Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

15 November - UA Flights Impacted by Unimatic Computer System Outage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 November - UA Flights Impacted by Unimatic Computer System Outage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Third major outage at UA since June:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...152237369.html

When combined with the March 3 failures, it is becoming increasingly clear that Smisek has not assembled the right team. Running the world's largest airline appears to be beyond his (and his team's) skillset.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Third major outage at UA since June:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...152237369.html

When combined with the March 3 failures, it is becoming increasingly clear that Smisek has not assembled the right team. Running the world's largest airline appears to be beyond his (and his team's) skillset.
Wasn't Unimatic a PMUA system? What does this have to do with Smisek?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by unavaca
Doesn't Smisek run all of it? He's been CEO for over 2 years now.

He also threw out the PMUA system and re-integrated Unimatic into SHARES, the CO computer system they kept. You use the website, so you see the quality of work his people do.

Just like last time, they blamed some router and backup router, but "SHARES was fine."
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
That's all you've got? Remember its PM-UA system that isn't functioning not SHARES, the CO systems is sound.

I guess everyone can sit in their prized E+ seat listening to channel 9 reminiscing about the ugly UA tulip that has gone away and all the outrageous e-certs they collected over the years for defective reading lights, not receiving preferred entree choice, defaced Hemisphere magazines, etc.
And don't forget... sCO brought the attituide beyond belief... a lot of people at IAH and EWR have the same disease.

The buck needs to stop with Smisek. I for one wouldn't complain about the merger if it actually made things better for the consumer. At this point, I get happy when the flight is on time.

Prior to Smisek- #1 on time... and now? Anyone?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
It's not as though they need the computing power of a mainframe to calculate these numbers. I'll bet they could write a "backup" application that they could pull up on a windows PC to manually run the numbers in a minute or two instead of twenty. I don't even think it would be very time consuming to develop. (Big asterisk: I could probably develop it in a couple days, but I'm sure anything to do with flight operations has to go through a multitude of certifications). Still - the ability to keep operations moving in the event of a Unimatic failure would surely save more money in a single outage such as today's than it would cost to develop and certify.
there is a backup application for sCO. I do not believe there is one for sUA.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
“Third quarter sales of paid premium upgrade, which is our product allowing customers to purchase access to the BusinessFirst or global first cabins, increased about 50% versus 2011. SHARES provides us a much more powerful platform to dynamically price Economy Plus, paid premium upgrade and other ancillary products.”

James E. Compton - Chief Revenue Officer and Executive Vice President 10/25/12 3Q call.

“None of those systems, however, has the high profile of our passenger service system, our SHARES system, which powers not only everything that the customer does, but our website and our loyalty program as well, which is a massive system, nor does any of those require the level of retraining that the SHARES system did. So my judgment, we're over the really tough hurdle of IT”

Jeff Smisek – 10/25/12 3Q call.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
I also missed this nonsense by just one day, flying from ORD to BOS last nite.

Interestingly, a headline story at boston.com today takes the time to talk about UAL's problems with the SHARES conversion. Great publicity for UAL, doncha think?

http://www.boston.com/travel/destina...XDJ/story.html
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
Facebook

United
We're aware of a computer issue affecting some of our flights. We're working to resolve it. We'll update as we have more details.
Nothing on the website under "Today's Operations"
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by unavaca
Assigning IT resources to SHARES instead of Unimatic?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by CALMSP
weight & balance, takeoff numbers. Without this, well, no takeoff!
Not exactly true. Aircraft take off every day without this kind of advanced system, especially in Africa & some former Soviet countries. The problem is they tend to not be able to stay in the air more then a minute or so before crashing down to earth. But they can certainly at least get the nose gear off the runway
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1P
Travel waiver up now

Travel waiver is in effect now on united.com
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx

Not that front-page of united.com is responding right now
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by channa
Is it?

Last couple times it wasn't actually Unimatic that was down, rather the connection between Unimatic and SHARES.

Something to think about, Unimatic never seemed to have such reliability issues until they integrated it with SHARES.
Uhhhh...not so old mate.
http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Busin...ssons-Learned/
2007 Pre-merger Unimatic issue

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...utage/161604/1
2009 Pre merger Unimatic issue. Actually caused by an IT worker, but Unimatic none the less. Hey, Unimatic may have "been running fine", but if if SHARES is running fine, and it's a network routing issue...goose/gander. you get the idea.

http://jumpseatnews.com/uni/nws/details.asp?id=1637
2009 Pre merger issue - Unimatic. Crews could not access Unimatic from AOL. Likely AOL's fault, but.....then again. Unimatic was essentially a boat anchor for the people trying to access it while it was unavailable.

Just sayin.

Last edited by xzh445; Nov 15, 2012 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:34 am

Yet another example of the poor implementation of the merger and how things have gone down hill. Really miss the gold old days of CO (as no doubt other miss the good old days of UA). Hopefully the operations merger will be completed soon so we don't have this mish-mash of computer systems. In the mean time, I'm still flying mostly sCO flights and UAX flights and having not nearly as many problems as some.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Yet another example of the poor implementation of the merger and how things have gone down hill. Really miss the gold old days of CO (as no doubt other miss the good old days of UA). Hopefully the operations merger will be completed soon so we don't have this mish-mash of computer systems. In the mean time, I'm still flying mostly sCO flights and UAX flights and having not nearly as many problems as some.
Probably a good choice, in this case, considering neither of those operations were affected by this outage.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yup was checking in for the DO at the Hyatt and the rep there was busy dealing with the outage.

Those folks visiting the ops center downtown are in for a treat if they still go ahead with that part of the tour.
Actually, channa was on the tour and unplugged a couple of mainframes! "By accident" of course...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.