Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to O/ON coming Feb. 1, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Didn't check EVERY flight, but so far cannot find a single O seat (and extremely few I) thru EOS

Looking at SFO-JFK for now but other routes are gone too.
In my recent experience at T-24/48 O opens up and starts to approach ON. The lingering effects of Nemo are messing a bit with any award availability on ps routes for the next day or so.

IMO this seems similar to last March when ps award space tightened up. Chalk it up to "learning" by the "new" airline.

Wouldn't want to use the years of experience that existed on these routes in the past (sarcasm).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
If it increases my chances of upgrades then I'll be happier.
+1. Just had no problem upgrading D-ON on all 4 flights FRA-IAD-GIG & return. Never would have found 2 upgradable F seats a month out for these flights. Who wants to fly UA O anyway on an award?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Who wants to fly UA O anyway on an award?
Domestic connection on PS or as a place saver awaiting LH availability.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
snip Who wants to fly UA O anyway on an award?
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Domestic connection on PS or as a place saver awaiting LH availability.
There are times when I am trying to maximize my schedule and not as concerned with maximizing my flight experience.

There are circumstances when I want to fly UA O....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by goodeats21
There are circumstances when I want to fly UA O....
There are plenty of times when I want to fly UA O. SFO-SYD comes to mind. And there are even more times when I want to book UA O, knowing I'll be content with it, but hoping something on another carrier opens up last-minute. Taking ON space away from 1K's was pretty painful for me and definitely boosts the value of GS status.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Their employees are just as disgruntled as their customers...
Their employees are better off. Lack of O means a lot of people don't take trips and UA ends up clearing more non-revs off the standby list and putting them in F.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Their employees are better off. Lack of O means a lot of people don't take trips and UA ends up clearing more non-revs off the standby list and putting them in F.
I meant to say since the mergers the employees are also upset at UA
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
I guess I don't have a problem with UA allocating more seats to upgrades (even though they lose revenue doing this), but I think the real effect will be that GF goes from 60% non-rev to 90% non-rev. I can't possibly imagine why UA would think this is a good idea.
I don't know what routes you people are looking at, but on the routes I monitor-- transpacific routes from ORD and a few others-- I see GF booked to capacity minus 2 or 3 well over a week in advance. And the GF upgrade waitlist generally has people who don't clear at all.

So if GF is 90% non-rev (it isn't), the non-revs are riding positive space.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Can't change awards with ON?

I have an F award that I booked a while ago with a UA segment in ON. Today I called to add another segment at the end (so the UA segment is essentially untouched), but the agent refused because he can't reprice the itinerary due to lack of O availability on the UA flight.

Is this true? If so, this will cause a huge pain during the transition.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by MtRoot
I have an F award that I booked a while ago with a UA segment in ON. Today I called to add another segment at the end (so the UA segment is essentially untouched), but the agent refused because he can't reprice the itinerary due to lack of O availability on the UA flight.

HUACA.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
[QUOTE=chinatraderjmr;20224690...Who wants to fly UA O anyway on an award?[/QUOTE]

Me. HNL-NRT-BKK. GFC available, little BF on my desired dates. GFL saver award isn't that much more than BF saver, anyway. The pmUA 777s are sardine cans in BF. Plus I got a ton of miles that I replace in my revenue flying each year anyway. With few BF seats available at purchase and W fares being a joke, I just use my GPUs domestically between Hawaii and mainland when needed.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM

I had no problem yesterday making a change to an itinerary that included a couple of ON segments. The only problem now is those segments show me as Upgrade Confirmed.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Called again but no dice. Apparently the first agent left a note so I couldn't have the new agent take a fresh look. The irony is that the ON segment is a placeholder that I'm planning to replace once LH releases F award.

Originally Posted by demosthenes1
I had no problem yesterday making a change to an itinerary that included a couple of ON segments. The only problem now is those segments show me as Upgrade Confirmed.
So they stayed ON even after the change? Do you know if those flights had O availability?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM

So they stayed ON even after the change? Do you know if those flights had O availability?
They are still listed as ON. I haven't kept a record of ON status at each step along the way, but right now the flights are ON4 O0. I wish I could remember what ON was when I booked the flights originally in January. Since I just made the change yesterday, I'm willing to bet it was also O0 then. By the way, these are on 777s, so 8 first class seats. The seat maps show two seats taken for my wife and I and one seat for a pilot rest seat. They are still showing F6, even though they really only have five seats to sell.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
From what I can see, it looks like F reward seats on UA are mostly gone. What used to be a good reward to get (F out of IAD) is now completely gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.