Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

can you buy-up for one segment, then use an upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to get onto the IAH-HNL 777 flight (flight #219) in June as part of a larger trip, AUS-IAH-HNL-ITO. I can buy the flights in economy right now and use an upgrade instrument to get into business class on all applicable flights, but my ultimate goal is to get into the first class cabin on the three-class 777. So here's my question: Can I buy these flights in economy, then call the 1K line to buy-up ONLY the 777 segment to business, then apply the upgrades to get into first on both the AUS-IAH and IAH-HNL segments? If this isn't possible, can anyone suggest a better way to get into the first class cabin other than buying it outright?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Where is there a three cabin 777 on your route?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Actually, it works the other way. If you use an instrument to upgrade from Y-C you will usually be able to buy up again from C-F but if you buy up from Y-C, they "usually" won't let you use an instrument from C-F. Makes no sense but what does?

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Where is there a three cabin 777 on your route?
IAH -HNL is switching to a pmUA 777 w the old style F & C seats

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 11, 2012 at 9:53 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Actually, it works the other way. If you use an instrument to upgrade from Y-C you will usually be able to buy up again from C-F but if you buy up from Y-C, they "usually" won't let you use an instrument from C-F. Makes no sense but what does?
Yeah, that's not what I was expecting. I actually thought this would be considered a double upgrade, so not valid. I just might try and report back whether it worked or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.