Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anybody tried this, do not board connecting flight even get boarding pass and scaned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody tried this, do not board connecting flight even get boarding pass and scaned

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if you are booking award tickets (or not, for that matter), just book two separate one ways (JFK-SFO-LAX and SFO-JFK on different PNRs). then you can not board SFO-LAX and your return ticket will still be valid, plus it should price out the same number of miles as the multisegment "round trip". however i can't understand how you could get a cheaper mileage fare by adding the SFO-LAX connection, then again most things about MP these days i don't understand.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
actually that will make it easier -- deleting a segment from an reward ticket is very possible as long as the new ticket is a valid award. There may be a fee depending on whose miles were used. Worth a call to find out.
Or you're willing to call enough times...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
actually that will make it easier -- deleting a segment from an reward ticket is very possible as long as the new ticket is a valid award. There may be a fee depending on whose miles were used. Worth a call to find out.

If the leg is deleted, it might not be a valid ticket. For example, if I want to get a reward ticket to london but want to avoid the huge surcharge, I book SFO-FRA, the reward ticket is SFO-LHR-FRA, the returning is FRA-IAD-SFO. If I get to LHR and do not board LHR-FRA, can I still use FRA-IAD-SFO. Just another reward booking idea, maybe we can find creative way to avoid LHR's huge surcharge.

Originally Posted by ddrost1
if you are booking award tickets (or not, for that matter), just book two separate one ways (JFK-SFO-LAX and SFO-JFK on different PNRs). then you can not board SFO-LAX and your return ticket will still be valid, plus it should price out the same number of miles as the multisegment "round trip". however i can't understand how you could get a cheaper mileage fare by adding the SFO-LAX connection, then again most things about MP these days i don't understand.
sorry for misunderstanding. JFK-SFO-LAX is just an example. The reason I want to use this is for Milege run. Sometimes LAX has best fare but do not need SFO-LAX. For this example, there is nothing to do with reward redemption. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
....If I get to LHR and do not board LHR-FRA, can I still use FRA-IAD-SFO. Just another reward booking idea, maybe we can find creative way to avoid LHR's huge surcharge.....
UK APD is charged for flights departing UK.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If the leg is deleted, it might not be a valid ticket. For example, if I want to get a reward ticket to london but want to avoid the huge surcharge, I book SFO-FRA, the reward ticket is SFO-LHR-FRA, the returning is FRA-IAD-SFO. If I get to LHR and do not board LHR-FRA, can I still use FRA-IAD-SFO. Just another reward booking idea, maybe we can find creative way to avoid LHR's huge surcharge. ..

sorry for misunderstanding. JFK-SFO-LAX is just an example. The reason I want to use this is for Milege run. Sometimes LAX has best fare but do not need SFO-LAX. For this example, there is nothing to do with reward redemption. Thank you for your help.
So just to double-check, your original posting was a hypothetical? might have been nice to have mentioned that. Solutions to your question might be airport dependent.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i think i'm going to need another glass of wine.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So just to double-check, your original posting was a hypothetical? might have been nice to have mentioned that. Solutions to your question might be airport dependent.
I apologize for that. It is hypothetical. Because of mileage run, I uses example SFO-LAX.

Originally Posted by TerryK
UK APD is charged for flights departing UK.
true, but if from UK to europe, the charge is relatively small. That's why I choose SFO-FRA, not SFO-LHR. Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 14, 2012 at 1:20 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ddrost1
i think i'm going to need another glass of wine.
I may need two.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
true, but if from UK to europe, the charge is relatively small. That's why I choose SFO-FRA, not SFO-LHR. Thanks
This whole thread is shady as is the op. I would suggest we not support whatever scam he is trying.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:38 pm

Scanning one's boarding pass and then coping a U-Turn is nearly impossible and all for 414 extra miles (or 500 if the OP has some horse power) when doing 2 - one way MR's, and making up this scenario ta-boot ----- HUM!!!

Three glasses for me!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Scanning one's boarding pass and then coping a U-Turn is nearly impossible and all for 414 extra miles (or 500 if the OP has some horse power) when doing 2 - one way MR's, and making up this scenario ta-boot ----- HUM!!!

Three glasses for me!
I told you all already it is just an example. For mileage run, sometimes you have nice fare drom LAX, sometimes from SFO。 I just want to know whether it is possbile. If this question offend anyone, sorry about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.