Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Fees for a change or cancellation:

• There are fees for some changes and cancellations, so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
No change of this type requires anything close to 3 hours. It just requires an agent who knows what they are doing.

I wouldn't even hesitate for a second - I would be on the phone right now. Much, much better product in every way.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by star_world
No change of this type requires anything close to 3 hours. It just requires an agent who knows what they are doing.

I wouldn't even hesitate for a second - I would be on the phone right now. Much, much better product in every way.
The thing is it won't price because of the OJ stop-over in europe and I guess getting an agent competant enough to find the routing back in F and a supervisor competant enough to price is is really hard. It took me about 40 minutes to find a competant agent and another 2 hours to wait for the supervisor to get it priced. Then another hour and a half to issue an updated ticket receipt.

I'll definitely call again after I get some breakfast. I've never actually flown on global first, but it looks like it's really bad compared to LH, Swiss and Thai which is what I'm used to.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

I don't think this will auto-price on a partially flown ticket. While 3 hours is certainly on the high side, a lengthy wait on this type of change should most certainly be expected. I get those all the time on regular straight domestic reissues.

Only way to find out is to give it a try. I would budget 30 minutes for this type of change, and only call if I had an hour to kill. It's simply the cost of doing business with the new United using CO's antiquated technology.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:59 pm

If O cabin award (global first) is downgraded to business...

I had a ticketed global first saver award (o cabin) from munich to Chicago, the plane has now changed to a 767 business first configuration, and my reservation was adjusted accordingly, but I have not acknowledged the changes.

Being a general member, if I wish to cancel this leg and redeposit the miles, can I do so without the redeposit fee provided I haven't accepted the schedule and cabin change?

Anyone experience this yet? I used miles for flying first on a 3 cabin configuration, not a 2 cabin. Would UAL charge me to refund the miles given they downgraded me?

John
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsmirand
I had a ticketed global first saver award (o cabin) from munich to Chicago, the plane has now changed to a 767 business first configuration, and my reservation was adjusted accordingly, but I have not acknowledged the changes.

Being a general member, if I wish to cancel this leg and redeposit the miles, can I do so without the redeposit fee provided I haven't accepted the schedule and cabin change?

Anyone experience this yet? I used miles for flying first on a 3 cabin configuration, not a 2 cabin. Would UAL charge me to refund the miles given they downgraded me?

John

you will get a full refund, else you can ask them to switch you via e.g. IAD in First.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
So I want to book UA orf-dca-lga, and it puts me on a USairways, but I want to change it to orf-dca-jfk later if it becomes available on same day, its this possible?
1. not sure on the rules on nyc, same city but different airport
2. its booked on UA but travel on usairways
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:20 am

Thanks all, I got a full mileage refund without incurring any redeposit fees because I did not accept the itinerary changes that involuntarily downgraded us from global first to business first as a result of equipment change in my upcoming itinerary. Is this policy true for any itinerary change at all, or only if cabin class is affected?

As it turns out we were canceling our plans anyways, so this was fortuitous that I didn't cancel right away as I would have incurred mileage redeposit fees, but by waiting, and in this setting, having the equipment change, this saved me $150.

I think the lesson for me here is if I have an award trip that I want to cancel I should wait as long as possible before letting go of the reservation to 1) Defer giving UA $150 into a future date 2) Having a chance of not paying anything if the itinerary should change in a way that waives the redeposit fee. The only caveat I can see is if the miles locked up in the existing reservation are needed for some other booking.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:33 pm

No fee to change from Standard Business to Standard Economy award?

Anyone can confirm this? I actually talked to a rep and they basically said they don't know unless I actually ask them to do it.

I noticed on the website they charge a fee to change "type" of award. I booked a short flight in standard business from NRT-HKG because there was no availability in economy, and now I noticed there's availability. I don't care about flying in business since its a pretty short flight, so would like to save 10,000 miles if possible, but a $50 fee (I'm silver) would make this not worthwhile.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:36 pm

any way to avoid award booking cancellation fees

hi guys, here is my situation. I got in on R3 of the RGN fare and currently have a mileageplus award booking as my back up in case the ticket isnt honored. If i do end up on the R3 fare, is there a way to cancel or change the award ticket with out incurring the change fee? I am a lowly gold, so i will have to pay $100 to change, but i read on united.com that i can change either the origin or destination for $25? Is it possible to change both the origin and destination? as i will have travel coming up that i can use those miles for as well? thanks
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
I recently booked an NYC>BKK reward with a return. I did an OJ stop-over in europe though and had the ticket re-issued a few times because of this. The last time was a huge hassle and I was on the phone for like 3 hours. Right now I'm booked on BKK-NRT-IAD-lGA on my return all on United in F. I was checking though and saw availability on the same routes on Thai and ANA in F. If I call them will it be easy for them to change everything or will they have to re-issue the ticket from the start completely again (I really don't want to be on the phone for 3 hours again)
A good agent can do this in 15 min. All she has to do is rebook the flights you want first, then cancel the ones you don't want. The computer will auto fare it in case if any tax differences (should not be since same routing) and that's it. Make sure she emails the tkt to you while your on the phone. That was you know it's re ticketed. Call ANA & THAI to get seat assignments. I've done this kind of change a million times and have never been in the phone more then 15 min. Both UA & CO agents can both do it quickly. (If you don't like the sound of the agent when they pick up the phone hang right up and call back - up you need to trust your gut on this
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:37 am

Cancelleation fee due to 2 PNR numbers

Hello All - We( me and wife) had booked award tickets to paris from houston one way and we were returning from brussels to houston due to unavailability of return flights from Paris. This created 2 separate reservations. We decided to cancel the tickets and united wants to charge 600 to redeposit the miles. What can be done to have united charge only 300.

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jaegermister
Hello All - We( me and wife) had booked award tickets to paris from houston one way and we were returning from brussels to houston due to unavailability of return flights from Paris. This created 2 separate reservations. We decided to cancel the tickets and united wants to charge 600 to redeposit the miles. What can be done to have united charge only 300.

Thanks
You could have booked the original trip as a single booking returning from Brussels - this is completely allowed on a UA award ticket. So there was no need to book this as two one-ways.

It's unlikely that UA will do anything (they certainly don't have to) but it's worth asking them if they will do you a favour and treat the two as a single "trip" that you're cancelling.

I would expect to pay the $600 though.

Is the trip completely cancelled or is there a chance you'll fly some other time? You can change the dates for free if it's >21 days out and change the origin / destination cities for half of the amount you're looking at to cancel.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:41 pm

You could have booked the original trip as a single booking returning from Brussels - this is completely allowed on a UA award ticket. So there was no need to book this as two one-ways.

It's unlikely that UA will do anything (they certainly don't have to) but it's worth asking them if they will do you a favour and treat the two as a single "trip" that you're cancelling.

I would expect to pay the $600 though.

Is the trip completely cancelled or is there a chance you'll fly some other time? You can change the dates for free if it's >21 days out and change the origin / destination cities for half of the amount you're looking at to cancel.
i have a similar situation, so i can change both the origin and destination?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:02 am

I have a one-way award reservation DFW-EWR-LHR via United on both legs, how much is the fee if I were to change to DFW-FRA-LHR via Lufthansa? Is there anyway to avoid the fee?

I know that AA does not charge since the origin and destination are the same but I got mixed information about United.

BTW, I have no status on United.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 18, 2013 at 6:18 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by chinesescouse
I just called a United rep and cancelled my itin for later on this year to Asia (130K r/t). I was expecting to cancel and recoup my miles with a charge to putting it back into my a/c. The agent said that instead of putting the miles back into my account, that I could just hold on to my PNR # and make my future award reservations under the same PNR. This PNR would hold a balance of miles that I had used.
  • Has anyone experienced this before?
  • Is this a good way to avoid charges?

The rep informed me that if I had booked a future award ticket with the PNR of the itin I just cancelled, and that left a balance (i.e. domestic (50K r/t)), that another PNR could be created for the balance (in this case 80K)

Obviously the nuisance is that I have to keep track of this PNR # and the credit of the taxes.
So with that PNR, can you create a completely different itinerary? or did it have to be the same routing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.