Bagage UA Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Bagage UA Qantas

Looking to fly UA to SYD in bus UA points

Then going on to PER on Qantas AS points (econ or bus undecided now)

Luggage handling question. As these are two "different bookings" can I still have my luggage transferred (therefore tighter 2nd flight) or will I need to claim my luggage at the general luggage carosul? Get in line, check in for my next flight and check my luggage then go thru security as if I had spent the night in Sydney?

I know I need to leave some wiggle room in case the schedules change (booking 10+months out). But would like to avoid the overnight.

Would the same apply coming back? PER-SYD on Q, then to LAX-SAN on UA

Tried to call UA, but with Sandy going on I do not want to wait in the Q or to hold others up with pressing issues. Talked to Q, and then said to call UA

Thanks. Does UA have baggage agreement with Qantas may be the short question?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
It isn't the baggage agreement that is the issue. It will be the 2 separate PNRs. Currently I think UA still is willing to check bags thru on a continuing flight even if on a separate PNR. However, a number of airlines have begun to stop doing this (HA, DL at the least) due to (supposedly) ramifications of the new DOT regulations regarding baggage charge visibility. Even if UA does this now industry trends suggest that they may not still be doing it 10 months from now. It seems that this is an area that is in turmoil in the industry that I think will take a few years to settle with some sensible rules that can handle cases where multiple PNRs are unavoidable like in your case.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is an interline agreement which permits UA to check bags through to QF. You'll still have to clear immigration, deal with security and possibly change terminals at SYD to get the flight to PER. I'd leave a few hours.

Also recognize that the UA flights to SYD are not incredibly reliable. You could end up in a lot of trouble with the flights in that case. I'd look in to travel insurance covering missed connections for that booking.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: QFF
QF and UA will interline baggage. You'll still collect bags in SYD before customs. Since you're connecting to a QF flight, you should be able to use the QF transfer bus between T1 and T3.

Coming back is different. QF will no longer transfer bags to non oneworld members on different tickets. If both flights were on the same PNR, it wouldn't be an issue. Since you need two tickets, it will be.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Thanks all.

This trip just keeps getting harder. Still working the options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.