Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-PEN on United "Operated by Cathay Pacific?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-PEN on United "Operated by Cathay Pacific?"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, BonVoy Lifetime Titanium
Question HKG-PEN on United "Operated by Cathay Pacific?"

Hi All, I apologize in advance if this is in the FAQ somewhere and I missed it. I have checked there and done multiple searches.

I have a round trip booked with United on united.com form PDX to Penang Malaysia in August. The HKG-PEN leg is showing on United as "operated by Cathay Pacific". Is this a codeshare or what? They are not part of *A and I am wondering if I will even get miles for this. Why would United book a non *A (and non-partner) airline as part of an itinerary booked on their website

Thanks

Roy

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 10, 2012 at 4:52 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by royehill
Hi All, I apologize in advance if this is in the FAQ somewhere and I missed it. I have checked there and done multiple searches.

I have a round trip booked with United on united.com form PDX to Penang Malaysia in August. The HKG-PEN leg is showing on United as "operated by Cathay Pacific". Is this a codeshare or what? They are not part of *A and I am wondering if I will even get miles for this. Why would United book a non *A (and non-partner) airline as part of an itinerary booked on their website

Thanks

Roy
A number of airlines can interline with each other. No *A airline flies HKG-PEN nonstop, so UA put you on the CX nonstop as an interline over routing you HKG-SIN/BKK-PEN (TG only flies BKK-PEN 1x a day, so the timing on those flights might not be good.)

If losing the miles freaks you out (though with a PDX-SFO/ORD-HKG-PEN itinerary already being 24 hours of flying, I might not want to add ANOTHER connection for a few thousand miles and adding MORE time flying, unless I was desperate for EQ-er, oh, wait this is FlyerTalk, of course you want the EQM), ask to route HKG-SIN/BKK-PEN on SQ/MI(SilkAir) or TG. (BTW- you won't get UA miles or EQM on MI for the SIN-PEN leg either, should you choose that routing. SilkAir is not in *A, nor is it a UA partner.)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

eponymous_coward,
Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I thought, no award miles or EQM...That's OK. I'm sitting at 122K right now. I just did not understand why it would say "operated by" if it wasn't at least a code-share. My main reason for the HKG connection was United metal for the long-haul portion vs. a *A partner or code-share on that leg (no chance of upgrade). I am already confirmed in Biz first on the return but the outbound leg is still wait listed on a GPU.

I don't want to add to the already long trip for that amount of mileage so I will just fly it like it stands.

At least it is a Y fare on Cathay so maybe they will be nice to me...I can only hope.

Cheers,

Roy
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Remember that you can credit CX miles to AS if you want an alternative to CX/AA.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by royehill
eponymous_coward,
Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I thought, no award miles or EQM...That's OK. I'm sitting at 122K right now. I just did not understand why it would say "operated by" if it wasn't at least a code-share.
When you view the reservation does it have a CX flight number? That's the easiest way to determine if it's a codeshare or not. Regardless, everything said above about not earning miles on the segment is true.

I believe the website says "operated by" for all other airline segments now, although not 100% certain.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Santander,
That is at least a small benefit, I do have a AS FF #. Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:40 am

This is from Alaska's website with regards to earning miles in Economy:

Economy Cabin: Earn actual flight miles* flown in Y, H, or K classes of service. Earn 50% of actual flight miles* flown in L, M or V classes of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.