Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need urgent help: separated from 3 y.o. daughter on tom'ws flight (via upg): options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need urgent help: separated from 3 y.o. daughter on tom'ws flight (via upg): options?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA

Hello:

Apologies for the newbie questions. I'm a brand new Premier Gold (via status match). Flying with my daughter (3 1/2 years old) tom'w domestically, different reservation numbers, but reservations were manually linked in UA's system. Both of us flying on saver award tickets.

I was just upgraded automatically. My daughter was not. I called UA who told me they cannot put the reservations back in the same record (they were once the same, then were split three ways when my wife needed to fly earlier), which means they cannot process the upgrade for my daughter.

Obviously, I have two easy solutions: call UA and downgrade myself back into coach. Or I could buy her an upgrade via additional miles, but 12,500 for a midcon CRJ F seat looks like a ripoff (I guess it's 2 seats, really, mine and hers, but still...).

But do I have any other options? Is there a way to get her to benefit from my status and have her be courtesy upgraded beside me? What if I leave things as they are and go the airport? Would she likely be upgraded beside me at check in? At the very worst, I assume the passenger seated next to her would happily swap for my F boarding pass and I could switch on the plane, but i'm not sure i want to deal with that....

Are there any other options here? Ideally, we'd both fly in F, but I understand if that's not possible. Again, I am a UA rube, for which I apologize.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas.

If it matters: here's the load from EF: F1 A1 Z1 P1 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9

Last edited by Keith Flyer Maven; Sep 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm Reason: added EF data
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
Obviously, I have two easy solutions: call UA and downgrade myself back into coach. Or I could buy her an upgrade via additional miles, but 12,500 for a midcon CRJ F seat looks like a ripoff (I guess it's 2 seats, really, mine and hers, but still...).
You named your options. Be responsible. If you're not comfortable spending the miles, downgrade yourself immediately and get two seats together. AFAIK, you can't travel in separate cabins, anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Hello:.........Both of us flying on saver award tickets............I was just upgraded automatically......
How does that happen?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Even if your daughter had remained on the same PNR as you..she would not have been eligible for an elite upgrade because you're traveling on an award ticket. There are no companion upgrades on awards...only paid tickets and you do indeed have to be on the same reservation. You will not be able to upgrade her with additional miles either unless you pay a change fee...because you'd be changing her type of ticket from economy to first class..not simply upgrading.

You could ask the agent at the airport because exceptions get made from time to time...however the most likely outcome here is that you'll need to downgrade... or.. enjoy your time in F and let the stranger next to your daughter babysit! I'm just joking of course..
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:11 pm

I was just upgraded automatically. My daughter was not. I called UA who told me they cannot put the reservations back in the same record (they were once the same, then were split three ways when my wife needed to fly earlier), which means they cannot process the upgrade for my daughter.

But do I have any other options? Is there a way to get her to benefit from my status and have her be courtesy upgraded beside me? What if I leave things as they are and go the airport? Would she likely be upgraded beside me at check in? At the very worst, I assume the passenger seated next to her would happily swap for my F boarding pass and I could switch on the plane, but i'm not sure i want to deal with that....

Are there any other options here? Ideally, we'd both fly in F, but I understand if that's not possible. Again, I am a UA rube, for which I apologize.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas.

If it matters: here's the load from EF: F1 A1 Z1 P1 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9
I would highly doubt that a GA would upgrade your daughter. As you point out, you can downgrade now and sit with your daughter or wait until tomorrow and 'upgrade' the person sitting next to your daughter. If it were me, I would call and downgrade myself so the upgrade goes to the next person on the upgrade list versus some random person. Either way, my bet is that you are sitting in the back. (Unless you just leave her back there...)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Madone59
How does that happen?
Domestic award tickets are CPU eligible if the mileage account holder where the ticket was purchased from has one of the Chase credit cards that add that benefit.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Downgrade yourself to be with your daughter in coach.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Domestic award tickets are CPU eligible if the mileage account holder where the ticket was purchased from has one of the Chase credit cards that add that benefit.
Indeed. Did you pay the fees with a Chase MP card, OP?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Funny thread.

You are seriously considering not resolving this and getting a seat next to her on the hopes they will upgrade her at the airport?

You need to decide which is more important, you and your daughter sitting together or you getting benefits from your status.

Don't be so sure it's going to be as easy as just swapping seats with somebody, the person next to her may have kids to take care of and won't swap.

I can't believe you actually called and did not just get the seats together, instead leaving a 3 1/2 year old alone in coach.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
There have been a handful of other threads with similar situations (kids & parent moved to separate seats)

Seems the common sense advice is to arrive at gate before they start boarding, explain the seating to the GA, and let the GA and FA work it out. In the end, they will manage to seat the kids next to the parents.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I would leave it as-is. Since these are award tickets likely purchased from the same awards account, if you are CPU eligible, so is the daughter, and if you were at the top of the list, she should be close.

So, maybe she still gets upgraded.

If not, surprise whoever is sitting next to her.

Obviously you can't sit in separate cabins.

Exception is if the two tickets were not purchased out of the same account, in which case the daughter may not upgrade at all.

You can also just tell the GA when you get to the gate to put you back in Y if any chance of upgrade for your daughter appears futile at that point.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by cordelli
Don't be so sure it's going to be as easy as just swapping seats with somebody, the person next to her may have kids to take care of and won't swap.
This is the key issue in my mind and the reason I would call back and downgrade myself before the airport.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I tend to be with the crows that states fix it now and don't wait till travel. BTW, at F1, it is not a sure thing, that you daughter will be upgrades with miles or CPU. Any (late booking) UA Gold will be higher of the list.

Originally Posted by raehl311
I would leave it as-is. Since these are award tickets likely purchased from the same awards account, if you are CPU eligible, so is the daughter, and if you were at the top of the list, she should be close.

So, maybe she still gets upgraded....
while some have reported companions being upgrades, the website is clear
Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
This is the key issue in my mind and the reason I would call back and downgrade myself before the airport.
+1

The best-laid plans and common-sense solutions have a way of going wrong at the worst possible time. Take care of the situation NOW, when you're in control of the variables.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Since the reservations split she is not probably not CPU eligible without you manually adding her at the airport. I would try to arrive early as it may take as much as 20 mins for the ticket agent to do this, and she should inherit your status. If she doesn't clear then sit in coach with her and give your F seat to whoever is in your old economy seat.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Sep 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.