Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cash payment / Western Union options gone for united.com reservations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class

I can no longer find the Cash payment option when booking online.
Is this another "enhancement"?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see the Western Union option any more. And no more pay by phone, either.

Looks like free "holds" are really dead.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Oh no! I frequently used this function to reserve a ticket for family members who don't want to search themselves, and then have them complete the purchase. This really sucks...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
Yep.....looks like it's gone. This one hurts as I used it when I couldn't get the final details of my plans together.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vunder31
Is this another "enhancement"?
Umm no. It's a loophole around paying for FareLock that they finally decided to discontinue, because nobody pays with Cash or Western Union.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm no. It's a loophole around paying for FareLock that they finally decided to discontinue, because nobody pays with Cash or Western Union.
It looks like the farelock price has gone up too. It used to be as low as $7 for 3 days, and now the lowest I can see is $10.
Another change we'll like?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Oh darn, I just did a dummy booking for an itinerary I've been price monitoring (in Jan 2013) and the cash option is gone.

Too bad. I will admit I was a HUGE abuser of the holding itineraries with the pay by cash option. Coupled with the 24-hr refund policy, I was essentially able to hold fares for nearly three days. Oh well, I knew that wasn't gonna last... so blame me fellas.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
The cash option only held a tkt for 24 hours. The old .bomb was mipuch better for holding tkts. SHARES was a horrible downgrade w this & now they made it worse. All fares do not offer fare lock. united
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Smisek has got to get cash into the airline somehow. Nickle and dimeing are the ways he see's able to do it with PRASM down and the lean quarters coming up. I except to see a lot more.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
This is some unfortunate news. One of the little perks I learned about here is gone.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow
... One of the little perks I learned about here is gone.
that what happens when these loopholes are publicized on the internet and are abused
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:50 pm

The cash option actually held until midnight the next day. So it could have been well over 24 hours if you did the cash option just after midnight. Then couple that with actually purchasing the ticket and refunding it within 24 hours of ticketing near the end of the hold period.... that is how one got a nearly 3-day hold on fares. It was super useful for booking trips on relatively short notice where I knew fares were going to keep going up rapidly if I didn't act on them, so I would lock down a fare and get to planning other details of a trip and discard it all if unneeded.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:44 pm

Also I guess I should clarify.... while I guess this pay by cash trick could have been a way to circumvent farelock, farelock isn't offered on every flight (e.g. the late booking flights that I am referring to).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Slurve30
Also I guess I should clarify.... while I guess this pay by cash trick could have been a way to circumvent farelock, farelock isn't offered on every flight (e.g. the late booking flights that I am referring to).
Well, you can still buy the tickets, and cancel the next day.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't see the Western Union option any more. And no more pay by phone, either.

Looks like free "holds" are really dead.
Oof. This is a problem for the following workflow:
  • Put the itinerary I want on hold.
  • Call United and ask them to upfare the outbound segment, but not the return, into W.
  • Ticket and apply a GPU to the outbound segment.

It's really, really hard to buy a ticket in W outbound / K return (if you want to apply an international upgrade to the outbound segment only) without already having the exact itinerary you want on hold.

This workflow will have to change a little now. We can still ticket, then call within 24 hours and beg to upfare without being charged a change fee; or call and book the entire itinerary from scratch with a reservations agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.