Wiki Posts
Search

PDX flyers jumping to AS (Alaska)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
On AS, two exit rows plus a bulkhead which non-elites can't buy into with a simple TOD, extra legroom equires hundreds more in a "full flex" fare if you're neither a companion nor an MVP.

Wi-Fi on every plane except a few 734s.

With the exception of those 734s, much newer fleet, no CRTs hanging from the ceiling, and my last AS flight was a brand new 738 with the Sky Interior.

And the most important difference....no Smisek during the safety demo.
To be fair, UA has a few newish Sky Interior 737s flying around as well and if my choice for inflight entertainment is CRTs hanging from the ceiling vs. nothing, I'll always take the CRTs
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I agree...the switch to CR2s was Why can't Shuttle America send some of their RJs to run between PDX/SEA and LAX???? I think that's the only UAX plane I haven't ever flown on yet since they don't seem to let them anywhere West of DEN for some strange reason.
At the very least they need to put the SkyWest CR7s back on these routes. We know they have them because up until last year they were using them for PDX-LAX then for some reason etiher UA or SkyWest decided to stop and switch to CR2s. It really is odd considering the service increases we've both noted at PDX post merger. Granted a CR7s is no 737 or A319/320 but at least its got E+ and a small F cabin.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
At the very least they need to put the SkyWest CR7s back on these routes. We know they have them because up until last year they were using them for PDX-LAX then for some reason etiher UA or SkyWest decided to stop and switch to CR2s. It really is odd considering the service increases we've both noted at PDX post merger. Granted a CR7s is no 737 or A319/320 but at least its got E+ and a small F cabin.
Our flight, LAX-PDX on Jan 21st involves a CR7, lets hope this is a permanent change over the current CR2s.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:18 am
Suspended

Equipment on this route is fully at UA's discretion. I imagine they were getting killed by AS and VX on PDX-LAX, hence the switch to smaller aircraft.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by sxf24
Equipment on this route is fully at UA's discretion. I imagine they were getting killed by AS and VX on PDX-LAX, hence the switch to smaller aircraft.
And the killing will continue. Such a turnoff with that aircraft. A self fulfilling prophecy.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by sxf24
FWIW, VX would be a more viable option for business travellers if they had a flight leaving in the early evening, both from PDX & LAX. I'd also imagine that AS' flights to BUR, ONT, SNA, etc. also contribute to UA's struggles on this route and also B6 to LGB can't help.

If not for the hub at LAX, I doubt UA would even bother with this route anymore.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
FWIW, VX would be a more viable option for business travellers if they had a flight leaving in the early evening, both from PDX & LAX. I'd also imagine that AS' flights to BUR, ONT, SNA, etc. also contribute to UA's struggles on this route and also B6 to LGB can't help.

If not for the hub at LAX, I doubt UA would even bother with this route anymore.
I actually prefer to go through SFO....you get mainline on both flights, an extra EQS, an extra potential for VDB (due to the extra flight segment), and a chance to have breakfast, lunch, or dinner at Lori's Diner in SFO
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mtndave47
Our flight, LAX-PDX on Jan 21st involves a CR7, lets hope this is a permanent change over the current CR2s.
Yes let's hope! +1 @anc-ord the downgrade to the CR2s made competing with AS and VX even worse for sure. UA stabbed thenselves in the foot there. @ kevincrumbs true with LAX being a hub, but that's even more of a reason for better aircraft that would compete better with AS. LAX is a hub and PDX is a decent sized station, it's not a small regional feeder airport in the likes of EUG.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:54 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Yes let's hope! +1 @anc-ord the downgrade to the CR2s made competing with AS and VX even worse for sure. UA stabbed thenselves in the foot there. @ kevincrumbs true with LAX being a hub, but that's even more of a reason for better aircraft that would compete better with AS. LAX is a hub and PDX is a decent sized station, it's not a small regional feeder airport in the likes of EUG.
While I am disappointed that PDX now has barbie jets with no E+ and F, I do not believe UA is interested in getting connecting traffic from PDX except for a few destinations in Socal, SYD, and to other *A partners.

If PDX-LAX does not have the O/D traffic there, then UA will dump the route. SFO will get almost all west coast and beyond connecting traffic with a little of east coast connections [PIT, JFK, etc] while the rest will be funneled through DEN/ORD/IAH/EWR/etc.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
While I am disappointed that PDX now has barbie jets with no E+ and F, I do not believe UA is interested in getting connecting traffic from PDX except for a few destinations in Socal, SYD, and to other *A partners.

If PDX-LAX does not have the O/D traffic there, then UA will dump the route. SFO will get almost all west coast and beyond connecting traffic with a little of east coast connections [PIT, JFK, etc] while the rest will be funneled through DEN/ORD/IAH/EWR/etc.
Certainly all true, but mtndave is reporting that service to CR7s with F and E+ may be returning as of January which would mean UA may be seeing traffic increases on the route; we'll just have to wait and see.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

FT'ers this has been super helpful. You've given me a lot to think about.

To respond to a few items:
1) I'm fairly small in stature (5'9" 140-150 depending on running) so I am fine in CRJs. Kind of like them actually.
2) I am only United Club through various promotions and CC deals. I like that AS will make this automatic.
3) I have stretched to get platinum or 1k but it seems to be getting harder. The lower target top tier is attractive.
4) I do only 1 or 2 int'l a year. I like E+ on these and really loved SWU when I was 1K but unlikely to make 1K anytime again.
5) Going to go back and look at travel patterns, but I bet 50% or more of my travel is straight PDX-DC market and that may end up being the deal maker.

I am an academic so limited travel options are less of a problem BUT i do like the 11 am UA flight going east and I am a fairly regular redeye flyer. And I really need the first class upgrade on the red eyes.

As I say, lots to think about. Thx for super information.

P.S. Like most posters on this forum, really wish UA would get the newer aircraft into the system. I get a lot of work done on the plane, but so much of my stuff is going on the cloud, lack of WiFi is really undesirable.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Well the first trip of the year is being booked, RT to DCA again, but I think the responses here have convinced me grudgingly to stick with United for one more year. The main reason is not my own convenience honestly but the convenience for my daughter who is attending Vanderbilt and diligently using up my FF mile balance! Unless we were actually accumulating the miles on Delta, AK just isn't that helpful for her. And Delta has a top tier status the same as United.

If and until I use up my balance (currently around 200k) and she finishes up, I suspect it's United for me.

Please god please Jeff Smisek stop the damn videos and roll out the WiFi. I don't mind CRJ's but no power and no wifi is so lame.

Thanks again and welcome to the new year for PDX flyers.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Hmm... now the govt agency may force me to fly AK into DCA. Any reason to prefer to get a status match on AK or Delta? I might as well choose one or the other.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I am in DC... and am keeping Gold on UA and MVP Gold on AS. I will take the AS DCA- SEA... better service overall on AS since 3/3 and now direct to SEA.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by user999991
Hmm... now the govt agency may force me to fly AK into DCA. Any reason to prefer to get a status match on AK or Delta? I might as well choose one or the other.
Considering AK flies primarily in Malaysia and ventures into a few other south-east Asian countries, that shows you how confused the govt agency really is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.