Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Subject to receipt of government operating authority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

I have a SEA-IAD-DOH-DXB flight for next year. The IAD-DOH segment is on QR.
When I look up my reservation it has a note that says 'Subject to receipt of government operating authority' on the IAD-DOH-DXB sectors...

Anyone else seen this before?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:48 am

Question Regarding Booking ANA

Hey guys. I was about to book a premium cabin with ANA from Tokyo in May and there's a small line that says the "Subject to receipt of government operating authority."

Is this something I should be concerned about? Has anyone heard of any problems or this happening to someone in the past where the flight was cancelled? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corzlite
Hey guys. I was about to book a premium cabin with ANA from Tokyo in May and there's a small line that says the "Subject to receipt of government operating authority."

Is this something I should be concerned about? Has anyone heard of any problems or this happening to someone in the past where the flight was cancelled? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks in advance!
Don't sweat it. I cannot think of any recent scenarios where such approval was not granted.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Since the route is not yet approved, airlines are required to tell you this.

In case of non-approval, airlines will give you some choices, like:

- Re-routing to a similar route (with difference, or not); or
- Full, unconditional refund

I won't worry at all.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
"Subject to receipt of government operating authority"

I'm looking for flights from BKK-ORD and back to BKK again, and I'm seeing this "Subject to....." message at the bottom of the listings of options. What does that mean?

If there is already a discussion of this subject, I would appreciate a re-direct. I'm looking at NH802 and UA882 for end of April or first part of May. Is it safe to book a biz ticket when something is subject to government authority???

Thanks for your thoughts and information.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sim510
Is it safe to book a biz ticket when something is subject to government authority???
Yes. They have to say this when establishing new routes, but I can't remember a time when it's ever been denied.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:51 am

Curious to know what the "new route" would be. I don't know how long NH802 has been running (maybe it's new?) but I know that 882 has been running from ORD to NRT for years. I've taken this flight many dozens of times.

The thing I don't want to happen is that I have a stop between NRT and ORD. I am very accustomed to going through immigration and customs at ORD and really prefer it over my experiences in LAX, SFO, SEA.

Not quite ready to book yet, but thank you to the FT community for all the information.

If anyone has a problem with such a conditional flight, I'd really appreciate knowing about it.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sim510
Curious to know what the "new route" would be. I don't know how long NH802 has been running (maybe it's new?)
Are you sure you have the right flight? When I look it up, it seems that NH802 is SIN-NRT.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes. They have to say this when establishing new routes, but I can't remember a time when it's ever been denied.
Several years ago my family and I booked round-trip tickets on a new DL route to NBO (routing was SFO-ATL-DKR-NBO). This route was "subject to government approval," which about 2 weeks before our trip was revoked due to security concerns in NBO. IIRC DL had actually started this flight but as ordered to stop it. DL did not tell us this but when I read about in on CNN I called in. They wanted to give us a full refund, but we had a 3 week trip in Kenya planned and that was not an acceptable solution to us. I spent several hours on the phone and was able to get DL to route us on KLM through AMS to NBO, although we had to leave several days earlier and stay an extra day.

Moral of the story is, as always, keep an eye on your flights and be proactive if anything changes. As others have said you will at the very least get a full refund if the airline doesn't get approval, but that may not be a good enough solution if it happens close to when you need to be there.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you sure you have the right flight? When I look it up, it seems that NH802 is SIN-NRT.
Typo, sorry.... NH806. Is this a new route?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Rules for "Subject to Gov't Operating Authority"

I am looking at flights from SFO to PVG over the summer and it appears UA is adding a second combo of r/t flights (UA 890/891). I understand the phrase and the reasons behind "subject to receipt of government operating authority", but I have no idea what United would actually do to reservations if they don't get that authority.

Specifically, since UA already has other flights from SFO (and EWR, etc) to PVG, would they reticket on one of those flights? I could see being SOL if United didn't provide other flights, but they do in this case. And since R space is available on the flights I am looking at today, would I be entitled to BF seats on the alternate flights or will I go back in the hopper for an upgrade?

From the flight seat maps I am looking at, assuming they are reasonably correct, very few seats (or even none, if there is typical blocking) are sold on these pending flights during August. I wonder if I can actually ticket these flights or they are really unbookable. Thoughts? Thanks

(Mods - just found an old thread. Please move. Questions about upgrading unanswered. )
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
My experience on a re-booked TPAC flight with UG confimred

One time I had a confirmed UG at ticketing on a EWR-HKG direct flight. Few months later the direct flight was canceled for seasonal reason and I was re-booked on connecting flights on UA with confirmed UG. I checked the flight immediately info and saw no R space is on the re-booked flight. UA might have opened an R seat for me since I had a confirmed UG.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc715
...(Mods - just found an old thread. Please move. .... )
Done

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...authority.html

.... And since R space is available on the flights I am looking at today, would I be entitled to BF seats on the alternate flights or will I go back in the hopper for an upgrade? ...
Generally, if rerouting is UA caused, UA will maintain the upgrade if a seat exists on a UA operated flight (even if R=0). However if routing requires non-UA operated metal, then it is less likely.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2015 at 4:33 pm Reason: self-merge
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:11 pm

I am looking at flights from SFO to PVG over the summer and it appears UA is adding a second combo of r/t flights (UA 890/891). I understand the phrase and the reasons behind "subject to receipt of government operating authority", but I have no idea what United would actually do to reservations if they don't get that authority.
You'll get rebooked on other flights one way or another. In this particular case I think one of the issues is landing slot times; UA has not received slots it likes yet AFAIK so that flight might not happen as early as expected.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Thanks guys. Helpful. If authority isn't granted, I will report back on how they handle re-booking on their own metal and upgrade assuming R=0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.