Search

UA J (nonstop) vs LH F (connection)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
UA J (nonstop) vs LH F (connection)

All,

Ok, so this is purely hypothetical at this point, but... the wife and I are planning a European trip next fall, flying from IAD to CDG or AMS. Right now, UA has saver J seats available on the nonstop flights on the dates we want to fly, and I have no qualms about grabbing them.

If LH were to release F seats two weeks prior to departure, would it be worth paying the change fees, and giving up the nonstop flight for a connection to upgrade to LH F? Part of me says that for a 7-hour flight, no, especially on a redeye. But I may be wrong.

On the return, we're going to fly MAD-IAD which would require a connection somewhere. In this circumstance, would it be worth the hassle to switch to LH F? I'm leaning toward "probably."

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Can I suggest you try doing a search.
This topic has been discussed extensively, including in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-vs-first.html
Only you can decide whether non-stop versus one-stop works for you.
Do you want to get to your destination quickly or do you want to have more of an "experience"?
And, I believe, any thread you read will tell you that LH F far exceeds UA J.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 21, 2012 at 1:06 am Reason: added "exceeds"
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:08 am

LH first class is excellent. I would go out of my way for the experience. LX is even better.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by BF263533
LH first class is excellent. I would go out of my way for the experience. LX is even better.
+1.

If you can spare the extra time and miles to make the connection, in my opinion it will be well worth it. (Especially if you have never flown LH F.)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It depends,

1) If you or your wife haven't flown international first, it's a nice experience.

2) If it's the old LH F, it's not worth it.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
If I don't have any scheduling issues with work, I'd jump and fly LH F.

If you can get IAD-FRA on the 748, then that is even better!

Absolutely no brainer for personal travel.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by BF263533
It depends in your priorities. I wouldn't go out of my way to fly anyone, nor would I make a stop when there is a non stop on that route. If course, there are exceptions to that rule. There are some airlines I avoid so I'll make a stop w another carrier

Many on FT love to just fly. They do things like mileage runs, maximize time in the air, do same day turns, etc. to each his own.

If your time on vacation is more important Thrn the flight, take the non stop. If you want a nicer flight, take LH.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Depends on what's important to you. Note that for late departing flights that LH has a limited supper service instead of their full dinner service. If food is important, you should check that factor.

Frankly, both will give you lie-flat beds for your redeye and I don't think such a short flight is worth the trouble (PARTICULARLY if your transfer is at FRA) to build a connection.

On the way back, I'd jump over to LH without hesitation, especially if you get enough time to make use of the FCT in FRA.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
If nothing else, if you do LH F on the way back you'll route through FRA or MUC, and get to experience the superb First Class Terminal. It'd be worth it for that alone! You might choose to save some miles by going out in UA C (which isn't bad) and returning in F ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.