Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA Restrict F Award to LH,LX, SQ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 pm

Now holding two first class award tickets SFO-FRA in late November. Should I be on the lookout for first class on the LH flight which leaves one hour after the UA flight - perhaps a week or two before departure? Is there a change fee if I am able to switch to LH?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Did UA honour the 4 miles? From what I read they didn't.

I'm trying to book on miles in F DUS-ORD on the 17th of September and it shows available but I can't book it. When I play around and try booking from other cities, it routes through DUS on the same flight but won't go through. Very frustrating!
They already did and they WILL continue to do so. The precedent has already been set.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
This information has not been correct for some time

1. LX has now stopped making F seats avail for non M&M award travel. All those flights you saw a month ago with plenty of LX F space (ZRH-JNB, NRT-ZRH) are gone. M&M has decided to make LH he airline where F award seats are bookable.

You can find a LH F seat now on almost any route. Even the 380's & 747-8. The trick is they usually only open these seats up at T-14 and then again at T-7. Since the UA site is useless for booking LH (so much phantom availability) the only way to really check and see if a seat in F is avail is the ANA site
For NRT-Europe there is usually a lot of availability. However, the UA website often shows F on the A380 but if you try to book it then it doesn't work on the last step. You don't encounter that problem for C class or the flight to MUC.

I booked LX F in March or April for a flight in June. It wasn't that great even though I was the only passenger. (It's of course much better then UA, but I had higher expectations.)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by upnup
Now holding two first class award tickets SFO-FRA in late November. Should I be on the lookout for first class on the LH flight which leaves one hour after the UA flight - perhaps a week or two before departure? Is there a change fee if I am able to switch to LH?
Depends on your level. 1K, no fee. Less status, $25-$75 change fee (see bottom row in chart):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by gnaget
For NRT-Europe there is usually a lot of availability. However, the UA website often shows F on the A380 but if you try to book it then it doesn't work on the last step. You don't encounter that problem for C class or the flight to MUC.

I booked LX F in March or April for a flight in June. It wasn't that great even though I was the only passenger. (It's of course much better then UA, but I had higher expectations.)
The LH 380 from NRT-FRA is avail almost every day. However they sometimes don't open those seats till 2-7 days out. I booked it FRA-NRT 2 weeks out but the return date I wanted was not avail till 3 days out. It no problem if your a plat or above as there are no fees but under that level, you must pay for each change. The reason you have no trouble booking NRT-MUC is that flight is usually avail before 14 days. It is not a popular flight with full F passengers (A340 w old F product). Most people paying for actual F will prefer the 380 and go thru FRA. EIther way you end up in MUC the same time in the afternoon

LX F was avail just like LH F up till a few weeks ago. They then announced they were pulling the F availability and by checking flights that used to have plenty of space (NRT-ZRH or ZRH-JNB it looks like they did pull all this space (however some people say they do release it again within 1-3 days)

For LH F everyone needs to forget looking for availability on the UA site. 90% of what shows as avail is just ghost availability. Your time would be better spent taking a long walk. The ONLY way to find true LH F avail is thru the ANA site. STOP WASTING TIME ON THE UA SITE TRYING TO BOOK LH F. 90% OF THE TIME IT WINT GO THRU
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I booked CDG-ZRH-BKK on LX F in May for a June departure and 2 CDG-ZRH-PEK in May as well in F for a December departure
No problem at all
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by thierry
I booked CDG-ZRH-BKK on LX F in May for a June departure and 2 CDG-ZRH-PEK in May as well in F for a December departure
No problem at all
Yeah but the point is you can't do that now. LX had plenty of F availability all over the map. About 3-4 weeks ago it was all yanked. You now can't find an F reward seat anywhere on LX (except I have heard some reports of them opening seats 1-3 days out)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Yeah but the point is you can't do that now. LX had plenty of F availability all over the map. About 3-4 weeks ago it was all yanked. You now can't find an F reward seat anywhere on LX (except I have heard some reports of them opening seats 1-3 days out)
+1.
Seen flights leave with 9 F seats not sold & no avail even 1 hour before departure.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
+1.
Seen flights leave with 9 F seats not sold & no avail even 1 hour before departure.
If that's the case why continue having a First cabin? SQ is learning that flying around with empty premium cabins doesn't help the bottom line in a tight economy. Better to use that real estate for something that generates cash.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gnaget

why was it not great?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
If that's the case why continue having a First cabin? SQ is learning that flying around with empty premium cabins doesn't help the bottom line in a tight economy. Better to use that real estate for something that generates cash.
Who says SQ is learning anything. They issued a bunch if F award seats by accident and while it looks like they will all be honored, they went right back to ZERO award availability in F for awards. I fly SQ fairly often in F and many many times I have been the only F passenger or at worst 1 of 3 or 4 (some routes are an exception and are full). There is no indication I have seen that SQ plans to change anything
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:37 pm

lx53 bos-zrh: 8 F award seats showing avail tonight--phantom availability?

ual.com is showing 8 award seats in F on tonight's Swiss LX53 flight from BOS-ZRH. (It leaves in 10 minutes). I had thought Swiss F was not available to partners any longer. Has this recently changed, or is ual.com showing phantom Swiss availability as it does with LH? Aeroplan also shows 8 seats in F tonight on the same flight. ANA does not support searching for award flights leaving today so I can't cross-check with any other source.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I have never seen LX F show as phantom, it just never showed up in the past year or so. So I'd say it may have actually been available?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
who knows when it actually came available but at T-:10, there is little danger in someone actually getting use out of it as LX fears might happen.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ddrost1
who knows when it actually came available but at T-:10, there is little danger in someone actually getting use out of it as LX fears might happen.
Correct but if you could score a C award, a few days out, and just wait be the last person to board, ready to spend a few more miles this could pan out..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.