Wiki Posts
Search

wrong gate approached on landing at SEA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2MM
wrong gate approached on landing at SEA

Yesterday (10/3) coming into SEA from DEN on UA 1059, I noted to my seatmate in 2B that it was very odd that we were approaching the B concourse, instead of A. We were coming into B11, the ground crew looked surprised, the plane stopped, took a hard right, and we eventually ended up where we were supposed to be at A11. A seemingly innocuous mistake, but on an active runway such mistakes could be less innocuous. Have others seen this happen?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Runways are controlled and treated by pilots in a completely different manner. The slippery-slope equivalency is just not there.

If you listen to Channel 9, you'll catch occasional slip-ups by your pilots, other pilots, and ATC. One time, ATC sent a flight I was on 100 miles off-course, and then corrected themselves and apologized profusely. But at all times, they knew where we were and provided separation.

These things happen. But there is a huge difference between these day-to-day blunders, and a runway incursion or mid-air collision.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Runways are controlled and treated by pilots in a completely different manner. The slippery-slope equivalency is just not there.

If you listen to Channel 9, you'll catch occasional slip-ups by your pilots, other pilots, and ATC. One time, ATC sent a flight I was on 100 miles off-course, and then corrected themselves and apologized profusely. But at all times, they knew where we were and provided separation.

These things happen. But there is a huge difference between these day-to-day blunders, and a runway incursion or mid-air collision.
+1. Speaking as a (non-airline) pilot, I've screwed up once or twice and gone off in the wrong direction at the airport while taxiing to the runway. But going onto a runway, whether by taking off or landing, is an event no one takes lightly. Additionally, at major airports there are at least a couple systems in place to catch mistakes, if controllers or pilots do make them. Some airports have lights embedded in the taxiways and runways that will light up when an incursion or unsafe situation is detected; another system will display something to the tower controller(s).
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I'll bet if you looked ahead you would have seen a DL plane......
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I'll bet if you looked ahead you would have seen a DL plane......
^^^
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heh, at least it was the right airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.