15 November - UA Flights Impacted by Unimatic Computer System Outage

Subscribe
Seeing all over twitter this morning that flights are delayed/cancelled because of another computer outage. I'm flying to EWR-IST today and quite glad I'm taking Amtrak from DC to EWR,

EDIT:
Seems it's actually UNIMATIC (weight and balance) that is down.
But it's cheaper. ^
Currently tarmacking at IAD on UA 229 to SAN. Captain says all traffic is stopped due to a "worldwide communications shutdown". Then he says "these seem to be happening a lot recently". Going back to gate if system not up in 15 minutes.
Looks like it's a Unimatic issue this time.
Update from Captain "those other United painted planes you see leaving are actually "Continental" planes. They have a different computer system. "
SHARES is functioning just fine. I"ve been using it all morning. Unimatic is down. (sUA)
How do you like your eggs sir?
On my face, please.
Yup was checking in for the DO at the Hyatt and the rep there was busy dealing with the outage.

Those folks visiting the ops center downtown are in for a treat if they still go ahead with that part of the tour.
Quote: Update from Captain "those other United painted planes you see leaving are actually "Continental" planes. They have a different computer system. "
I was under the impression that both sCO and sUA use UNIMATIC now for W&B as the other system was retired with the SHARES consolidation...
Was on board ORD-CLE UA 754 and United actually deplaned us. Never a good sign.
Lounging here on the tarmac on UA 286 SFO-JFK..........
Quote: Lounging here on the tarmac on UA 286 SFO-JFK..........
Fox biz news reports their whole computer system is down -- fourth time this year

and some of us think the Delta system is bad !

(last time I used United was on a DC8 !!)

Bob H
Quote: Yup was checking in for the DO at the Hyatt and the rep there was busy dealing with the outage.

Those folks visiting the ops center downtown are in for a treat if they still go ahead with that part of the tour.
Bahaha. Awesome.

I guess that Smisek Q&A just got that much better...
Quote: I was under the impression that both sCO and sUA use UNIMATIC now for W&B as the other system was retired with the SHARES consolidation...
no, CO and UA are different and will be for quite some time.
Quote: Looks like it's a Unimatic issue this time.
Sorry if this is remedial, but what's Unimatic (looks like UA's crew-scheduling system?) and how might it affect flight operations systemwide? Widespread unavailability of expected crew due to scheduling errors or...?

Thanks!