Wiki Posts
Search

Which Upgrade Would You Hold Out For?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Which Upgrade Would You Hold Out For?

I'm doing a few days with the guys in Amsterdam & Paris. We're booked to leave 10/15 on UA964 to AMS from EWR on 763. Returning to EWR on UA57 on 764 from CDG on 10/23.

Like most europe flights, I can only waitlist to upgrade. I don't wanna use too many miles, just the 20,000 to upgrade one of the legs. My question is from people's load or upgrade experiences which route is more likely to clear. My gut for some reason believes the AMS would clear easier than the CDG even though the AMS flight is smaller cabin.

Also, is it possible to waitlist for the outbound, and if I don't get it, "transfer" my co-pay and miles to my return. Or do I have to put down another 20,000 miles and co-pay for the return and wait a few weeks for the outbound to be refunded to me?

I'm hoping to try out the new BF product on the 767 on this trip

** I meant March 2013 for dates

Last edited by COEWR2587; Oct 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
My experience is that the eastbound TATL flights are more difficult to upgrade. Higher demand since they take place at night when people are supposed to get sleep. However, you have to be aware that if you want to upgrade coming back to the U.S. from CDG, you'll have to pay the De Gaulle tax in addition to your miles. I think that could run you around $200.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
I'm doing a few days with the guys in Amsterdam & Paris. We're booked to leave 10/15 on UA964 to AMS from EWR on 763. Returning to EWR on UA57 on 764 from CDG on 10/23.
Are these the correct dates? Hard to travel back in time.

My preference is to upgrade the Westbound as I prefer the comfort when I am awake and I can sleep in almost any seat. You could put in for both and then which ever clears first cancel the other.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Like most europe flights, I can only waitlist to upgrade. I don't wanna use too many miles, just the 20,000 to upgrade one of the legs. My question is from people's load or upgrade experiences which route is more likely to clear. My gut for some reason believes the AMS would clear easier than the CDG even though the AMS flight is smaller cabin.

Also, is it possible to waitlist for the outbound, and if I don't get it, "transfer" my co-pay and miles to my return. Or do I have to put down another 20,000 miles and co-pay for the return and wait a few weeks for the outbound to be refunded to me?

I'm hoping to try out the new BF product on the 767 on this trip
The dates you mentioned already passed so are you talking about October 2013 or November?
Miles and co-pay don't tranfer. If you don't clear, you get a refund.
Best bet is to try and find a route with available upgrades at booking.
If that doesn't work, the higher your status and fare, the bigger your chance of clearing the upgrade.
As far as routes, it depends on day of travel but I would say the two destinations have the same chances.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
I meant March 2013
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Miles and co-pay don't tranfer. If you don't clear, you get a refund.
Best bet is to try and find a route with available upgrades at booking.
I meant March 2013
Since the flights are not until March then I would agree with sammyindc and try and find R space before booking so that you know you will clear into it.

If neither have space available at booking then I would again put in for both upgrades (assuming I have the money and miles to spare/tie up). Which ever cleared first, I would then just cancel the other and request the miles back and refund of the copay. Very unlikely that both would clear at the same time unless both are available at booking. Then it is your preference.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sannmann
My experience is that the eastbound TATL flights are more difficult to upgrade. Higher demand since they take place at night when people are supposed to get sleep. However, you have to be aware that if you want to upgrade coming back to the U.S. from CDG, you'll have to pay the De Gaulle tax in addition to your miles. I think that could run you around $200.
Last time, the Chirac tax cost me $75~ for using a SWU for Y>C on CDG-ORD..
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Last time, the Chirac tax cost me $75~ for using a SWU for Y>C on CDG-ORD..
Getting cheaper? Using an AA SWU, my tax was only $47 for CDG-JFK.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Getting cheaper? Using an AA SWU, my tax was only $47 for CDG-JFK.
It's possible (though I haven't been there since March 2011, so I'm not sure what the current price is). Do they base it on the distance you fly?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Perfect tactic. Do both and cancel the other. At least you'll have something, which is better than nothing. Getting R squared away the earlier, the better--even if March is not peak season. The routes you suggested are ALWAYS busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.