Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Can I Tell if a Particular UA Flight is Oversold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Is there a way to see if UA1014 departing tomorrow 9/12 is oversold? I see on the flight standby list that both economy and first are listed as full. However, is there any way to see if it is oversold and by how many seats? ultimately, I want to know if there will be an opportunity to be bumped.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:54 am Reason: noncompliance with http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
That's not public information for competitive reasons.

You can call and they have to tell you whether or not it's over, but not by how much. Airport agents usually disclose more since it's obvious you're a traveller.

Things may change prior to departure though, so if you're looking to get a bump, just get there and give it a shot. The flight could have misconnects, no-shows, etc., that all are out of your control, so you really can't tell until it's showtime.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
Is there a way to see if UA1014 departing tomorrow 9/12 is oversold? I see on the flight standby list that both economy and first are listed as full. However, is there any way to see if it is oversold and by how many seats? ultimately, I want to know if there will be an opportunity to be bumped.
No there is no way to determine that information unless you know someone with internal access to UA's systems. As of right now the flight is sold out in first but there is one economy seat for sale. Y1 B1 M1. It's very possible that the flight is oversold but not for sure. You'll have to wait until you get to the airport to find out..unless you're offered a bump at checkin (which happens sometimes when a flight is oversold and they believe they'll need volunteers).

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Sep 11, 2012 at 9:50 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:49 am

A slight verbage consideration:

Overbooked is when the airline has taken more reservations for seats on a given aircraft. Oversold is when the aircraft has filled with confirmed (revenue and a few select catagories of nonrevenue) passengers and there are further confirmed and ticketed passengers left seaking to board.

There are GA agents out there when asked "Is this flight oversold" will respond no even if it is overbooked and may well oversell. It best to ask "Is this flight overbooked and might it oversell?"
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. If they do bump flyers, could I chose the future flight I would want to be on as long as there is open seats? For example, I'd be interested in taking the 6:30(ish) pm but I'm sure they would want people on the next flight. Would I have that option or would they stick me on what they want without my input?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Thanks for the help. If they do bump flyers, could I chose the future flight I would want to be on as long as there is open seats? For example, I'd be interested in taking the 6:30(ish) pm but I'm sure they would want people on the next flight. Would I have that option or would they stick me on what they want without my input?
You can have reasonable input..if there is space on the 6:30pm flight the same day they'd put you on there instead of the very next flight if that's what you wanted to do. Would not be a problem.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I am hoping I have the opportunity. I see directly on united.com that this flight is no longer an option if you pick this route, so I'm hoping this is a good sign.

Opps... correction, I see they are still selling an m fare.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:05 am
Suspended

just to add to what others have said;

1- last Weds my flight was Oversold turns out I was told by 3 which to me means no VDBs will be needed. Later on Tues it was Y1 we were now only over by 2 , seems that flight 3 was the max theyd oversell by which isnt good for a VDB since there are tons of folks on full fare tkts and booking several flights probably on several carriers to protect themselves (LAX-JFK) There were 10 on the SBY list and everyone of them got on! So a flight being soldout or oversold doesnt mean much unless its oversold by say 8+, in my case once it was oversold by 3 it was taken off the site which to me means no VDBing

2- so routing , # of flights per day, where the flight is heading all contributes to if you will end up scoring and if others will want to as well

3- as Ive posted many times Ive been on flights that were way Oversold and yet left with empty Y seats

4- its best to get there ASAP the GAs dont show up till apx 45-60 mins before the departure time , you should be there at least 75 mins before. It doesnt hurt to ask at the check-in counter to be put on the list but only the GA can confirm what they will give you Compensation wise and what your alternative flights will be. Thats why I want to get to the GA ASAP just in case the amount isnt high enough or the alternative flights wont work for me (its agood idea to have a couple alternatives in hand as well

Ive turned down VDBing when the comp was way too little (yet others were fighting each other over it $100-150) or the alternative flights just didnt work for me.

PMCO had it down to a science and were excellent at overselling the flights but where in the end no Vols were needed. Every so often they were wrong and Im positive they have the same folks doing it for COdbaUA.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Let's say I checkin, check my bag and go to the gate and the flight is not oversold, could I still move to a later flight so I could enjoy time in the red carpet lounge? As you can tell I never get this opportunity so I may ask questions that are obvious to others.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:16 am
Suspended

personally I wouldnt make any concrete plans based on my flight not being available for sale any longer, at times they dont Oversell a flight even by 1 and once its full they shut down the sale of tkts

you will have more say on the alternative flight if they dont have any others that want the Bump and Need you. If on the other hand if they need 3 people and have a list of 15 your bargaining power is greatly reduced.Now if the 6:30pm flight is wide open it may be OK if its close to be full and the other flights that day are Over, Id expect them to turn you down since they can get you onto the next flight that has room but the flights after dont and they will need that 6:30 seat for a VDB from a flight after yours

But if everything is open they generally will work with You I find as long as you are flying that same day
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:19 am

Let's say I checkin, check my bag and go to the gate and the flight is not oversold, could I still move to a later flight so I could enjoy time in the red carpet lounge? As you can tell I never get this opportunity so I may ask questions that are obvious to others.
You can do a same day change to a later flight for $75 if your same fare class is available on the later flight. $75 is the fee if you're silver or have no status..it's free if you're gold or above. At the airport it's possible they'll waive the same fare class requirement..but they probably won't waive the $75 fee. You could take advantage of the "flat tire rule" which states if you miss your original flight but show up within 2 hours after you can go standby on a later flight that day. But that is a gamble...it looks wide open right now but if an earlier flight gets cancelled it could fill up quickly.

By the way.. it's now just called the United Club..they got rid of the Red Carpet last year.

Edited: if you check a bag your bump chances decrease by a lot..they would much rather bump someone with no luggage. Also.. you won't be able to voluntarily go on a later flight if you check your bag and then go request it in the lounge. You're supposed to fly with your luggage.. unless the airline elects to send your luggage on an earlier flight. You're not allowed to do that yourself.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:19 am
Suspended

Ive never enjoyed spending any time in the Club its not say The Harvard Club in NYC. I could understand if it was a Virgin Atl ClubHouse where you can get a haircut, shower, massage, workout, jump in the pool. But the RCCs just arent 1% of that

What you want is a SDC (same day change) depending on your status it may cost you some $$
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:27 am

No, generally once one checks a bag one is locked into flying as scheduled. Keep you bag with you; not having a checked bag often makes one a more appealing vol. Easier for the airline altogether not to have to either deplane a bag or have it travel seperately. And having a check bag reduces your options of rerouting: almost no chance of flying to an alternative airport.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I'm Premier Gold status so I guess I could show up at my original, check my bag and then go from there. It is true, the united club isn't like the international carriers, but I usually like to enjoy it for a bit.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Indelaware
No, generally once one checks a bag one is locked into flying as scheduled. Keep you bag with you; not having a checked bag often makes one a more appealing vol. Easier for the airline altogether not to have to either deplane a bag or have it travel seperately. And having a check bag reduces your options of rerouting: almost no chance of flying to an alternative airport.
For an Intl flight you are correct, since CO does everything at the checkin counter rather than the Gate. For Domestics it doesnt matter whatsoever, most of my VDBs were when I already had my bag checked and I was never told sorry since you already have a bag checked I cant take You

It is true, the united club isn't like the international carriers, but I usually like to enjoy it for a bit.
To each their own, its 1 thing if I got a VDB but simply to hang out and take a later flight just to sit in the Club you will Never find me doing that , can promise you.Id rather be wherever it is Im heading and have my feet up on the bed/table/desk then to be hanging in a UA Club

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.