Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Something New at United's website - fares quoted in Foreign (Pesos, Pounds) Currency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Something New at United's website - fares quoted in Foreign (Pesos, Pounds) Currency

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
I got Taiwan Dollars shortly after 3/3. Haven't gotten anything of the sort recently. Oh wait, that must be because I'm searching aa.com and as.com instead.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
.bomb pricing in JPY???

OK - so this is a new one for me. I just did a price search on .bomb - LAS to SEA RT, September 11-14. Fairly routine. My settings are US English (there is no setting for Canadian English, eh?)

The price I got back was 20,900!

"20,900! ...!" thought I...

Then I realized that it was in Japanese yen. Which is truly odd because I've never been to Japan, have never searched for a trip to Japan, and was last searching for a trip from New York to Denver.

Mind you, I do like chicken teriyaki. Maybe the .bomb website has become sentient and is sending a subtle message to consider relocating. Then again, given that I'm 6'4" and blonde, I'm not sure how well relocating to Japan would work out for me...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:11 am

United website charging CNY on flight from EWR to PDX???

I was looking to book a flight on United from Newark to Portland. I received a shocking price of over 3,100 but then realized that for some reason instead of showing me the price in US dollars it showed it in CNY (Chinese Yuan). Anyone else have that happen?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
United website charging CNY on flight from EWR to PDX???

I got one in another currency. Closed down and tried again and was fine. Bizarre.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Yeah I've had it happen randomly a couple of times. I can't remember what currencies came up (I want to say one of them was BRL - Brazilian Real) but I just logged out, cleared cache and logged back in and USD came back.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I find, especially when using the Advanced Fare finder, it is easy to tab through some of the fields and accidentally change the currency. This may not have been your case, but it happens to me every now and then and I lot of my flights end up priced in INR.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:05 am

I wasn't using the Advanced Fare Finder (I had simply entered the basic flight info on the United home page), but I did close down and try again and then received the fare in US dollars.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Fare quote in USD

Make sure on the top right section of the UA website next to your name is set to "United States - English" Otherwise, foreign currencies will appear.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Columbian Pesos?

I was pricing out a roundtrip SFO->MEL tonight, and the fare was quoted in Columbian Pesos.

What is up with that?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Maybe it was from a previous setting. Were you previously in Colombia?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by am1108
Maybe it was from a previous setting. Were you previously in Colombia?
no need to have been, this is not new for the new UA since 3/3

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-currency.html
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:48 am

Hmm, were you using a mobile device or using shared wireless Internet in a public place? Maybe someone who previously had your IP address was using United's Colombia site.

I find that when I load Chrome in "incognito mode" (no persisted client-side cookies, no cache) and open united.com, about 30% of the time the site still shows my name at the top and offers me my user-specific locale, even though there is no client-side state to support that behavior. I think there's probably a subtle server-side concurrency bug where united.com is reusing sessions in a way it shouldn't be.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I find, especially when using the Advanced Fare finder, it is easy to tab through some of the fields and accidentally change the currency. This may not have been your case, but it happens to me every now and then and I lot of my flights end up priced in INR.
Not sure what "Advanced Fare finder" is, and more importantly what it does for you. Do you mean the "advanced search" option on the first "reservations" page that comes up on united.com, which has some additional fields, none of which appear that helpful save perhaps the one that lets you pick a fare class, and hence buy W rather than a lesser one so as to be able to use a SWU? There is that choice of country and language, but that doesn't affect the currency thing does it?

What I'm most interested in is helps in fare finding. I'd really like something as simple, straightforward and helpful as the old Farecompare page that would rank order destinations according to lowest cpm, but I don't expect anything like that through united.bomb. Maybe I'm unaware, though, of more sophisticated ways to use united.bomb and get more out of it. What I don't need is fares quoted in Colombian pesos and other strange currencies, as I have gotten a couple of times now.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
UA domestic travel fare quoted in GBP?

All well and good, I suppose, if I had requested that currency, but it appeared, all unbidden about a half hour ago.
Worse, I saw no way to request fare quotes in US currency--never had requested GBP in the past, was checking LAX-OGG availability today.
"?"
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:30 pm

You're not the first to report having seen fares show up in an unusual currency -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-currency.html .

Just to make sure this isn't user error, were you using the united.com "advanced search", which lets you specify a country of purchase? There's a "Billing Address Country" field beneath the "Offer Code" and above "Nonstop Flights Only".

If you see GBP fares you can always set this back to USD by picking US as your billing address country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.