Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Free baggage for non-elite companion, separate PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA, OW

Searched but only found info on E+ (which I've already done).

Bigger issue is the free baggage allowance. Am moving and flying my sis along to help with the chaos. We're on separate tickets since I'm one-way and she's return.

I'm 1K, she's non-elite. Does my elite status for baggage also apply to her if we check in together even though we have separate tickets? Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm really hoping the answer is yes as I'd like to be able to bring 6 x 32kg bags along rather than 3.

I found this on the United's site:

Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. The benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:58 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Gotta be on the same PNR for it to apply to anyone other than the member.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Must be same PNR, or previously same PNR (due to rampant PNR splitting by SHARES).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA, OW
Dang! Guess it means time to request an upgrade for her
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:40 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I recently bought a four-segment roundtrip itinerary for a SO with no status, upgraded it to F throughout using one of my CRUs one way and some of my miles the other. She was not charged a luggage fee at all (I had been expecting $25 each way for one bag).
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1P
I recently bought a four-segment roundtrip itinerary for a SO with no status, upgraded it to F throughout using one of my CRUs one way and some of my miles the other. She was not charged a luggage fee at all (I had been expecting $25 each way for one bag).
If booked in F then you get the F allowance, regardless of how you got up there. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.