Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Correct Regional Premier Upgrade strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Correct Regional Premier Upgrade strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, UA 1K
Question Correct Regional Premier Upgrade strategy?

I just became United Plat and have two regional upgrades and am wondering what is the optimal way to use them.

Is the right way to use them to wait for the upgrade period to begin (72 hrs before departure) and then use the reg upgrade if I am not upgraded? Or should I use the reg upgrade immediately after purchasing the ticket?

Also, there seems to be no way to apply the reg upgrade online. Is calling the only way to apply it?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Do it as early as you can so you don't get crowded out by everyone else using one. Since you will be using an instrument on a flight where you don't want to roll the dice on a UDU clearing, there probably isn't any reason to wait to put it in.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DoubleMiles
I just became United Plat and have two regional upgrades and am wondering what is the optimal way to use them.

Is the right way to use them to wait for the upgrade period to begin (72 hrs before departure) and then use the reg upgrade if I am not upgraded? Or should I use the reg upgrade immediately after purchasing the ticket?

Also, there seems to be no way to apply the reg upgrade online. Is calling the only way to apply it?
If you don't automatically clear as a plat. at 72 hours, you wouldn't be likely to clear on an RPU inside of 72 hours either. As noted, apply the RPU as soon as you have booked the ticket.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

The right way is to use them on flights where you may not be able to get UDU.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100

This is a matter of personal preference, but the strategy I use is to apply them to flights where sitting in coach makes the trip completely undesirable to me, generally flights over 3 hours.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by kit125
This is a matter of personal preference, but the strategy I use is to apply them to flights where sitting in coach makes the trip completely undesirable to me, generally flights over 3 hours.
Kit is spot on -- the real key is using them strategically. It doesn't matter how you value the RPU and when to use it, but just consider where it will be most beneficial to you. No sense wasting it on a short flight or one where you're likely to UDU up anyway.

In general, RPUs are best for longer flights as Kit notes, special occassions/needs (again, personal there), or experiencing a specific premium product to try it out (e.g., a real J seat on an IAD-LAX 777/767 run).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:18 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
After you book a ticket, there is a way to apply it online. Under the seat map there is often an offer to upgrade to first class. Sometimes it is just with $, other times you'll see mileage options. If the mileage option is available, then you can generally use the regional upgrade. I think you can also put yourself on the waitlist this way, but it's been a while since I've done it, so the details are a little fuzzy.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
I have only used one, but my strategy was check for R, and apply it to a long (3+ hour) flight. Maybe my CPU clears as a Plat, and maybe (probably, per my own stats) not.
So the RPU guarantees the upgrade right now. That's worth something.
Hub-to-Hub is likely to be full of elites, so less likely a CPU will clear. Using an RPU there makes sense too if you want the upgrade.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by valor155
I have only used one, but my strategy was check for R, and apply it to a long (3+ hour) flight. Maybe my CPU clears as a Plat, and maybe (probably, per my own stats) not.
So the RPU guarantees the upgrade right now. That's worth something.
Hub-to-Hub is likely to be full of elites, so less likely a CPU will clear. Using an RPU there makes sense too if you want the upgrade.
Or use it on flights like IAD/EWR-HNL, JFK-SFO/LAX.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
I'm in the same boat -- just became Platinum for the first time. I've used one RPU already -- a return from EWR to SFO, through IAH, with two legs on the 787. In that case, I didn't even consider strategy. This is probably in line with the above comment about using it on premium products, like transcon 777s.

I did experience a small bit of anxiety, though, knowing I only have 2 to use. I understand I'll get more with each 25,000 mile increment, but that doesn't diminish the sense of protection over each one.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by aacharya
Or use it on flights like IAD/EWR-HNL, JFK-SFO/LAX.
Or LAX-EWR-SJU and vice versa. :-)
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by aacharya
The right way is to use them on flights where you may not be able to get UDU.
Agreed. I often use them on the Hawaii>Mainland redeyes. p.s. is also nice, though they're much harder to clear these days (ime).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
In addition to everyting said above...when traveling with a companion and you want to ensure you both ugraded, use the RPUs on both of you.

If you think you have the status to clear a UDU, then use the RPU to upgrade your companion first, thus only you have to play roulette and not do it with a +1 after OLCI.

Nothing makes Mrs. B happier than knowing ahead of time she gets to sit in the more comfy chair!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:45 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Becuase RPU upgrades do not clear instantly when R becomes available, I have refrained from applying them if there is no R and set up an alert through EF..

Then the minute R opens up, I'll go and apply it online.

This prevents me from being jumped by a mileage upgrader, someone redeeming saver F/C awards, and someone applying an instrument. However, my strategy results in me jumping the queue including GSes waiting for an upgrade with an RPU.

Until UA fixes the system to instantly upgrade people who are on the waitlist, I will continue to jump the queues.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: 2013: UA 1K (2013: 4/7 UDU, 2012: from GM to 1K!), Global Entry
If I have an AAA-BBB-CCC trip, and we only want to use the RPU if the AAA-BBB trip clears, is EF still the correct strategy? Is RN related to R, so should I put an alert on R, RN, or both? There's an AAA-BBB domestic red-eye with BF lie-flat that I want to try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.