Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My Planned MileagePlus Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alex_b
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopver Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

MileagePlus Star Alliance Travel Rules
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/starairawards.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is My Planned MileagePlus Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:14 pm

No, read the proceeding posts. JFK-YYZ is operated by AC, not UA. AC does not have authority to transport pax from US to US via Canada.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA should be able to route you this way, assuming availability - there is no legal or other reason they can not sell a US-US itinerary with a connection in Canada (award or revenue). In fact, once in a while, these kinds of itinerary's have been available for sale online. The only thing is, the passenger must clear customs going into and leaving Canada, so must have the proper documentation for this.

AC, on the other hand, can definitely not sell this kind of ticket, though can probably do it as an award. I've definitely booked US-US award tickets through Aeroplan. Not sure exactly why, but if I had to guess, mine is that because awards are booked on operating carrier flight number, and not as a codeshare. In that way, I don't think its any different than a Canadian travel agent booking a wholly US itinerary.
I've been offered flights between Upstate NY and Boston that connect in Montreal.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I've been offered flights between Upstate NY and Boston that connect in Montreal.
That's fine when the operating carriers are US not Canadian. If they are Canadian, it cannot be legally done.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:15 pm

Is this award routing valid?

My father was trying to book a trip to Myanmar from the US, and he was told that the routing he wanted (in one direction) was invalid, and the agent split it up into two awards and charged him for both.

The routing he wants is:

RGN-BKK-CDG-EWR-IAH

I would have thought that would have been a valid routing, am I wrong? If I'm correct, is there anything in particular that I should tell him to say or refer to when challenging the information he was given?

Thanks much.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Assuming no connections of more than 24 hours en route it should be fine.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:25 pm

Nope. No long connections.

You don't happen to know the place in the routing rules to which I should have him refer an agent to get it corrected, do you? He already booked it, and now he has to go get his miles back.

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by tvetter01

You don't happen to know the place in the routing rules to which I should have him refer an agent to get it corrected, do you? He already booked it, and now he has to go get his miles back.

Thanks.
Lately, the routing rules permitted on CO's systems have been "whatever the computer lets you book."
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Lately, the routing rules permitted on CO's systems have been "whatever the computer lets you book."
Unfortunately very true, but at the same time with PMUA *net-blocking would have meant no tkts whatsoever!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:49 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec

Thanks.
First of all, the only pseudo-legit problem I can see with that routing is if it's part of a round trip and the other direction is via the Pacific. Even so, it's fine as long as there are no stopovers, because then the two legs are separate one-ways. If he's got a stopover as well, then it gets tricky -- crossing both oceans on a r/t to Asia may be against the rules even though the computer allows it sometimes.

Regardless, this sounds like a "hang up and try again". He (or you on his behalf) should keep trying until he gets an agent that will price it correctly, then point out that the existing award was mis-priced and ask for the redeposit fee (I'm assuming he's not Plat or above) to be waived.

If it's within 24 hours of booking, I believe he can redeposit for free regardless (can anybody confirm whether that DOT rule applies to award bookings?)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
My father was trying to book a trip to Myanmar from the US, and he was told that the routing he wanted (in one direction) was invalid, and the agent split it up into two awards and charged him for both.

The routing he wants is:

RGN-BKK-CDG-EWR-IAH

I would have thought that would have been a valid routing, am I wrong? If I'm correct, is there anything in particular that I should tell him to say or refer to when challenging the information he was given?

Thanks much.
What was the routing the agent changed it to? The above routing is fine for a one way
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold

The routing he wants is:

RGN-BKK-CDG-EWR-IAH

Thanks much.
The routing should be fine. I did a very similar one earlier in the year. JFK-FRA-MUC-SIN-HKG-ICN and it was fine.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:24 am

Thanks everyone.

It is part of a round trip, and the outbound is across the pacific. The agents have already split it into separate itineraries, though, so he's now got three one way awards (IAH-RGN (across the pacific), RGN-CDG, CDG-IAH).
He's 1K, so he's not worried about redeposit fees, etc.

The agent said that the problem is that the BKK-CDG segment is in O class on TG, and that it cannot be combined with the I class from CDG-EWR-IAH.

I pointed out to her that I had made many itineraries of mixed I/O classes, but she said that it was a rule from TG.

I pointed out that you can book a ticket on the website that is BKK-FCO-FRA with the first leg in O and the second in I, but she said that it was when you crossed the ocean that the rule kicked into effect.

She's just making stuff up, right? I've never known the operating carriers rules to have any bearing on an award ticket's validity; isn't it based solely on UA's rules?

Last edited by tvetter01; Oct 24, 2012 at 9:38 am
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Thanks everyone.

It is part of a round trip, and the outbound is across the pacific. The agents have already split it into separate itineraries, though, so he's now got three one way awards (IAH-RGN (across the pacific), RGN-CDG, CDG-IAH).

The agent said that the problem is that the BKK-CDG segment is in O class on TG, and that it cannot be combined with the I class from CDG-EWR-IAH.

I pointed out to her that I had made many itineraries of mixed I/O classes, but she said that it was a rule from TG.

I pointed out that you can book a ticket on the website that is BKK-FCO-FRA with the first leg in O and the second in I, but she said that it was when you crossed the ocean that the rule kicked into effect.

She's just making stuff up, right? I've never known the operating carriers rules to have any bearing on an award ticket's validity; isn't it based solely on UA's rules?
That's total CRAP!!!! Of course you can mix I & O class. Now your father gave them an extra 80,000 miles. You could have also flown back from CDG-IAH in O class anyway, just not in a CO flight. But you could have used a pmUA flight or routed thru FRA & used LH
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
That's total CRAP!!!! Of course you can mix I & O class. Now your father gave them an extra 80,000 miles. You could have also flown back from CDG-IAH in O class anyway, just not in a CO flight. But you could have used a pmUA flight or routed thru FRA & used LH

I agree! I recently booked TPE-BKK-CDG and there is no F from TPE-BKK so it was in I and BKK-CDG is in F. The only issue I see here may be the fact that you have more than 3 segments. Maybe More experienced FTers can confirm that?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks everyone.

That's a round the world, not a round trip, so the agent did him a favor miles-wise by splitting it into 3 one ways.
An O class RTW is 350k miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.