Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of FlexPQMs to achieve GPUs and RPUs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Use of FlexPQMs to achieve GPUs and RPUs

I have tried searching the forum and can't seem to find an answer to my question. It may be that I am just not good at "searching" the right way, but I have a question regarding the use of FlexPQMs.

I am already at around 160,000 butt-in-seat miles this year. I have enough FlexPQM to take me over the 200k threshold.

As these FlexPQMs are totally useless to me now in terms of qualifying for 1K in future years, or able to be added to my Lifetime mileage, I figured I may as well use them to get extra GPUs and RPUs.

My question, though, is this:

If I apply my FlexPQMs to take me to 200,000 miles for the year, will I be awarded the extra GPUs and RPUs that would be awarded if I had reached 200k by flying butt-in-seat miles?

Apologies if this has already been answered in another thread, but I just can't seem to find it if it has!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
you can't apply FEQM beyond 75k
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by entropy
you can't apply FEQM beyond 75k
I know that you cannot apply FPQM beyond 75k to gain status, but it is my understanding that you can apply them to add to your balance once you are over 1k.

This is what I am trying to determine. I am already 1K, so don't need the FlexPMs to qualify for status, just GPU and RPU at the 200k level.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
I know that you cannot apply FPQM beyond 75k to gain status, but it is my understanding that you can apply them to add to your balance once you are over 1k.

This is what I am trying to determine. I am already 1K, so don't need the FlexPMs to qualify for status, just GPU and RPU at the 200k level.
What the previous poster was saying is once you are beyond 75K PQM, the online system will not allow the use of FEQMs at all. It does not allow the transfer of FEQMs at all -- so you will need to call and see what the phone agents state but the systems have been programmed to disallowed the addition of FEQMs once you hit 75K PQMs.

This is not a direct answer to your question but creates an additional barrier.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What the previous poster was saying is once you are beyond 75K PQM, the online system will not allow the use of FEQMs at all. It does not allow the transfer of FEQMs at all -- so you will need to call and see what the phone agents state but the systems have been programmed to disallowed the addition of FEQMs once you hit 75K PQMs.

This is not a direct answer to your question but creates an additional barrier.
Yes, I suspect I will definitely have to call in to have them transferred, so I am not too worried about that. It is more about whether I will get the GPUs and RPUs, otherwise there is no point whatsoever in applying them.

Also, if one is never allowed to apply FPQMs beyond the 75k barrier then the FPQMs are totally useless now to many people who regularly fly over 1K.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:00 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Also, if one is never allowed to apply FPQMs beyond the 75k barrier then the FPQMs are totally useless now to many people who regularly fly over 1K.
That is what I thought; but many people pointed out that you have 3 yrs to use them and they can help nudge you to PP on slow years still.
Just get another Club Card for the years when you have 75 FEQMs already
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
.....Also, if one is never allowed to apply FPQMs beyond the 75k barrier then the FPQMs are totally useless now to many people who regularly fly over 1K.
I think that is one of the reasons why the new United Club Chase credit card does not give FPQMs any more; they just give you 1.5 miles for all purchases and 2 miles for UA purchases.
1.5 miles is not bad for ALL purchases.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by keisari
... 1.5 miles is not bad for ALL purchases.
for folks with a ton of FEQMs, more RDMs are probably not of much interest.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffI
That is what I thought; but many people pointed out that you have 3 yrs to use them and they can help nudge you to PP on slow years still.
Just get another Club Card for the years when you have 75 FEQMs already
I am fortunate that the FPQMs I have are the ones that don't expire as I earned them prior to 2011. So, if I can't apply them to get the extra GPUs/RPUs, I'll just hold onto them for a time when I know I'm not going to make status.

Since they "devalued" the EQPM aspect, and took away the mileage bonus, I don't use the card as often. I keep it because I would buy the club membership anyway, so I may as well get some of the other benefits the card provides along with the club membership.

But now most of my spend goes onto my spg AMEX as I can get better value from the points.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
for folks with a ton of FEQMs, more RDMs are probably not of much interest.
I understand that EQMs are better but you can NEVER have too many RDMs
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari
I understand that EQMs are better but you can NEVER have too many RDMs
Never a truer word was spoken! RDMs are like gold to me!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Flex EQM to top of 150K

I know it is not allowed to get 1K status by topping off with Flex EQM. I might be around 5000 miles short of 150K this year and would like extra 2 SWU. not worth a mileage run but 5000 transfer would seem pretty painless.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
It won't let you transfer once you are past 75k, and any Flex PQM do not count towards RPU/GPU thresholds above 75k
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by compwhiz
It won't let you transfer once you are past 75k, and any Flex PQM do not count towards RPU/GPU thresholds above 75k
to support this, Earning PQM with the MileagePlus Presidential Plus Credit Card
Flex PQM may not be combined with Premier qualifying miles (PQM) to earn additional Premier Upgrades or to obtain Premier 1K status. You must earn 100,000 PQM exclusive of Flex PQM in order to qualify for Premier 1K status.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Extra SWU's ain't worth it in any case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.