Wiki Posts
Search

United Visa Chase Card- I got conned

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
United Visa Chase Card- I got conned

I bought a ticket on United website to from CVG to Toronto for last weekend. We have flown Delta for years but have relocated to Ohio. When checking out online the website offered a credit card with United Miles, free baggage fees and $50 off the ticket.
On the statement I received the $50 credit. The rest is a joke. My husband checked with his corporate office several days in advance to find out where eticket confirmation was. Flight was suddenly on Air Canada. AAA agent helped him. When I called United, they said it was an Air Canada flight and it wasn't their problem. No one contacted me about cancelled flight. How is that possible several days in advance if there is text, email and cellphones?
At airport at Air Canada desk, the clerk said since it was an AC flight that I did not get free baggage. Evidently, he was very hassled as he spent the morning rebooking the 9/11 flight passengers that were never contacted about cancelled flight. On the return flight, same thing happened.
Despite Delta's problems, I have never been handed off to another airline like this. I don't know who to contact about the misleading text on online offer. It says nothing about affiliated flights. I would love to cancel the card but don't want to hurt my credit. I feel like I have been conned.
Redeem your miles through the Mileage Plus Program for award air tickets and upgrades on United or partner flights, hotel stays, car rentals, merchandise ranging from electronics, jewelry to home and sports products, magazine subscriptions, restaurant dining vouchers and many more!
Info says card is not longer offered as of 9/17/12
Priority boarding. You will get priority when boarding, so there’s no need to stand in line with the majority of passengers.

First checked bag is free for cardholder and another companion on the same reservation. This is a great benefit as it saves you $50 per round trip per person checking one standard bag.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:40 pm

I fail to see how you were conned..the terms of the card clearly states "As a Cardmember, your first checked bag is free for you and a companion when you fly United flights, up to a $50 value." Nowhere does it say that bag is free on other airlines when you use this card.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sorry, but your premise is just wrong. Nothing got cancelled.

UA doesn't fly CVG-YYZ. I will bet that if you look at the reservations page on united.com, it will clearly state that the flight is operated by either Air Canada or Air Canada Express. Go ahead and check a couple of random dates and you will see what I mean.

Nothing got cancelled here. Or, if it did it was an AC flight.

UA (and other carriers) are very clear about this because they have to be. DOT rules require it, so they don't fool around.

Simply put, OP wasn't conned.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm thinking you actually booked the Air Canada flights from the get-go, without noticing it. They could have even had a United flight number with the United logo (with something to the effect of "operated by Air Canada" somewhere).

The credit card offer seems standard on each booking. $50 off, plus the card benefits. The card benefits like free bags and priority boarding are only offered on flights that are actually operated by United.

It seems like the situation might be a bit confusing, but I don't think you were conned.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should always check the operated by. Can usually tell it is a codeshare by the flight number. I don't think you were conned at all.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:47 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Perhaps they could be more explicit about when baggage fees are covered by card ownership. Codeshares are sometimes confusing.

You *will* get baggage fee credit when you fly on United, so the card is worth something, and you did get $50. So unless you're so angry at United for this, why not keep the card and continue with the ongoing benefit when you fly United? It costs you nothing this year.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just went and look at united.com for CVG-YYZ and the website clearly displays "Operated by Air Canada Express" for the two non-stops.

The card t&c also make clear that the checked bag fee benefit applies only to UA-operated flights.

OP isn't the first person not to read the t&c of a credit card, but it's really silly not to. You are applying for credit in your name and not reading about what you're getting into? But, that's OP's decision. What's wrong is suggesting that you were "conned" when you checked the little box acknowledging that you agree to the t&c, but you haven't read them.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What are you saying about cancellations? UA did not cancel any CVG-YYZ flights because they don't operate any CVG-YYZ flights. When you buy a ticket on united.com it tells you so in all caps:
Flight: UA8596
Operated by AIR CANADA EXPRESS - JAZZ.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mphall
Flight was suddenly on Air Canada...Despite Delta's problems, I have never been handed off to another airline like this..
Are you suggesting Delta doesn't do codesharing like practically every other carrier in the world? Try booking LAX-YVR, and see what the nonstop "Delta" options are.

Flight was not "suddenly" Air Canada - it was a codeshare. Trust me - you flew my most frequent route. I normally fly via ORD on UA metal, though when I need to, I fly the AC-operated flights. UA clearly states who it's operated by. I dislike the small jets, but the AC Jazz flights are perfectly fine for the short hop you did. Service is as good as the best UA regionals, plus you get a snack.

UA should definitely let you know if the flight was cancelled in advance, but when did that happen. Not defending UA on this, but I'd it was day of, three may not have been time to do so.

As for the card, never assume the benefits apply on partner carriers unless it specifically says so.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:45 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
If it is indeed conning, can we assume there were no bonus miles and the miles also became Air Canada Aeroplan?
If you really feel you were conned after looking at all the evidence above, please cancel your card - I do not think one or 2 extra card applications will hurt your credit that much.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:43 pm

Why do so many people go with the worst language? A con is a fraud, a crime. OP seems to have been duped by not understanding the plain text and codehares (which are listed both on the itinerary and by the agent when purchasing the flight).

[QUOTE=emcampbe;19340444]Are you suggesting Delta doesn't do codesharing like practically every other carrier in the world? Try booking LAX-YVR, and see what the nonstop "Delta" options are.

I question if the majority of carriers in the world have code share agreements. There are quite a few carriers in the world, many of them in far flung places, which are almost no one know exists. Still certainly every major carrier in the US -- American, Delta, United, & US Airways does. Does WN have any flghts codeshared with sister F9?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are not being conned.

You are being too lazy to read the terms and conditions of the card and just jumped on the $50 statement credit thinking about this was free money...

As others already pointed out, the flight is never an United flight but a code-share operated by AC or the AC Express. You simply failed to see the "operated by" part which is clearly stated on the website as required by DOT.

The card's benefits info clearly states that the free checked bag only applies to United flight. No question there either.

I really hate to see people who messed up things themselves by not carefully checking out details, then jumped up to claim they have been had when in all reality it is all their own faults.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Why do so many people go with the worst language? A con is a fraud, a crime. OP seems to have been duped by not understanding the plain text and codehares (which are listed both on the itinerary and by the agent when purchasing the flight).
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are you suggesting Delta doesn't do codesharing like practically every other carrier in the world? Try booking LAX-YVR, and see what the nonstop "Delta" options are.

I question if the majority of carriers in the world have code share agreements. There are quite a few carriers in the world, many of them in far flung places, which are almost no one know exists. Still certainly every major carrier in the US -- American, Delta, United, & US Airways does. Does WN have any flghts codeshared with sister F9?
It is not even a fair statement to say OP is being duped - the codeshare is clearly shown on website - she missed it / ignored it/ or simply being ignorant about it - but she is NOT duped.

Being IGNORANT does not mean being duped. OP is the former not the latter just to be fair.

I dont think it is fair to say that "operated by" language is deceptive - quite the contrary, it is INFORMATIVE - tell you who operates the flight which is NOT United who sells you the ticket - you can choose not to buy it from United but buy it from the operating carrier instead. How can one say this is deceptive? Unless we accept that in this country everything must be dumbed down to the lowest common level in order to make it understood even for an elementary school pupil.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This typical codeshare confusion -- the airline industry use of codeshares is deceptive, IMHO. The infrequent flyer sees a UA ( or your favorite airline) flight number and assumes the services are provided by the named airline (not understanding the fine print "Operated by ....).

Sorry but I see little purpose other than to be deceptive. What benefit is there to the consumer of codeshares versus use of the native flight numbers?

Realize this has been debated multiple times and others disagree, but doubt the OP would.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:13 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
It is not even a fair statement to say OP is being duped - the codeshare is clearly shown on website - she missed it / ignored it/ or simply being ignorant about it - but she is NOT duped.

Being IGNORANT does not mean being duped. OP is the former not the latter just to be fair.

I dont think it is fair to say that "operated by" language is deceptive - quite the contrary, it is INFORMATIVE - tell you who operates the flight which is NOT United who sells you the ticket - you can choose not to buy it from United but buy it from the operating carrier instead. How can one say this is deceptive? Unless we accept that in this country everything must be dumbed down to the lowest common level in order to make it understood even for an elementary school pupil.
The last sentence of your post says it all.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
... I dont think it is fair to say that "operated by" language is deceptive - quite the contrary, it is INFORMATIVE ....
Which is more informative
Flights SFO-YUL
UA 1102
UA 8302 (Operated by Air Canada)

or

UA 1102
AC 520

to me the second is much more informative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.