Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions About Travelling IAD to FCO in Upgraded Business Class on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by tods27
Maybe he knows you too well....
hahahahahahaha

He tried to talk me into flying into Naples, as opposed to Rome

IAD to (Paris, Munich, Amsterdam) to Naples and my wife hates/affraid to fly so she wanted as less connections as possible.

So IAD to FCO (Rome) was the easiest and cheapest.

Also going direct, we leave around 6 at night, get into Rome around 8:30 am or so. Those Naples flights would get you into Naples between noon - 2 pm and I tried to tell him, I can easily get out of FCO and to Naples within 4-6 hours (basically the lay-over/extra travel time flying into Naples) and he said, you would be lucky to do it and Capri would take 8 hours. I was assuming he was just telling me this so I would use the same route others are taking.

He is a very slow mover, and needs to think about things and "rest" and relax. I am move move move move, so that is why I guessed at 4 hours because I think actual travel times on trains, cabs, boat is approx 2 1/2 - 3 hours so that gives me an hour of "waiting time".

I just thought 8 hours was way to much.

Last edited by Toddie00; Aug 21, 2012 at 9:17 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allenkeys
I had a flight booked for months, and it was showing lie flat. 24 hours out the seat map changed to the old config, and sure enough that is what I flew. The best way to approach this is to expect the old config, and be pleasantly surprised if they are the new seats.

Time from FCO to Capri depends on your transportation. Driving from FCO to Naples should take no more than 3 hours. The fast ferry from Naples to Capri is 40 mins. I believe you are not allowed to take a car to Capri unless you are a resident.

See you are taking the train, and can't help there, but here is the ferry info:-

http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule
I have checked for the past 3 months and it still has been the lie flats.

So I am assuming that unless their is an equipment issue/change, we should be lie flat the way there ^^^
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Let's give it a bump since I leave in a few days...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry

You can check on ualcargo.com to see which plane you're taking. It's usually more accurate than the seat map a few days out. B777 means old config and 77Q is flat bed. If it switches to the old config on the cargo site but not the seat map, I'd wait until it does to check in (since you're already confirmed in C). This will avoid the pain of switching with everyone else who's caught off guard.

That said, I hope you've still got flat bed seats! It's a great way to spend a 9-hour flight since you have time for a meal (I recommend Executive Dine if you want more time to sleep) and can get some decent shut-eye before experiencing public transport in Italy.

Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.