Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"GG BUYUP" references to a policy (not publicly published) that UA will waive change fees, if on your presently booked flight you wish to buy-up / upfare to the next cabin. That is, pay the fare difference from your present economy fare to business / first.

If the agent is unfamiliar with the policy, ask them to reference "GG BUYUP" or ask a supervisor.

Note this is only on UA tickets and only applies to the same flight, flight changes are not permitted by policy (a rare agent might but generally no).

This does not waive change fees for buying-up to a "W" fare to apply a GPU but some agents may still waive the change fee and some may not.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except there is no consensus whether that policy still applies.
It does, I've done it recently - the OP needs to HUCA until they get someone who knows what they are doing. Often it requires specific phrasing for the agent to fully understand with an emphasis on same flight, same date, same route and referencing the information on SHARES.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
To which post are you referring? I made no such statement.
Of course you're right...I mistakenly responded to your comment on Often1's post, which made the blanket assertion that a change fee must be paid. Sorry about that.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Neophytetraveler
I called United to see about upgrading my flight to first (same flight), was told the upgrade fee for one leg was $213 plus $200 change fee. Does this sound correct? They want to charge me for giving them additional money?
that's not correct. There is no change fee for cabin buy-ups

Except there is no consensus whether that policy still applies.
I have done this several times recently over the phone and none of the agents even attempted to charge me change fee

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It does, I've done it recently - the OP needs to HUCA until they get someone who knows what they are doing. Often it requires specific phrasing for the agent to fully understand with an emphasis on same flight, same date, same route and referencing the information on SHARES.
That's weird, my experience with this is pretty good. Agreed, calling until someone knows what they are doing is pretty much always the right answer when dealing with UA
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
HUCA For the WIN!

If at first you don't succeed, try again! The first try was a no-go. But second try was fantastic! Very nice agent who upfared my reservation with not a whiff of a change fee!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by United747
If at first you don't succeed, try again! The first try was a no-go. But second try was fantastic! Very nice agent who upfared my reservation with not a whiff of a change fee!
^^

Wish I'd known about this when I paid twice to upfare TATL Ws to P. I had good pmUA agents, too.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100

This happens more than it should, but HUCA is the best approach, despite it being a PITA....
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^^

Wish I'd known about this when I paid twice to upfare TATL Ws to P. I had good pmUA agents, too.
[Bolding mine]

As I mentioned upthread, GG BUYUP is a pmCO feature. There are still many UA agents who don't know all the pmCO nuances (and I don't hold that against them, by the way), so it's important in cases like this to find out if you are in fact dealing with a pmUA agent; at that point, either HUCA or mention to the agent that it's a pmCO thing...the good ones will investigate further.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I have a somewhat convoluted scenario that I'm hoping GG BUYUP might be able to help with. Would love feedback/ideas!

Flying MSY-EWR on an H fare. I would like to change to fly MSY-LAS-EWR (with an overnight at LAS). Online I'm quoted the $200 change fee, plus any fare differences. Is there any way to successfully invoke GG BUYUP here? Can I buy up into a higher, changeable fare class on MSY-EWR and then subsequently make the desired change sans fee? Or can I somehow argue that I'll be spending more on the ticket by adding the extra segments through LAS and get the change fee waived? Perhaps if I buy up on the extra/new segments?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WingnutSYD
I have a somewhat convoluted scenario that I'm hoping GG BUYUP might be able to help with. Would love feedback/ideas!

Flying MSY-EWR on an H fare. I would like to change to fly MSY-LAS-EWR (with an overnight at LAS). Online I'm quoted the $200 change fee, plus any fare differences. Is there any way to successfully invoke GG BUYUP here? Can I buy up into a higher, changeable fare class on MSY-EWR and then subsequently make the desired change sans fee? Or can I somehow argue that I'll be spending more on the ticket by adding the extra segments through LAS and get the change fee waived? Perhaps if I buy up on the extra/new segments?

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately not...the strict interpretation of the buyup offer is same flights, same routing, same dates, same everything - it is only used as a mechanism to collect a fare difference to move someone into the first class cabin.

If you wanted to make this type of change, it needs to be done within 24h of ticket purchase to avoid the change fee.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:26 pm

I actually just answered my own question, sort of. Called up and first agent I spoke to offered to waive the change fee if I buy up into F on the new MSY-LAS-EWR segments.

I did mention "GG BUYUP" by name, but the agent also said she was sUA when I asked and didn't directly acknowledge the GG spec or anything.

Not sure what this case falls under! Anyway, have to weigh up whether I want to go ahead with this, but good to know it might be possible. (What are the odds I get a similarly helpful agent should I call back...)
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WingnutSYD
I actually just answered my own question, sort of. Called up and first agent I spoke to offered to waive the change fee if I buy up into F on the new MSY-LAS-EWR segments.

I did mention "GG BUYUP" by name, but the agent also said she was sUA when I asked and didn't directly acknowledge the GG spec or anything.

Not sure what this case falls under! Anyway, have to weigh up whether I want to go ahead with this, but good to know it might be possible. (What are the odds I get a similarly helpful agent should I call back...)
Interesting. May I ask what the add-collect was (i.e., the fare difference)?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Interesting. May I ask what the add-collect was (i.e., the fare difference)?
Around $450
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:06 am

An epilogue: I called up again today and requested the same thing; this time the agent passed me on to a supervisor who said that GG BUYUP would not apply here because I'm not buying up on the exact same flight. After a bit of polite back and forth and me saying things about not gaming the system and more revenue for them if I do this, regardless of rerouting, she said she'd waive the fee this time. So I went ahead and did it.

Hopefully this is helpful for others in similar situations! I think it's just a matter of making your case.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Change fee waived on LHR-SFO

A friend bought an S class coach ticket LHR-SFO a couple weeks ago. I had a GPU to give for an upgrade for him and so tonight I called and the agent, without asking, said the change fee would be waived and just charged the fare difference to go from a S fare to a W fare -- $34. I'm a 1k and my friend for whom I was sponsoring the GPU is a general member. Not sure if this was just a courtesy because I'm a 1k or this is the standard for upgrading an international coach fare, but just wanted to add this data point. Phone agent (US based I surmised from her accent) was really courteous and very personable!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:02 am

Earlier this year, a friend gave me a GPU to use. I had to change my fare to W, and when I called (as gold), I explained I wanted to change the fare so that I could use the GPU. She knew about the policy and explained they don't charge a fee to do that, and she changed my fare and just charged me the difference. So it seems like they will do that for anyone, not just 1Ks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.