Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 14, 12, 1:48 am   #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 440
HYD-SEA *A economy award

Hi,

I am looking to book an economy award from HYD-SEA at the end of August and the dates are relatively flexible. What is the best way I can search on united website or expert flyer to find a low level saver ticket? What segments should I be looking for? I was looking for HYD-FRA-SEA on LH but that doesn't seem to be available. Is LH still running nonstop HYD-FRA segment? Also is the $75 close in fee only for flights with in 14 days or 21 days? Appreciate some pointers.

Thanks
Ik.
ikonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 1:55 am   #2
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Houston, TX is home. Currently working in the Middle East.
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonos View Post
Hi,

I am looking to book an economy award from HYD-SEA at the end of August and the dates are relatively flexible. What is the best way I can search on united website or expert flyer to find a low level saver ticket? What segments should I be looking for? I was looking for HYD-FRA-SEA on LH but that doesn't seem to be available. Is LH still running nonstop HYD-FRA segment? Also is the $75 close in fee only for flights with in 14 days or 21 days? Appreciate some pointers.

Thanks
Ik.
The close-in fee for non elites is for flights within 21 days. Here is the link to the rules:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx

Another option to fly from HYD-SEA is taking TG via BKK. You might want to just play with a dummy booking on the website to see what is available. Checking on 28Aug there is saver availability HYD-BKK-NRT-SEA.

Good luck.
SunBurntCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 1:57 am   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CANADA
Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Plat, MVP Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IC Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Posts: 322
HYD-SEA *A economy award

You would be much better off trying to find something ex Bom or del. hyd doesn't have very many options. Also the dates you are looking for fall in the summer period with very little availability. If you are flexible try looking from mid sept onwards.
__________________
Round the World is the only way to go
M Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 2:04 am   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 440
I am trying to have the travel completed as early as possible. My start is from HYD but I dont mind connecting via BOM/DEL or any other gateway as long as the HYD-Gateway is included in the ticket.

@SunBurntCountry Yes, I was looking at that as well and was about to reserve/hold it and the united website wouldn't recognize my US address for payment. Its a new address and united has problems recognizing it somehow.
ikonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 2:11 am   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Houston, TX is home. Currently working in the Middle East.
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonos View Post
I am trying to have the travel completed as early as possible. My start is from HYD but I dont mind connecting via BOM/DEL or any other gateway as long as the HYD-Gateway is included in the ticket.

@SunBurntCountry Yes, I was looking at that as well and was about to reserve/hold it and the united website wouldn't recognize my US address for payment. Its a new address and united has problems recognizing it somehow.
Try putting it on 24hr hold by paying for it in cash. Then call UA and have them ticket it. They should be able to waive the telephone service charge if you explain to them the error you are getting.
SunBurntCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 2:25 am   #6
uwr
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SEA
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonos View Post
I am trying to have the travel completed as early as possible. My start is from HYD but I dont mind connecting via BOM/DEL or any other gateway as long as the HYD-Gateway is included in the ticket.

@SunBurntCountry Yes, I was looking at that as well and was about to reserve/hold it and the united website wouldn't recognize my US address for payment. Its a new address and united has problems recognizing it somehow.
Actually, availability to HYD is significantly better than to DEL, BOM, MAA, or BLR, at least during peak periods. I just booked for a friend, and awards were available to HYD during the summer and holiday periods. There was scant Saver availability for the other cities.

Microsoft has a large presence at HYD. Is that why you're going from SEA?

LH stopped HYD service last fall. Now, you will need to take an itinerary such as:

UA-QR or AC-QR SEA-(IAH/IAD/JFK/YUL)-DOH-HYD
or
TG/ANA or TG/UA BKK-ICN-SFO or BKK-NRT-(SEA/SFO/LAX)-SEA (last leg if needed).
There are also connections via BKK/China, but the layovers are long.

Just today I booked a business class award for a friend and it was painful because of the phantom availability discussed in another thread about QR awards. I got LAX-YUL-DOH-HYD on AC/QR and HYD-BKK-NRT-LAX on TG/ANA. Includes the A380 from BKK-NRT.

Go to the UA website and book online. Phantom availability on QR will make this a difficult process. On the payment page, instead of paying, you should click on the link for phone reservations. If that gives you an error, it means that no seats are available. If it gives you a reservation number, then you can finalize the seat by going to "manage reservations" and purchasing the ticket (you need to pay the fees).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurntCountry View Post
Try putting it on 24hr hold by paying for it in cash. Then call UA and have them ticket it. They should be able to waive the telephone service charge if you explain to them the error you are getting.
This will also help you weed out phantom availability on QR.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 12 at 5:42 am.. Reason: merge
uwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 7:33 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 440
I was worried the only saver award on 28th would disappear so I eventually got it to ticket on TG/NH HYD-BKK-NRT-SEA routing. As I worried, as soon as I booked the ticket, the saver award disappeared.
ikonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 12, 3:47 pm   #8
uwr
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SEA
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 810
Seems to have worked out well.
uwr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:38 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.