Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD-HKG double RDM promotion thru 31 January (updated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE

Moderator note: Now good through 31 January.

Double RDM for all travel on UA895/UA896 September 1 - October 31

http://www.unitedairlines.com.hk/loc...nus_miles.html

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:30 am
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Thank CX for this--their new HKG-ORD service starts today

Last edited by jss; Sep 1, 2011 at 9:37 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jss
Thank CX for this--their new HKG-ORD sefvice starts today
I'll take it. I am already booked a flight next week on UA895/896. I registered anyway. It says only on itineraries purchased after Sept 1, but you never know.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Will one-way ORD-HKG within period also count?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by kb1992
Will one-way ORD-HKG within period also count?
Roundtrip travel is required in F, A, J, C, D, Z Y, B, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S booking classes

I don't find this so called "promotion" that really gives you anything.

First of all, the lowest fare bucket T, L, K are all excluded. It is currently running $1023 ai roundtrip for UA, matches CX's lowest cheapest Y fare. However, on UA, the $1023 fare is a K class, so it would be excluded in the promotion.

Second of all, you can't price as S, so basically you have to price in W, and that comes out as $1472 ai. Would paying extra $450 worth the extra 15574 RDM ? Keep in mind on a highly popular ORD-HKG, even if you use a SWU, you may still have a chance to stuck in Y for 16 hours.

I can only see this promotion is good for those already have plans to go in September or October, and I certainly wouldn't pay the extra $450 for those RDM. I would rather pay the lowest and route thru EWR, and still get the extra 5000 EQM and RDM instead.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:06 am

Competition helps
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I don't find this so called "promotion" that really gives you anything.

First of all, the lowest fare bucket T, L, K are all excluded. It is currently running $1023 ai roundtrip for UA, matches CX's lowest cheapest Y fare. However, on UA, the $1023 fare is a K class, so it would be excluded in the promotion.

Second of all, you can't price as S, so basically you have to price in W, and that comes out as $1472 ai. Would paying extra $450 worth the extra 15574 RDM ? Keep in mind on a highly popular ORD-HKG, even if you use a SWU, you may still have a chance to stuck in Y for 16 hours.

I can only see this promotion is good for those already have plans to go in September or October, and I certainly wouldn't pay the extra $450 for those RDM. I would rather pay the lowest and route thru EWR, and still get the extra 5000 EQM and RDM instead.
Agreed on it not being a cost-effective basis for purchase.

But if you are already going to book the flights in one of the listed fare classes, whay not register to get the additional miles?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
There are a lot of people who are sitting at 86k RDMs for a year, who would VERY gladly hand over $450 to get the extra 15k RDMs. I'm deep beyond 1k BIS this year, but there have been years in the past where picking up an extra 15k RDMs would be worth a lot of money to me....
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
Question What's all the fuss about for lousy 15k RDMs?

Originally Posted by ljwobker
There are a lot of people who are sitting at 86k RDMs for a year, who would VERY gladly hand over $450 to get the extra 15k RDMs. I'm deep beyond 1k BIS this year, but there have been years in the past where picking up an extra 15k RDMs would be worth a lot of money to me....
I don't understand this response ljwobker. $450 for 15k RDM? Any kettle could go online to .bomb and buy 15k for $564. Seriously! Furthermore, as a 1P or up, if you flew ORD/HKG, you're already earning 15,574 RDM. The way I read the promotion's T&Cs, you're earning double the base miles, so a 1P or up, you're only going to earn an extra 7,787 plus any CoS bonus you might get.

I would never go out of my way to fly a route with bad upgrade odds and so many hours on an uncomfortable Y product for 15,000 RDMs. Maybe for 15,000 EQMs...

So, is there something special waiting for you when you hit 101,000 RDMs? I've got 1.5M RDMs and I can tell you nothing special happened for me...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I think you are confusing RDM with EQM.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you get 100K RDM for ? 100K RDM doesn't grant you 1K status. One need 100K EQM to get 1K but 100K RDM wouldn't do you anything.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: nobody
Have to go to Singapore end of September, still debating whether I should route through HKG or NRT. I always like transiting at NRT in part because lousy departure time from SIN-HKG, this may tip me over. I was hoping they do DEQM promotion, one can only hope.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by wilp888
I think you are confusing RDM with EQM.
I think so too!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Have to go to Singapore end of September, still debating whether I should route through HKG or NRT. I always like transiting at NRT in part because lousy departure time from SIN-HKG, this may tip me over. I was hoping they do DEQM promotion, one can only hope.
I don't know if that qualify even if you buy on 895 and 896 since you are going to SIN but not HKG.

6. Award miles are valid for travel solely between Hong Kong and Chicago on United nonstop flight numbers 896 and 895.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Yea, UA 895 is a bit lousy with extra transit for ORD pax, however it gets to SIN at 23:30 vs. UA 803's 23:55 so the end result is pretty much the same if slightly better when connecting through HKG.

Besides, it's possible to get in to the city at HKG for the long(ish) layover, a luxury you can't afford when going through NRT due to the sheer distance to TKY.

I'd say go for the HKG connect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.