in till PLAT, as stated.
Not true. Golds get free SDC. I'm a newly minted Lowly Plat and spent most of 2012 as a Lowly Gold, and trust me, SDCs are free for Lowly Golds.

Edit: yup, there's the link. I was a Gold with pmCO (not a Lowly Gold - thats only a UA thing! as well, so this isn't so much eliminating a fee as aligning with CO policy. One in the traveler's favor in this case... Much like the fact that SDC meant 24 hrs previously with pmCO and only 3 hrs previously (and truly the same calendar day) with pmUA.
Threw me for a loop when I had to fly a pmUA flight and couldn't SDC from a morning flight to the previous evening like I could with pmCO. Another policy change in our favor with New United.

Good stuff all around!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Fly 50,000 miles on UA before this trip departs and you can SDC for free.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This seems to be where the problem lies.

Sorry to say, but this is an amateur mistake that is going to cost you money to fix.

True! I wasn't blaming anyone but myself, just was wondering my options how to fix my mistake with out paying the $850 requested by UA, which the experts on this board here so articulately did.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

True! I wasn't blaming anyone but myself, just was wondering my options how to fix my mistake with out paying the $850 requested by UA, which the experts on this board here so articulately did.
It would help if you weren't being so cryptic. For example, since the first flight has been purchased on a separate PNR from the next, why would you pay a whole $800 to change rather than simply buy new tickets for the first leg?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Since OP hasn't provided details, it's hard to help him, but the rock bottom is that since he's booked non-refundable tickets and has separate tickets onward, he can't rely on SDC or anything last minute because his whole itinerary falls apart if the changes can't be made. Remember, SDC is space available. No space = no SDC.

I'e never heard of a $850 change fee. If this is an intl. non-changeable ticket xUSA, the penalty is typically $250. Anything over and above $250 is usually a fare change most likely because the cheap seats OP bought on his original itinerary aren't available on the new flight.

OP has to weigh the risk of waiting for a schedule change or SDC, neither of which may be possible, against the $850. A risk analysis nobody on FT can conduct for him.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
As MP Gold, I was particularly pleased (NOT!) to have to pay $150 to change a $4500 "D" fare LAX-JFK...oh, well...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CO FF
As MP Gold, I was particularly pleased (NOT!) to have to pay $150 to change a $4500 "D" fare LAX-JFK...oh, well...
A change and a "same day change" are two totally different things.

That $150 change (non-same-day) applies to EVERYONE - 1K's pay it, Plats pay it, I think even GS pays it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:43 pm

OP, have you checked on what the fare change would be if you flew a day earlier? An earlier date might have cheaper fares remaining, which could more than offset a night in a hotel.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
can cancel within 24 hours without charge

don't know when you bought it, but can cancel within 24 hours. also, not sure if that is limited to mileage plus tier pax.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by privacylawyer
don't know when you bought it, but can cancel within 24 hours. also, not sure if that is limited to mileage plus tier pax.
that is an universal rule for all airline purchases in the USA and other locations. This option has been discussed multiple times in the thread by not an option for the OP, who stated
Thanks for your reply, but Unfortunately I purchased it a few days ago
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:31 pm

Without mentioning exact destination
Just out of curiosity, what's the big secret? Wife thinks it's a business trip?

Details might help others give a sense of standby potential.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Eliminate or Minimize Award-Travel Cancellation Fee?

I need to cancel a March trip (US-Japan RT) booked with UA miles. Is there a way to eliminate the $150 cancellation fee?

I see on the United site that changing the departure date incurs no fee...can it be changed to a departure next year?

I don't find the answers in the FAQ, so am asking here.

Thank you.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I need to cancel a March trip (US-Japan RT) booked with UA miles. Is there a way to eliminate the $150 cancellation fee?

I see on the United site that changing the departure date incurs no fee...can it be changed to a departure next year?

I don't find the answers in the FAQ, so am asking here.

Thank you.
Yes you can change it to a date more than 21 in the future that has availability for no fee.. you'll need to keep the origin/destination and carrier the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.