Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When do IAH International upgrades clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum

Flying XXX-IAH-FRA in a few weeks. Waitlisted for J with a GPU. This is my first TATL on CO metal. Curious to know about others' experiences with when these upgrades clear.

Do they ever clear some folks before day of departure? If not, do they clear them a few hours before the flight, or just at the gate? Can I hang out at the UC, or do I need to be there at the gate lest I be skipped over?

Thanks in advance for the advice
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Last Sunday I (re)sponsored a couple of GPU's for my relatives who were traveling on Thursday (LAX-IAH-FRA). I wasn't optimistic on the IAH-FRA flight (saw only a few seat available). However, both cleared the following day (Monday) on the IAH-FRA segments. Unfortunately their LAX-IAH flight was delayed for nearly 4 hours and were rerouted via SFO (without upgrades).

Their return FRA-IAH-LAX had cleared a couple of months ago.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Flying XXX-IAH-FRA in a few weeks. Waitlisted for J with a GPU. This is my first TATL on CO metal. Curious to know about others' experiences with when these upgrades clear.

Do they ever clear some folks before day of departure? If not, do they clear them a few hours before the flight, or just at the gate? Can I hang out at the UC, or do I need to be there at the gate lest I be skipped over?

Thanks in advance for the advice
They do sometimes clear a few days in advance. Most of the "last minute" upgrades are done 1-2 hours prior to departure IME. I usually ask at the United Club for a new boarding pass prior to heading to the gate.

You do NOT need to wait at the gate. If they upgrade you at the gate they will give you a new boarding pass when you board.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much -- great intel
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Will My Upgrade Clear from EZE to IAH?

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your insight. I am flying from EZE to DEN via IAH. EZE - IAH is on waitlist (UA52 - October 6).

There are 12 open seats in BusinessFirst. I am using Miles & Money. What are chances of this getting upgraded?

Again, Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by denuaflier
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your insight. I am flying from EZE to DEN via IAH. EZE - IAH is on waitlist (UA52 - October 6).

There are 12 open seats in BusinessFirst. I am using Miles & Money. What are chances of this getting upgraded?

Again, Thanks.
Are the 12 open seats according to the seat map? If so, not the best indicator! Inventory still shows J9 C8. That's a better indicator!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
12 open seats per UA rep on the phone.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by denuaflier
12 open seats per UA rep on the phone.
Your chances of clearing are very good.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Mine ended up clearing about D-68

The system seems to have worked as it's supposed to... I got an email from UA that it had cleared, and the flight had gone from J7 to J2 with no R seats being publicly exposed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.