Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Day/Connection from East Cost to HKG for GPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marco Polo Silver
Upgrade Availability from North America to HKG

I need to get from DC to HKG (and on to BKK) in late March. I will probably have a challenge to silver, and can purchase a Y or B class economy fare.

1. Do I have a shot at an upgrade to mid cabin with silver and a Y or B class fare?

2. Do I have better odds flying from EWR or ORD?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How do you plan support your upgrade request? With miles or GPU from an higher elite? Or purchasing the upgrade?

while mostly pre-merger http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html, looking at the end is newer comments.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:19 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business-class fares can be pretty cheap; there are probably plenty of Z/P fares in that market that are pretty close in price to the Y and B fares. This is a hard route to upgrade on.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marco Polo Silver
Its about appearances. We travel on government money and everyone is freaked out about the optics of travel.

Though my travel policy allows me to request a biz class ticket for flights over 14 hours, I still can't get it approved. I can get approval to spend as much as I want on an economy class ticket.

Stupid, but that's the way it is.

As for supporting the upgrade, I should be eligible for an upgrade based on status and ticket class, no?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by joelpat
As for supporting the upgrade, I should be eligible for an upgrade based on status and ticket class, no?
No - that is only for domestic flights. International upgrades must be supported with an instrument or cash.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Out of ORD, that is one of the most challenging upgrades, especially on peak days (Fri/Sat/Sun) because there are a large number of business travelers who either paid for biz or have GS or 1K to support their upgrade. I think the last time I took the flight I was about 40th on the wait list as a gold.

Also, I believe the flight from ORD will be 777 instead of 747, which means the flights will be even more crowded and less likelilhood of an upgrade (although at least will benefit from AVOD and real E+ seating).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Miles UG

Originally Posted by Lightman7
No - that is only for domestic flights. International upgrades must be supported with an instrument or cash.
UG US-HKG on Y/B fares are 20K/30K miles respectively each way. Any lower fares will require 30K miles plus co-pay in the range of $350-$600 each way.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
your chances of IAD-NRT-HKG is probably a bit better.

there's always weirdo routings of IAD-PEK-HKG if you're only transiting in China
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:16 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its about appearances. We travel on government money and everyone is freaked out about the optics of travel.

Though my travel policy allows me to request a biz class ticket for flights over 14 hours, I still can't get it approved. I can get approval to spend as much as I want on an economy class ticket.

Stupid, but that's the way it is.

Once your ticket is issued, united.com should show you the cash upgrade price; the difference between the higher Y/B fares and the lower P/Z fares will be small.

Do you fly on a government fare or a published fare? If the latter, the upgrade price should display; in the case of the former, I don't know. People who fly on _CA fares can comment on whether upgrade prices are displayed the same way as for published fares.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I would pick the DCA-EWR-HKG route and try to find flights with upgrade availability and use miles. If you're getting a full economy fare there shouldn't be a co-pay to use miles or you should be able to use cash instead of miles.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:03 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammyindc
I would pick the DCA-EWR-HKG route and try to find flights with upgrade availability and use miles.
Nice joke.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by sammyindc
I would pick the DCA-EWR-HKG route and try to find flights with upgrade availability and use miles. If you're getting a full economy fare there shouldn't be a co-pay to use miles or you should be able to use cash instead of miles.
Originally Posted by Ari
Nice joke.
i wouldn't write it off. i've flown EWR-NRT, EWR-HKG and EWR-PVG multiple times a year for the past few years. my GPU success rate (ever since pmCO started offering SWU's at least) has been 100% all on W fares. i'd guesstimate roughly half cleared at booking, only one cleared at checkin and the rest cleared a week or two before departure.

look at the itineraries and see what you can find. you might be surprised at R inventory for these routes. but if you see some, get it asap. it fluctuates at lot IME.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i wouldn't write it off. i've flown EWR-NRT, EWR-HKG and EWR-PVG multiple times a year for the past few years. my GPU success rate (ever since pmCO started offering SWU's at least) has been 100% all on W fares. i'd guesstimate roughly half cleared at booking, only one cleared at checkin and the rest cleared a week or two before departure.

look at the itineraries and see what you can find. you might be surprised at R inventory for these routes. but if you see some, get it asap. it fluctuates at lot IME.
So has mine. All my GPUs have cleared on that route.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P

I have a flight to Hong Kong in March. Originating in TPA--which connecting cities and days of the week yield the best and worst chance for clearing a GPU?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 24, 2013 at 4:22 pm Reason: merged with existing thread that may be of help
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by TomA
I have a flight to Hong Kong in March. Originating in TPA--which connecting cities and days of the week yield the best and worst chance for clearing a GPU?
Several threads have discussed the fact that middle of the week is usually better for upgrades (Tuesday, Wednesday). Worst days are usually weekends.

I have had personal better upgrade luck on EWR-HKG than ORD/SFO-HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.