Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What beer and alcohol does UA serve on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer and alcohol does UA serve on board?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MCLC
I'm definitely in that group. I am mostly a beer drinker, with wine and mixed drinks far behind, but I can't remember the last time I had a beer on a flight.
+1 - did enjoy London Pride on BA last fall, as well as a great Hefeweizen in LH F a couple years ago
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
Ahhh, but this leap of logic "people might buy a better product, plus be happier with UAfkaCO" requires someone who can focus on the big picture, not counting the pennies that are saved by offering broken nut pieces. The current sCO management team focuses on broken nut pieces.

p.s. to pile on, Heineken is not a premium beer by any means, it is just bud/miller with a little cutter insecticide added to give it an aftertaste. Shock Top/New Belgium/Blue Moon may not be my idea of a "premium beer" either, but all are more interesting and more different than Heineken. I also think from a marketing perspective, Heineken is not premium either...
What if most customers buying the beer actually prefer the stuff being offered on board? Those brands became massively popular (and profitable) for a reason, didn't they??
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
They used to do this at at least a couple of the hub United Clubs. ORD had Goose Island, IAH had Shiner Bock, and other clubs had Sam Adams. Not necessarily "premium" or "craft", but at least a little variety. I recall the ORD B17 club also had Blue Moon.
Yeah, I guess that what I suggested is more or less what they had () been doing at their clubs.

Originally Posted by sbm12
What if most customers buying the beer actually prefer the stuff being offered on board? Those brands became massively popular (and profitable) for a reason, didn't they??
That's kinda what I meant upthread. If, for example, they sell out of all the Bud and Miller they can stock over the course of a flight, it's hard to argue that they should up the quality of their beers. OTOH, they might see added profit if they replaced their unsold stock with better product.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iapetus
That's kinda what I meant upthread. If, for example, they sell out of all the Bud and Miller they can stock over the course of a flight, it's hard to argue that they should up the quality of their beers. OTOH, they might see added profit if they replaced their unsold stock with better product.
I certainly don't think they think they're selling less this way.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I certainly don't think they think they're selling less this way.
They aren't - and trust me they are paying next to nothing for the beer and wine they do sell.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Hmmm, well there is a very long, and interesting tail about the American beer market. It starts with the 21st Amendment, and when it came into play, very large brewers, with lots of money, gave huge amounts of campaign donations to state legislatures which passed restrictive laws which required any company selling beer to have a certain number of distributors and sell state wide, and meet all kinds of hoops that as a practical reality only two or three brewers could meet (for example allowing 3.2 beer sold statewide to be sold in grocery, gas, and convenience stores, but other beer had to be bought from a liquor store in limited hours). [But hey, we know none of this every happened since 5 justices on the US Supreme Court just told us that campaign donations don't create corruption].

Then the big brewers launched price wars against, or bought out, the smaller regional brewers, by the 70s the country was down to something like 40 brewers.

From the 40s until, in many places, the 90s, buying anything but Bud/Miller and in places Coors was either impossible or very difficult. Perhaps you forget this golden era of control by Corporate beer interests?

Then along came a man named Friz Maytag (may we all raise a pint to him) who not only launched microbrewing as we know it, but then spend a major chunk of change on lawsuits and lobbying to change the laws so that people in "fly over country" could have drinkable beer.

Some people want cheep beer, drunkards and hobos come to mind. College kids (although I used to get kegs of Anchor Steam when at CAL ) If you asked fliers if they wanted a $3 Bud or a $4 Micro Brew, some would say "bud" but that is not what we are discussing. OALs charge the same as UAL, and give good beer. Some don't even offer a cheap domestic. It is United that is badly out of step here, not the drinking public.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Not sure what defines a beer as a "premium" beer. Blue Moon quite possibly isn't defined as one, though I'd love to see it on board. Though I'd also love to see some lighter beers, such as Hoegarden or Wiehnshteiphen

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Gotta disagree with that. Most beer customers aren't alcoholics who must drink beer at all costs.
Agree, although many flyers who are interested in a beer are also the type who simply want a beer, and care less about which brand, within reason.

And while some beer customers are happy to drink Bud Light or whatever (I've never met one of these people personally but statistics suggest they exist) I reckon at least 30% of people won't.
That's me. I have no issue with Miller. Is it the greatest beer? Absolutely not. But it's a decent beer for a flight. Won't pay any money on board for it though. And certainly not $7.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I would think they could do some cool stuff with this. They could, for example, foster business opportunities with breweries local to the their hub cities and promote their products, all while making a good chunk of $$$ on those of us willing to shell out for drinkable beer. I'm sure there are enterprising brewers who would love the advertising and steady contract income. For example, they could sell beer from:

• Anchor (SFO)
  • Left Hand (DEN)
  • Saint Arnold's (IAH)
  • Goose Island (ORD)

... pick your favorites from those and their other hubs. (I'm sure many of us would have issues with the specific breweries I've chosen, but to each their own. ) I dunno; I think there's got to be money to be made here.

IOW, it'll never happen.
Great idea, however these planes don't fly A-B-A, some planes might fly A-B-C-D-C-E-B-F and not return to A for days or months. With all these different beers floating around the system, how could they produce a menu of beer offerings, as every plane and flight would be different. Every flt is not catered at every station.

Great thought, but I agree - It'll never happen.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by kettle1
Great idea, however these planes don't fly A-B-A, some planes might fly A-B-C-D-C-E-B-F and not return to A for days or months. With all these different beers floating around the system, how could they produce a menu of beer offerings, as every plane and flight would be different. Every flt is not catered at every station.
Oh, no doubt that there are logistical hurdles to be cleared; you point out a very important one. Perhaps they could offer their selections on an 'as-available' basis (seems to work for most of their in-flight offerings). I just think it'd be a cute way of marketing their flight network.

Wish I could think of breweries from the vicinities of LAX (the one of which I can think -- Craftsman -- is way too small), CLE, IAD (Dog Fish Head???) or EWR (and not NYC beers!).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:27 am

Oh, no doubt that there are logistical hurdles to be cleared; you point out a very important one. Perhaps they could offer their selections on an 'as-available' basis (seems to work for most of their in-flight offerings). I just think it'd be a cute way of marketing their flight network.

Wish I could think of breweries from the vicinities of LAX (the one of which I can think -- Craftsman -- is way too small), CLE, IAD (Dog Fish Head???) or EWR (and not NYC beers!).
LOL if only UA actually had something to do with it! Most of "catering" and foodservice today is outsourced at nearly all locations - have you guys ever heard of SPIRIANT (part of LSG) or Gate Gourmet (part of deSter)? Yes - UA could specifically make their partners select a certain microbrew or brand - but then they would pay MUCH more. There is always the chance that a local station could get creative with a local supplier - but that's not really how the industry works these days....
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR (and not NYC beers!).
EWR beer is Budweiser ...the factory is right next to the airport, and when driving on the turnpike at 6AM, it always smells like Cheerios by the ominous red brick building
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
LOL if only UA actually had something to do with it!
UA absolutely specifies exactly which beers and other drinks are catered on board. They have 100% control.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:04 am

UA absolutely specifies exactly which beers and other drinks are catered on board. They have 100% control.
Omg do you honestly believe this? My business is this industry and honestly you don't know what you are talking about....
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Omg do you honestly believe this? My business is this industry and honestly you don't know what you are talking about....
Why would you think UA has no say over what they offer on board?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why would you think UA has no say over what they offer on board?
Becauae I work In this industry and supply UA! I won't bore you with the details but it's similar to why mcd only offers coke products and bk offers Pepsi.... UA honestly doesn't care about what you are given on board - it's more about which catering company gives them the best deal....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.