Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Never mind the catalog, no duty free to India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum

This was news to me. Granted I had not flown to India since 2008 but when I asked about a duty free product after looking at the catalog, I was told they no longer have duty free on flights to India. Bizarre. Can we at least remove the catalogs from the plane then?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Probably not as the plane goes to other destinations besides India. I do find it bizarre that there was no duty free on the flight, and even more so that some one wanted to buy from it.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:10 am

They carry supplemental oxygen bottles in 2 carts on India flights where the duty free carts normally are.

Removing the duty free magazines would be a logistical pain in case of a last minute plane swap etc.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Removing the magazines would take all of a few minutes. OAL's do it all the time.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Duty Free on UA83 last night

Just arrived at EWR from DEL this morning (UA83),and I was definitely offered Duty Free. Not having Duty Free on board may well have been a one-time occurrence.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; T-Mobile G2 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've had duty free on my 4 flights to/from DEL in past 4 months, so I think it is the exception rather than rule for India flights.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Removing the magazines would take all of a few minutes. OAL's do it all the time.
US doesn't. It happens, and it looks like a one-off occurrence, so why bother removing and adding the magazine each time aircraft transitions from duty free to non-duty free. That's a hassle.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had no duty free last week IAD-MAN. No catalog, and no annoucement.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Just arrived at EWR from DEL this morning (UA83),and I was definitely offered Duty Free. Not having Duty Free on board may well have been a one-time occurrence.
Nope, probably only on the BOM flight, which is longer and therefore they require to carry more fuel versus DEL, where they can probably manage to carry a bit of duty-free.

(Although this probably doesn't apply to the posts which were in 2012, but nowadays they have reduced biz baggage allowance from 3 pieces to 2 pieces, so that saves some weight for most non-elites on board)

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; T-Mobile G2 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've had duty free on my 4 flights to/from DEL in past 4 months, so I think it is the exception rather than rule for India flights.
Originally Posted by featheroleather
They carry supplemental oxygen bottles in 2 carts on India flights where the duty free carts normally are.
Correct - that is what I was told as well - especially on the extra-long-hauls.

Originally Posted by Jade_BR
This was news to me. Granted I had not flown to India since 2008 but when I asked about a duty free product after looking at the catalog, I was told they no longer have duty free on flights to India. Bizarre.
On BOM flights I was told this - that sector was probably the one you were flying....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.