Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible executive suite shake-up [Confirmed.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible executive suite shake-up [Confirmed.]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Example 2: I've been told by several sUA FAs on sUA flights that he is hiring new FAs on the sCO side, he is cutting flights on sUA metal, and he is not allowing those sUA FAs to switch over to the sCO flights that are replacing the sUA flights. More than a few sUA FAs have explained to me in no uncertain terms that they are being pushed out because of their relatively higher earning rates. Note, I tend to fly on sUA routes with senior FAs.
There are more deliveries coming to the sCO side in the next year or two, so UA needs to staff those aircraft, and at the moment, the only flight attendants that can work those planes must be under the old Continental contract. The fact that sUA flight attendants cannot work sCO flights/equipment has nothing to do with what the company 'allows', it is a contractual term bargained for by the parties.

Within a week we will likely hear that a pilot TA has passed, which will lead to a final agreement and SLI. The pilot deal is the big roadblock to integrating the rest of the workforce, so once the pilots have a JCBA, I don't think the flight attendants will be far behind. After the joint deals are reached, both sides can work each others' metal, and new flight attendants hired under the new contract can be trained to work the entire fleet, regardless of UA/CO origin.

With respect to cutting flying on the sUA side, there have been some reductions in total block-hours as a result of the retirement of some 757s and 747s, but my understanding is that the company will be looking to increase utilization again (after the first unsuccessful attempt) now that many initiatives to improve reliability have been carried out. An order of 737-900ERs is tentatively earmarked for the sUA side to replace 752s on a one-for-one basis, but hopefully JCBAs and SLI will be achieved by the time they are on property and the distinction becomes meaningless.

As far as flight attendants being pushed out, well, yes, there have been rounds of COLAs and early-out packages, but flight attendants are under no obligation to accept them and there is nothing novel about offering incentives to well-paid employees in return for their retirement or withdrawal. DL did it last year and UA/AA/CO have all done it in multiple times in the past, to good effect (avoiding furlough and reducing overall payroll).

If you look at it objectively, there's really nothing sinister going on here specifically regarding flight attendants. Galley gossip can be toxic...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
He created a false argument in that portion of the discussion. It's not a choice between upgrades or profitability. He created that spin, then tried to get everyone to agree that, of those two choices, clearly we need to choose profit. Nonsense.
Disagree

It is in bad faith to offer a rebate then make it impossible to redeem
That just hasn't been my experience at all.

Originally Posted by EWR764
there's really nothing sinister going on here ...
We have a winner.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Example 2: I've been told by several sUA FAs on sUA flights that he is hiring new FAs on the sCO side, he is cutting flights on sUA metal, and he is not allowing those sUA FAs to switch over to the sCO flights that are replacing the sUA flights. More than a few sUA FAs have explained to me in no uncertain terms that they are being pushed out because of their relatively higher earning rates. Note, I tend to fly on sUA routes with senior FAs.
The hourly pay rates on sCO are higher than on sUA. More FAs are being hired on the sCO side because CO had more scheduled deliveries of aircraft in the short-term and the current union rules do not allow the crews to work on the "other" metal.

The sUA FAs have had the opportunity to switch to the sCO side and work those flights instead of new hires. The sUA union initially balked and said that would essentially mean losing all seniority. Eventually they came around and now I believe the cross-hires come in on the sCO side with no seniority but following the integration they'll go back to their old seniority rank rather than remaining at the bottom.

And, FWIW, I've actually spoken with one of the "crossover" FAs so this comes from the sUA side of the house.

It is not at all about pushing out the old FAs. It is about the union not letting those FAs work or getting the furloughed ones back into the workforce.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I believe the cross-hires come in on the sCO side with no seniority but following the integration they'll go back to their old seniority rank rather than remaining at the bottom.
^. A similar program is in place for pilots, whereby UA pilots on furlough have the opportunity to come back to work as (mostly) sCO 737 FOs, then return to higher seniority after SLI. This is a bit of a contentious topic and getting into the finer details of it is really outside the scope of our discussion here, but it is true that the current iteration of the crossover program is essentially a no-lose proposition.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
The hourly pay rates on sCO are higher than on sUA. More FAs are being hired on the sCO side because CO had more scheduled deliveries of aircraft in the short-term and the current union rules do not allow the crews to work on the "other" metal.
This is a bit of a tangent, but there was a nuance in the conversation where the FA explained that there are certain circumstances under which sUA FAs do get paid more than sCO FAs because when certain scenarios happen or on certain types of flights, the sUA contract has more generous compensation than the sCO contract. So, it's not black and white either way.

Also, are hourly pay rates based in part on seniority? I see a lot of older FAs on sUA than on sCO and wonder what role that plays in this conversation.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
When I connect the dots, it appears to me that he is, in fact, going after sUA employees specifically.

Example 1: Look at the composition of the executive suite. Look who was hired and fired when he took over.

Example 3: I recently posted about my last irrops experience which included both poor operational performance and bad customer service. Those are precisely the two metrics that is is blaming on others and demanding they leave for (i.e. scapegoating). If you read the details of my post, it's absolutely clear that every single bad thing that happened during my 25 hour flight delay was caused by systemic organizational factors - either by SHARES or by policies put into SHARES by his executive team or by complete and overall organizational dysfunction. These failures in operational performance and customer service had nothing whatsoever to do with the front-line employees, and yet, that's who he wants to blame.
I might agree and it's still going on. For instance, look who has responsibility for IT. An sUA guy. Responsible for the very system that sUA personnel didn't want and sCO Mngmnt said they wanted to keep and did.

So either Smi/J thinks Foland is good/smart enough to dig them out of the mess of that decision, which I am hoping is the case, or is setting him up to fail over what I believe is a system that must be trashed only to start over again.

The silver lining in all of this though is, we should see some fairly quick shuffling of the deck chairs on this ship in positions below Foland and Compton. In my feeble mind, that's where many of the nuanced issues/problems exist. Mid-Upper level Management who have responsibility for aspects of the business, who either don't know the big picture, can't execute against the plan, are over-employed, don't have the skillset for what is being asked of them or don't know the requirements of the business as it relates to the size of the new company.

If we see changes starting to occur at the Management level below Compton and Foland, then we have a reason to be happy because improvement should be just around the corner. If we don't see changes, I think it will be more of the same.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Let me get this straight - they fired the guys responsible for Marketing and Distributing the STUPID decisions made my management, rather than those who made the studid decisions. Classic.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: MYOB
Well, I know that when you look at the list of officers on the investor relation page, all of them are from CO. Not only that, but the page actually says they are still at Continental! I posted it a while ago, but it was deleted.
Officers are not top to bottom, from side to side at all levels and silos within the organization as described above. There are loads of pmUA Supervisors, Managers, Directors, Managing Directors and VP's. I realize that the thrust of the point being made was in regards to executive level management, and is true, but the added hyperbole does not match fact.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Unless one had flown CO extensively in the past decade and also flown UA pre-merger, I question one's ability to validly judge just how good or bad the airline has been in relative terms.

Thank you. I fit your profile of valid judgers.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milepig
Let me get this straight - they fired the guys responsible for Marketing and Distributing the STUPID decisions made my management, rather than those who made the studid decisions. Classic.
Wasn't aware you had insight into how Fortune 100 companies run businesses - by awaiting top-down decisions only and doing nothing, not even leading your own initiatives. Oh wait..
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:36 am

This is a bit of a tangent, but there was a nuance in the conversation where the FA explained that there are certain circumstances under which sUA FAs do get paid more than sCO FAs because when certain scenarios happen or on certain types of flights, the sUA contract has more generous compensation than the sCO contract. So, it's not black and white either way.
See trip rigs.

The article is about pilot rigs, but they work essentially the same for flight attendants. CO flight attendants generally get better hourly pay, but UA has a better trip rig. So, for trips of longer duration out of base, the sUA flight attendant would receive higher pay provided the rig pay exceeds that of the actual hours flown.

It's a nuance of the contract, definitely a tangent, and something I'm not totally competent to discuss, but the short answer is that the contracts are rather different and you can't make the blanket statement of "one is paid better than the other."
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:50 am

I view this as positive news (except for the dismissed individuals) and now think 2013 will be a very good year for 1Ks.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JetAway
I view this as positive news (except for the dismissed individuals) and now think 2013 will be a very good year for 1Ks.
IMO way to early to start thinking that.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by xzh445
Officers are not top to bottom, from side to side at all levels and silos within the organization as described above. There are loads of pmUA Supervisors, Managers, Directors, Managing Directors and VP's. I realize that the thrust of the point being made was in regards to executive level management, and is true, but the added hyperbole does not match fact.
When I said Officers, what I meant was, Officers.

I recently posted a link to a page on UA's investor relations site where it listed the Officers and it explicitly described every single one of them as currently working at Continental.

Oddly, that post was deleted, and now I'm unable to find that page on the UA site.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: MYOB
When I said Officers, what I meant was, Officers.

I recently posted a link to a page on UA's investor relations site where it listed the Officers and it explicitly described each of them as currently working at Continental.

Oddly, that post was deleted, and now I'm unable to find that page on the UA site.
Smisek appears to have walked into a situation, fired everyone in sight who might have been a threat, replaced them with cronies, and apparently did this from top to bottom, from side to side at all levels and silos within the organization, right up to the BoD (it would seem, since so many of them are from CO).
When you wrote "top to bottom....within the organization", one can only presume that is what you meant. It is the comtimued subtle inuendo put out there to give the false imperssion that it is "all CO" and thus support the call for heads to roll. While it makes great hyperbole and works to support one's worldview, it is just not factual.

So when one reads..
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
I might agree and it's still going on. For instance, look who has responsibility for IT. An sUA guy. Responsible for the very system that sUA personnel didn't want and sCO Mngmnt said they wanted to keep and did.

So either Smi/J thinks Foland is good/smart enough to dig them out of the mess of that decision, which I am hoping is the case, or is setting him up to fail over what I believe is a system that must be trashed only to start over again.

The silver lining in all of this though is, we should see some fairly quick shuffling of the deck chairs on this ship in positions below Foland and Compton. In my feeble mind, that's where many of the nuanced issues/problems exist. Mid-Upper level Management who have responsibility for aspects of the business, who either don't know the big picture, can't execute against the plan, are over-employed, don't have the skillset for what is being asked of them or don't know the requirements of the business as it relates to the size of the new company.

If we see changes starting to occur at the Management level below Compton and Foland, then we have a reason to be happy because improvement should be just around the corner. If we don't see changes, I think it will be more of the same.
we can only assume that means ANYONE fitting those criteria, regardless of whether their underwear has a globe or tulip insignia? Or is it code speak for "get rid of all those "Houston" guys"? Guess what. there are a LOT more "Chicago" guys in those positions than one might be led to believe on these hallowed pages. Be careful what you wish for.
I think shaking things up at this point is good. What is in place isn't working.

Last edited by xzh445; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.