Wiki Posts
Search

Window Shades No Longer Up?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Window Shades No Longer Up?

I thought it was an FAA requirement that all window shades be in the up position for take off and landing? Most of my recent flights have not had this announcement made. Has this requirement changed?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The only time I remember this announcement being made was on the Shuttle America ER7s. Never heard it on UAL mainline.

If its not a regulation, it should be. IMO
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I thought it was an FAA requirement that all window shades be in the up position for take off and landing? Most of my recent flights have not had this announcement made. Has this requirement changed?
Not sure if the requirement changed but I did had the same experience in my recent flights. Perhaps, UA's continuing procedure refinement/change?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
I thought it was only a requirement for exit row windows? I've had the FA come over and open them this year.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
It's not an FAA requirement. The policy is left to individual airlines: US carriers generally don't enforce the requirement; many foreign carriers (SQ for example) do.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The only airlines I ever hear this announcement on is foreign carriers. I just flew MS on Friday and they announced it during takeoff and landing and enforced it as well.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.