Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL United Club - First Timer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: free agent
Stopped in there today because I was flying VX out of E.
bathrooms are closed, the place was baking hot and there were very few seats. Unpainted/patched drywall on most walls around the bar area. Everyone looked miserable. Turned straight around and walked to the US C club. That UA club at PHL has to be currently the worst one they have.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Stopped in there today because I was flying VX out of E.
bathrooms are closed, the place was baking hot and there were very few seats. Unpainted/patched drywall on most walls around the bar area. Everyone looked miserable. Turned straight around and walked to the US C club. That UA club at PHL has to be currently the worst one they have.
The drywall at the bar is blocking off the bathroom area. Spoken with the Club staff on my last two trips (including this morning) and they continue to say that there is no work going on with the bathrooms.

Someone mentioned a union dispute. I haven't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me if UA stepped in it by hiring a non-union plumbing subcontractor.

Yes it is a bummer right now. Would like to believe that PHL might be on the list for a renovated club, especially with the prospect of US joining AA. But doesn't seem like we are a priority.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: United MP
I agree that the club here "gets the job done." Although it does need a little TLC. A lot of you mention that it was renovated not too long ago, I can't imagine what it was like before!

My main gripe, besides the bathroom issue, is lack of newspapers. I had to ask the desk lady for a copy of the WSJ. Typically such things are out in the open.

My favorite part of the club is the desk lady. She was courteous and humorous. She also had the Philly accent a welcome reminder of home. (I grew up in PA, now I just travel through it)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: United 1K|SPG Plat
The closed bathroom is a big issue. I was there last week and not all the outlets I tried work either. I might be better off walking to US next time.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zechariahs
My main gripe, besides the bathroom issue, is lack of newspapers. I had to ask the desk lady for a copy of the WSJ. Typically such things are out in the open.
There were stacks of WSJ and USA Today newspapers out this morning. They're on a table around the corner from the front desk.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:53 am

At What Time Does the PHL United Club Start Serving Alcohol?

I’m flying out of PHL on a Sunday soon, just wondering if the Club serves alcohol in the a.m., I know in the past they were not, until like 12:00 noon, anyone have updated info on this? Thanks….

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 25, 2013 at 7:19 am Reason: v a g u e thread title
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I can't remember the specific hours, but PA has screwy liquor laws and clubs, just like any establishment abide by them. Will be the same for the Club as any bar.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cdepks
I’m flying out of PHL on a Sunday soon, just wondering if the Club serves alcohol in the a.m., I know in the past they were not, until like 12:00 noon, anyone have updated info on this? Thanks….
I think I've had my normal Yuengling pretty early in the morning before. But it's been a couple of months and I don't have any upcoming PHL trips to confirm for you (on my way to ZFV as I type this, since my PHL-EWR flight was canceled).

Yes, PA has screwy liquor laws. There are some bills pending in committee in the state senate (the house has already passed theirs) that aim to at least partially modernize the liquor laws. I've already written to all of the committee members urging them to pass the legislation...maybe I should try to get other FTers to do so, too. (I think the vote is on the 30th.)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Can't believe this lounge is only open until 7:30pm. Good thing my flight is out at 8:30, oh scratch that now it's delayed until 10pm. It's on AA, so they won't keep the lounge open. #SAD that PHL doesn't have any priority pass lounges (and the Prestige got rid of the Admirals Club benefit), this lounge here is still a sweaty mess. They've not put a small AC unit in the corner of the bar but its still hot.

Funny to read comments going back 5 years and nothing has changed....as one poster said, it has to be the worst UA lounge.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Can't believe this lounge is only open until 7:30pm. Good thing my flight is out at 8:30, oh scratch that now it's delayed until 10pm. It's on AA, so they won't keep the lounge open. #SAD that PHL doesn't have any priority pass lounges (and the Prestige got rid of the Admirals Club benefit), this lounge here is still a sweaty mess. They've not put a small AC unit in the corner of the bar but its still hot.

Funny to read comments going back 5 years and nothing has changed....as one poster said, it has to be the worst UA lounge.
Not sure how you "can't believe it". The last flight out is around 8pm IIRC.

It's meh, but I'm very easy to please I reckon.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
PHL doesn't have any priority pass lounges
The Minute Suites is part of PP. While they don't have food and drink, it's a good place to work. It's basically having your own office (albeit for an hour only).

I'm in the PHL lounge every week. It's definitely not a shining star but it's not terrible. The DL Skyclub is much better in my experience.

Additionally, Amex will open a Centirion lounge later this year.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:58 pm

This lounge just received a small remodel with the new UC furniture. There are the rows of chairs with power and USB most places. To the right of the reception desk are some of the round tables and the high top desk as well.

The annoying bell is still here though

Last edited by JHake10; Aug 30, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was there after the "remodel" though the food offers weren't up to the standards of the hub lounges. I don't know how it is now.

The bell is annoying, I don't know why they need it at all. Maybe because of how small the lounge is. I recall that I can hear and sometimes see whats going on at the desk depending on where I was sitting.
Though one time I was flying PHL-SFO-SYD and SFO was fogged in. I could hear the person at the desk on the phone talking about me, I guess she was proactively trying to put me on another flight. They put me on PHL-LAX on US and managed to preserve my GPU upgrade by getting me the last J seat on LAX-SYD. The lounge lady gave me her phone number incase I had any issues. Lucky she did because US refused to allow me to checkin because of MCT eventhough I had 75min. Called the UA agent which tried to help me. Finally it turned out that my record was just missing emergency contact info.
So there's at least one very helpful agent working in there.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JHake10
This lounge just received a small remodel with the new UC furniture. There are the rows of chairs with power and USB most places. To the left of the reception desk are some of the round tables and the high top desk as well.

The annoying bell is still here though
Is the bar area still an oven? I haven't been to PHL in years, but remember the small bar area was always uncomfortably hot.

And yes, I remember the bell. LOL
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Is the bar area still an oven? I haven't been to PHL in years, but remember the small bar area was always uncomfortably hot.

And yes, I remember the bell. LOL
It's pretty empty now so the bar area is bearable. However, it does get hot (I'm here every week) normally. They have a portable AC unit which helps somewhat but not much on crowded days.

I also fixed a typo in my original post. The high top table is to the right of reception.

Originally Posted by eng3
I was there after the "remodel" though the food offers weren't up to the standards of the hub lounges. I don't know how it is now.
The food is the standard UC fare it seems. Soup (New England Clam Chowder today) and a small salad section. During the evening hours (like now) they have the cured meat selection as well.

Last edited by JHake10; Aug 30, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.