Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

connecting flights at newark UA-VS (PLS-EWR-LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

hi there
we are a british family flying back from Provo in the Turks/Caicos via United Airlines and then connecting on to Virgin Atlantic the same evening back to LHR. The flight from Provo arrives in Newark at 6pm and the UK flight leaves 10.30pm. They are in different terminals. I have read conflicting info about whether we can
a)check in our luggage all the way through to LHR from Provo?
b)avoid doing US immigration off the Newark flight and connect directly to the UK flight?
can anyone give me clear advice on the quickest/easiest process? I just hope the immigration line at Newark isn't too bad off the United flight but my guess is we may be between arriving International flights??
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gideon Joseph
...a)check in our luggage all the way through to LHR from Provo? ...
if on a single ticket, should be no problem

BTW, best not to use Provo for Providenciales when talking to an American. Provo in Utah is an America city of over 100,000 people.

...b)avoid doing US immigration off the Newark flight and connect directly to the UK flight? ...
per the practice / law of the USA, all passengers arriving / transiting an airport in the USA, you must clear USA immigration / customs. No exceptions. (Yes this is different from most of the world)

...an anyone give me clear advice on the quickest/easiest process? I just hope the immigration line at Newark isn't too bad off the United flight but my guess is we may be between arriving International flights??
You will likely arrive in Term C and need to go to Term B. Look for signs for the AirTrain and use that to change terminals.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...solidated.html
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Is this all on one ticket? There is a baggage recheck area in international arrival part of the EWR terminal you arrive at (after you exit the customs hall). Whether VS has a station there and can assist you is doubtful, but you could certainly take a look as you walk through. If on one ticket with the bags checked through you should be able to drop them in that area upon arrival.

UA international flights sometimes arrive at terminal B but you'll most likely arrive in C and have to take the AirTrain ver to B where VS is.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

it is not on one ticket - two separate tickets. So, i assume we need to go through the long process and get the air train! any ideas on how busy international immigration is at 6pm in terminal c?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
it is not on one ticket - two separate tickets. ...
that means you will have to go to the VS check in counters @EWR and recheck you luggage. Make should you get this done before the check bag cutoff time for VS.

This does put you are risk if there are any delays with the UA flight. UA has no responsibilities beyond getting you to EWR (not to LHR) if anything goes wrong.

Hope you have long layover @ EWR.

So, i assume we need to go through the long process and get the air train! ...
yes

... any ideas on how busy international immigration is at 6pm in terminal c?
you can look up historical data on this at USA CBP Airport Wait Times, match the day of the week and the time of day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.