Search

Rebooked by United, same booking class?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Rebooked by United, same booking class?

Good morning

I am on a mileage run as we speak. I was supposed to fly PHL to EWR to SAN. Now my flight from PHL to EWR has been cancelled.

I got an email from United last night, telling me that my flight has been cancelled and that I have been rebooked through IAD, arriving in SAN 2 hours later than originally scheduled.

My question is, I was under the impression that when you get rebooked due to the airline's fault you get automatically rebooked in "Y" booking class. Isn't that always the case?

I have the same booking class on my new flights. It's not a big deal I have enough miles to reach 1K this year but it would have been nice to be put on top of the standby upgrade list for the IAD to SAN leg.

Btw, the UC in EWR has been trying to print my new boarding passes for the last 20 minutes with no success.

Thank you in advance for any info can provide.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by stefan76

My question is, I was under the impression that when you get rebooked due to the airline's fault you get automatically rebooked in "Y" booking class. Isn't that always the case?

I have the same booking class on my new flights. It's not a big deal I have enough miles to reach 1K this year but it would have been nice to be put on top of the standby upgrade list for the IAD to SAN leg.

Btw, the UC in EWR has been trying to print my new boarding passes for the last 20 minutes with no success.

Thank you in advance for any info can provide.
No, you're generally rebooked in the same fare bucket or the lowest one available if yours isn't. Even if it appears as a Y, many times the UA back end will know what you were originally booked in and give you credit for that.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Ok thanks.

I just questioned it because on Saturday my flight from SFO to IAH was delayed by 2 hours and it put in jeopardy my connection to Phily.
I received an email from United that I had been rebooked for early Sunday flights to Phily and all of them showed Y full economy fare.

Luckily I made it. We arrived at C-20 at 7.16pm and I got to C-34 at 7.22pm.
The funny thing was that the gate agent said that it did not show me arriving from San Francisco, it showed that I had checked in at IAH and that she thought that I was flirting at the airport and forgot all about my flight.

I guess I should have missed my flight and let United pay for my hotel and meals since it was a mechanical issue in SFO.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by stefan76
Ok thanks.

I just questioned it because on Saturday my flight from SFO to IAH was delayed by 2 hours and it put in jeopardy my connection to Phily.
I received an email from United that I had been rebooked for early Sunday flights to Phily and all of them showed Y full economy fare.
If Y was the only fare available then that's what they might have done. I was 50/50 this year on getting the Y credit when gate or club agents rebooked me in Y due to IRROPS.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:07 am

The system is designed to rebook you I the same fare bucket as your roiginal booked in. If that fare is no longer available, they will rebook you to the lowest available fare ( if Y is the lowest one at the time, that's it)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ben237829624
The system is designed to rebook you I the same fare bucket as your roiginal booked in. If that fare is no longer available, they will rebook you to the lowest available fare ( if Y is the lowest one at the time, that's it)
And the point above is very important - even if it looks like you've been rebooked in Y (or any other class) there's no way of knowing what booking class will eventually post. I was rebooked in F class last week due to a mechanical issue (originally in E) and the flight posted as M a couple of days later.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Random is the rule

Yes, got caught up in the storm mess at the end of Oct; was originally booked Z on UA/LH codeshare and ended up with C and J instead with credit given for the new classes. Other times, have ended up with the old one.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Under SHARES, the answer is it depends - not a guarantee.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:01 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I had a trip CLE-EWR-SEA on the outbound and EWR-SEA-CLE on the return and was upgraded on all segments. Had IRROPS from the word go and was rebooked in F on the later EWR-SEA flight. That flight ended up being very late as well and was rebooked SEA-IAH-EWR-CLE all in F/J (including a trip on the 787). Well that went south and ended up flying SEA-DEN-ORD-MKE-CLE in F and Y class. The ORD-MKE-CLE was because of an oversale on the ORD-CLE and subsequent VDB and reroute. I received credit for rebookings in the F/J/Y class on all segments except CLE-EWR.

Generally I have found that if an agent if busy or just doesn't want to take the time to do it they will book you into F or Y (depending on what cabin you were ticketed in). Occassionally, I've run across an agent who is adamant about booking back into the original class, even if it involves a call to the rate desk.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by star_world
And the point above is very important - even if it looks like you've been rebooked in Y (or any other class) there's no way of knowing what booking class will eventually post. I was rebooked in F class last week due to a mechanical issue (originally in E) and the flight posted as M a couple of days later.
The trick is that if you want to keep the Y miles, credit this flight to another *A partner that is not the issuer of the ticket stock. I've done that with NH and credited the Y fare to my Air China account without problem.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Exactly. I feel most GAs will rebook in Y. SHARES auto-rebook (the few times it actually gave me an alternative I used) sometimes does same fare class, sometimes does Y.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by palmetto86
Exactly. I feel most GAs will rebook in Y. SHARES auto-rebook (the few times it actually gave me an alternative I used) sometimes does same fare class, sometimes does Y.
this is what I found as well, a much beter chance that a GA doesnt follow thru correctly then Shares.

OP if PHL-EWR-SAN is more miles you can call up and ask for that instead of PHL-IAD-SAN ask for Original Routing Credit
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Even with PMUA, GAs were "supposed" to rebook into the original fare class. Most of the time they rebooked into Y because it was easier, but on occasion I've had agents call to get my original booking class opened back up so they can rebook into that class.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I only find it to rebook in Y when you are transferred airlines during irrops (i.e. UA to ANA, US, etc...)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PTahCha
SHARES or not, it always varied depending on the agent. There was never a "right" to rebook in Y on a reroute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.